Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Dealer Covered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:59 PM

Dealer Covered?

Hi,

I bought my car in april of 04' and now has about 44K miles on it. I never really had to take it to dealer and did my own oil changes. My trans is now stuck in 4th gear, which Im assuming is going to be a big trans job.

I have the following mods.

04 Subaru WRX

- AccessPort v1 w/ stage 2 map.
- Stromung 3 " catless TBE
- Helix catless uppipe
- Cusco Heatshield
- Perrin IC Hoses
- K&N Filter w/ silencer mod
- Prodrive Lowering Springs
- 17x7 Rota subzeros w/ 225/47/17 S03's

I have all the stock parts. I will revert back to stock everything except uppipe and lowering springs because they are kind of a pain in the ***, o course Im trying to take the least amount off as possible. Do you think the trans will be covered under warranty?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:40 AM

Car Info: WRB 05 STi+04 Mini Cooper S
you should be fine because you should have the 5 year drive train warrenty try to cover the up pipe cuz they might see it, to the fact that they are right up in that area if its not flashy its cool, i know how you feel man i got a 06 wrx with a butt load of after market mods and i had to go back to stock cuz my 3rd gear blew, and the most important part stick to your guns and say i never race or abuse my car because now the dealer ships have pictures of abused trannys that they will try to blame you for just abusing yours, say i never abuse my car and if they get to assey with you just throw some threats like, i dont want the car any more,etc hope i helped and sorry for the novel :RockOn - not mine:
Old 05-31-2007, 03:43 PM

Thanks for your inputs.

I work at a vw dealership so I understand how warranty works, just not subaru's. I'll definitely go in with a calm and cool attitude and if they refuse I'll just got straight to SOA. I don't go to the dealership because I only trust myself to work on my car. Even though I have those mods, I really dont beat it at all and the trans should of lasted much longer than this. I may end up going into detail if they try to give me some bull**** story on what happened to my trans.

Again, thanks for any help.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:23 PM

The dealer will want to see evidence that maintenance was done on the car. For example, did you change the tranny and diff oil at 30k as required? If so, did you keep the receipts for the parts/fluids used? If you turn up at the dealer with no proof of maintenance on a 44k car, they'll probably (quite reasonably) refuse warranty fixes.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lorry
The dealer will want to see evidence that maintenance was done on the car. For example, did you change the tranny and diff oil at 30k as required? If so, did you keep the receipts for the parts/fluids used? If you turn up at the dealer with no proof of maintenance on a 44k car, they'll probably (quite reasonably) refuse warranty fixes.
No, I didnt change the trans and rear diff oil. The mainenance book only says inspect it and not replace. I did inspect trans fluid and looked fine, although I didnt check rear diff fluid..
Old 06-10-2007, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
All those mods, and no fluid change?
Good luck with that warranty.

There is a side note to the maintenance schedule:

"3. under severe driving replace 30,000"

Last edited by wrexr; 06-10-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by wrexr
All those mods, and no fluid change?
Good luck with that warranty.

There is a side note to the maintenance schedule:

"3. under severe driving replace 30,000"
Whats considered severe driving?

Like I said, I dont beat on my car even though I have my mods. Havent gone to race track or anything like that. Its a daily driven car, mostly highway miles.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Car Info: murdered out 06 WRX, but now is gone
Originally Posted by 4URABUS
Yeah, that's the attitude to have...

People that have no proof of regular maintenance (as required to maintain warranty eligibility) and then show-up at the dealer demanding that expensive repairs be covered under warranty quickly get labeled as "warranty ******". Act like that and your claim will get shot out of the sky faster than a clay pigeon at an Olympic Men's Trap competition.

In addition, the writers and techs are savvy enough by now to know when a car has been demodded just before it ends up in the service drive. If you cop an attitude walking in the front door, your car will get a same-day roundtrip ride between your place and the dealer on the back of a flatbed truck.

My advice is to play it calm and cool. If the service writer or manager starts asking probing questions, be as general and non-descriptive in telling them what's going on as you can possibly be. Don't say "I think it might be yada yada yada" because they'll know right away that you're an enthusiast and will raise the "abuse" flag before you know it. Good luck.

Cliffs notes: If you act like a tool, you're gonna get hammered!
NO JOKE dude im a service advisor. when people come in with an attitude say by by warranty hello customer pay. lol. just be chill. dont say to much either. try to bring in records. but with no trans service etc . gonna be hard. i do all my own service on the suby but i still keep recipts. ive learned through my job. CYOA!. :RockOn - not mine: hopefully it works out
Old 06-15-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by SooKy
Whats considered severe driving?

Like I said, I dont beat on my car even though I have my mods. Havent gone to race track or anything like that. Its a daily driven car, mostly highway miles.
Having the mods will increase the load on the engine and drivetrain. An 'average' driver has no mods and rarely red-lines the engine. Track/race cars are in another league above 'severe driving' as far as maintenance goes.

Look at it from the dealer's perspective: A guy turns up with a vehicle with no service or maintenance history needing > $4000 work on a blown transmission. Don't be surprised if they want to charge a diagnostic fee up front to cover the initial cost of opening up the transmission. Once inside, they will tell you whether they think it has been 'abused'.

Good luck - let us know what happens.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:44 PM

YEAH it'll be tough. here at my dealership we do warranty thins on alot of veh's that when ya get down to it we could have denied due to mods. yet these customer's are regular's who service all the time. they put good money into the dealer through service etc. if another customer comes in with no service with us there getting the cold shoulder.

yup it was here we start at 240.00 drop pan tear down inspect and fluids. if its warranty $0.00 great. if not were getting at least 240.00 keep us poster on how it goes . hopefully it works in your favor. be as chill as possible. .

there helping you out
Old 06-20-2007, 08:54 AM

Status!?!?