Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Having engine troubles.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 11:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX
Having engine troubles.

Hey guys,

So here's the history. 2002 WRX, roughly 74,000. Here's the situation, I've noticed a power loss. If I am at a stop, put it into 1st and get going how I normally do, even when it revs to 4,000rpm it still is barely moving, I barely hit 20mph before I have to shift. It feels like the car is not pulling at all. I've noticed this in at least the first 3 gears, the car doesn't feel like it's moving at all.

Also, when I push the throttle barely, the throttle revs really high, more than usual and then drops down to where it should be.

I need to replace the Alternator belt since it's starting to give, does anybody have an idea as to what the problem could be?

Also, my idle is really low, between 750 and 500rpm. Should it be higher? If so, could this be a cause as to why it's not pulling as strong? This has recently become a problem.

Kevin
Old 11-04-2007, 02:53 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I think your clutch is slipping, probably due to wear if it is the original factory clutch.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
I think your clutch is slipping, probably due to wear if it is the original factory clutch.
I second that notion.

Kevin,
what happens if you don't touch the throttle at all and release in the clutch? Your RPM is fine, mines the same way and has been for the past 4 years.

Last edited by newyorkreload; 11-04-2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by nkghost
Hey guys,

So here's the history. 2002 WRX, roughly 74,000. Here's the situation, I've noticed a power loss. If I am at a stop, put it into 1st and get going how I normally do, even when it revs to 4,000rpm it still is barely moving, I barely hit 20mph before I have to shift. It feels like the car is not pulling at all. I've noticed this in at least the first 3 gears, the car doesn't feel like it's moving at all.

Also, when I push the throttle barely, the throttle revs really high, more than usual and then drops down to where it should be.

I need to replace the Alternator belt since it's starting to give, does anybody have an idea as to what the problem could be?

Also, my idle is really low, between 750 and 500rpm. Should it be higher? If so, could this be a cause as to why it's not pulling as strong? This has recently become a problem.

Kevin
Any CEL's whatsoever? Any usual high revving at idle from time to time? It could be a couple of things. I'm guessing your saying that when your in the first 3 gears it feels like there's barely any power and when your in forth and higher there is power?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by strider327
Any CEL's whatsoever? Any usual high revving at idle from time to time? It could be a couple of things. I'm guessing your saying that when your in the first 3 gears it feels like there's barely any power and when your in forth and higher there is power?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no CEL's, and I haven't noticed any unusual revving at idle. I thought it was the fisrt 3 gears but it feels like it's all gears. I'll shift like normal (usually on the freeway) and the rpm will jump like 750rpm over where it should be and it feels like it's just revving and then it drops down.

Like you all said, I think the clutch is slipping. This car is costing me too much lol. I am pretty sure the previous owner said he replaced the clutch a good 4-6months before I bought it (So it's roughly 1yr old) I'll have to go back and check though.

Any idea how much a clutch will cost me?

Kevin
Old 11-04-2007, 08:28 AM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Shouldn't be more than $500

OEM Clutch =0
Old 11-04-2007, 08:47 AM

Would it be worth upgrading the clutch at this point?

Checking out speed element (considering just the clutch I found the 2 for my car around the same price.)

http://www.speedelement.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=38

or

http://www.speedelement.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=38
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 AM

Just go OEM.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:34 AM

http://www.clutchcityonline.com/subaru_wrx.htm Has anyone dealt with this site? It's the lowest price I've seen for a clutch.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:42 AM

^ No but they look legit.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:46 AM

I need to schedule an appointment to have the car checked out before I go and buy things without knowing compeltely what I need.

I know I need to replace the Serpentine/V-belts. Does anyone have a website with really good prices on OEM belts? Livermore Subaru quoted me like $40.00 and when I got there to buy them the dude left, after I fought 580 traffic to get there. So I rather not deal with that ****ty Subaru Dealership anymore.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:56 PM

Do you plan to service the clutch and other maintenance items yourself? You might have one of our vendor shops check out your car to see what is needed as far as periodic maintenance. I think they usually try to cut customers some slack on the retail pricing of the parts since they make money on the labor side, but ask around.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:15 PM

Hey guys needing more help. So on top of basically needing a new clutch, getting new Serpentine Belts and getting the overdue 60k tuneup, I wanted to put my BOV back to stock because the previous owner put some obnoxious purple greedy type S BOV. I took it off and undid the smaller hose that hooks in to the right and was going to unplug the bottom return line but had to get to work, so instead I just put the Greddy BOV back on so I can go to work and I would put it back to stock tomorrow.

I put it on and go inside and get ready, as I'm about to leave to go to work I turn the car on and it is running super rough, and sounds like I have camwork, even my neighbor thought I did and asked. I checked all the 2 bolts which are tight and the 1 side hose is on tight but now the gauge isn't moving for it, and it isn't giving the BOV sound. Also, I just got a CEL after a few hours when I went to go get lunch while on a break, and the car isn't giving the normal whoosh sound. On top of all this, the engine sounds like it's sucking in more air when at idle and the engine seems to be rocking a bit like it's luggish.

I need to get this damn car fixed I'm stuck 30 mins away from home and I'm not comfortable driving it back home with a CEL and these stupid problems. HELP!!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:26 PM

Really need help guys, bump!
Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 AM

You have a vacuum leak. It's likely something that occurred when you removed then replaced that BOV. I've never had an aftermarket BOV and can't see what you've done. Just check all hose connections, hoses and tubing for minute splits or cracks, and flange surfaces.

Quick Reply: Having engine troubles.