Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

(dealer recommends) Never use synthetic oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Never use synthetic oil?

I went to the dealership yesterday for my 2nd oil change and asked when is a good time to switch to synthetic oil. I only have 6500 mile on my 05 wrx. They said I should never switch to synthetic oil because it is too thick and does harm to the valves. Is this true? I thought synthetic was thinner than regular oil and better for the engine. I know many of you out here use synthetic. Does the dealership know what they are talking about? Has anybody ever had problems using synthetic? Any insight is appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-17-2006, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Dealership is wrong. Modern synthetics meet warranty requirements. Synthetic oil flows better than conventional motor oil at all temperatures, especially when cold, but protects better whether hot or cold. Just select the proper weight oil from the chart in your Owner's Manual. For me, I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in the temperature range from 35 to near 100 degrees (F) in my location. I have 65,000+ miles on my engine, '02 WRX.

Some will also tell you that synthetics cause engine seals to swell and leak - my car does not leak oil.

I can think of no reason to use conventional motor oil other than for engine break-in or if you are on a really tight budget (as long as you still change oil frequently).

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-17-2006, 01:21 PM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si

You need a new place for service.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '94 WRX, '97 Forester S/Tb, '95 WRX-RA
+1 for that.

I should have taken pictures of under my valve covers (I run Mobil 1 synthetic) and under my friends' (he runs Pennzoil classic yellow bottle) when we replaced the seals. Both of our cars have similar (60K) mileage and are driven aggressively. My valve covers had almost no build-up at all except a bit in the corners (very light brown, like honey) and my friend spent 30 minutes at the parts washer trying to remove the buildup on his covers (brown/black). I can only imagine what the rest of his engine internals look like.

Go back to the dealership and smack that mechanic in the face, pimp-style.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
It was a female at the dealership who told this to me. I don't think she was a mechanic probably just a cashier. So about how many miles were on your car when you switched to synthetic? Right now I have 6500 and many people are saying it is too early to switch. maybe 10k
Old 04-20-2006, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
I would wait until you are broken in a little more. I switched around 10 or 12 k with my 05. The dealer told me the same thing he said"Subaru does not recommend synthetic oil". And after that i went straight to gruppe-s and had synthetic put in. Synthetic does not burn as fast as regular oil. I have had no problems from using synthetic. Red line 10W-30 synthetic.

E
Old 04-20-2006, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I don't think that lady at the dealership made up those statements off the top of her head - she was repeating what some other idiot told her.

In any case, how many miles to switch from regular motor oil to synthetic is always a topic of debate. I switched at just over 1000 miles but I now believe that is way too soon. Ideally the engines parts should be completely broken in, meaning piston rings fully seated, bearing surfaces scuffed in, camshaft lobes polished smooth, etc. If I had to do it all over again, I would switch oils between 5000 and 10,000 miles (but I'm open to other ideas!).

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
-j-

Car Info: 2006 Audi A3/2007 Civic Si
I did the switch at about 10K. I never did get around to switching to M1 for teh tranny though.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:38 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
EVO engines come with Mobile1 in them already...I personally think all this 'when to switch to synth' stuff is a gigantic urban legend thing going on. And it's partially fueled by dealers actually wanting cars to wear out so they can sell more.

Lots of cars come with synthetic now; and it's not just super high end cars like lambos and ferraris. It's evos and lexuses....if their engines are fine coming with synth from the factory, I can't immagine that subaru's engines are so differently manufactured that there'd be a problem using synthetic right from the start.

I switched to synth at about 2k, and I haven't seen any problems at all with it at all. Same mileage, same power (feel at least), no or very very little oil consumption between changes.

Last edited by MVWRX; 04-20-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:23 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
FWIW I switched to redline synthetic 5w30 at the first oil change of 3750 miles. OEM filter and oil changes every 4-6K miles (whenever I get the chance).

Now at 54K miles it feels great and only consumes oil when I beat it like an unwanted stepchild.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:24 PM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
I used to take my car to the dealer for service and they always put M1 in my car. The only time it has had other than synthetic was for my turbo swap. I have had no leaking or consumption issues.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Car Info: 06 STI WRB/Gold
Originally Posted by subie OCD
FWIW I switched to redline synthetic 5w30 at the first oil change of 3750 miles. OEM filter and oil changes every 4-6K miles (whenever I get the chance).

Now at 54K miles it feels great and only consumes oil when I beat it like an unwanted stepchild.
Can it be a red headed step child
Old 04-20-2006, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by lovesmysuby04
Can it be a red headed step child
yeah they're the worst ones :rotfl:

on a serious note, I add 1-2 quarts in a 4-6K oil change interval. I would go longer 7-8K but the filter needs to be changed. Ive considered just changing the filter and adding oil but the idea of new fresh oil always gets the best of me
Old 04-21-2006, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
I had someone at a dealership tell me that the WRX had a six cylinder. I told the guy it was a turbo charged flat 4, and he told me I didn't know what I was talking about. Please, never believe anything told to you at a dealership without verifying it.

Edit: Oh yeah, this was at Steven's Creek Subaru in San Jose. They suck on many levels! lol
Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX STI
Stevens creek dillweeds

Those guys never cease to amaze me. A WRX with a 6 cylinder,,,,WTF?!?!?!?!

Unbelievable.

E

Quick Reply: (dealer recommends) Never use synthetic oil?