Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

HELP Outback options

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 06:38 AM

Car Info: outback
HELP Outback options

Hi,

I'm in the lucky position to be buy a new outback. I can't decide between the 2.5 turbo or the 3.0 LL Bean.What do you think?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:02 AM

depends on application

it depends on what you're doing with it. The H6 is heavier, smoother, and has more torque, especially at low RPM's than the Turbo. The LL Bean is not available in a stick however. If 5 speed is important, then your only choice is the 2.5L Turbo, which is a great choice.
If not, if you're looking for a nice smooth ride with plenty of power and good luxury features, go LL Bean. If you want a more sporty feel, go with the 2.5XT. Differences are subtle.

In my humble completely uneducated opinion, they are functionally equivalent vehicles, and Subaru should not build both (nor should they build both an Outback and a Legacy Wagon), since I can't think of a single buyer of any of those vehicles who, in the absence of their "first choice" configuration would buy a car from another manufacturer rather than just getting a different Subaru. Further, the 3.0 H6 powerplant is the future of that company, and will be integrated into more and more Subaru designs in the next few years, so I don't see why they began, at this stage, even offering the 2.5L turbo in any application other than Impreza and Forester.