Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

ClubRSX moderator considering STi

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
How about this, hehe, if you buy an STi, I will make you your region's mod. How is that for the extra something special.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by muevelonyc
Evo: its a mistubishi (reliability is in question), clutch dies at 3k-5k miles, rear seats don't fold down, no HID
EVO has HID, just not the stripped RS version. Also our USDM STi don't have rear fold seats either.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:56 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i will praise the STi as objectively as possible.
1st let me say - welcome.

i will preach my disclaimer like i always do. i was raised on subarus- i have a wrx wagon and a STi. and i also sell subarus. i swear by their reliability. my dads subarus were used to go up Mauna Kea on family outings. all three of his cars(brat, dl wagon and a gl) are still running- 2 with 300,000 miles with no major rebuild necessary. grant it the bodies are rusted out...but they run.

both my wagon and STi are daily driven and no major complaints. i think the 2.0 liter turbo has a much deeper history in terms of being reliable and the 2.5T still having to prove itself in the u.s. market. there are some minor things that i dislike- the doors for example can sound "hollow" but the workmanship overall is good.
subaru's generally hold their value pretty well also.(due to small production numbers) the plastics don't really bother me.(except for the MY05 one)
the AWD systems are just... unreal. you figure subaru has been using it for almost 30 years.(with some "dark" FWD days)

with all models you are considering i highly recommend the STi anyday- the only one even coming close to my second choice is the infiniti. and that's stretching it.

keep in mind that subaru's are a little more picky in terms of maintenance- but not by a huge margin(e.g. it's almost mandatory to run synthetic in the STi due to the nature of the car...which i wish the factory put in the car in the first place.)

this is all i have for now--- but i have lots more... as i can go on all day. . .

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 08-01-2004, 03:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
sorry to go off track, but do your rsx guys know your doing this? i know a lot of acura guys and they kinda mean when it comes to other cars, but that might be a bay area asian thing lol
Old 08-01-2004, 07:48 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
I have 130k on my car. I've replaced the clutch on my car at 98,000 miles.

I run it hard everyday. I also compete in SCCA Solo2 with it. It's not an STi, its an RS, but the typical realibility is all the same really. If you maintain it, meaning, if you change the oil, plugs, and keep the battery clean etc etc on a timely manner, you will have a car that will go over 120k without issue. I can see one go to 200k, but i'm not sure after that. Truth is, wrx/sti are just too new in the US, so it's hard to tell how long they will last before major rebuild. I'm trying to think if any RS's have made it to the 200k mileage mark. I'm not sure if they have.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Final Questions:

1. Whats the highest miledge reported by a WRX or an STi?
2. Any known problems? What are common problems found with the WRX or STi?
3. What is the most common modification right after getting it? (ie: for the Evo it's always ceramic clutch replacing the stock, the RSX it's replacing the crappy michelin tires)
4. Realistic city/highway fuel milege (real world #'s)
5. nitpicky complaints? (seats a tad narrow, don't like where the clock is, etc)
6. Has anyone come up with a fix from theives opening the WRX/STi trunk with a coathanger and jacking everything in the trunk?
1. Entirely depends on your ability to maintain and care for the care. Honestly, I don't think any major modern manufacturers builds a motor that won't go 150k pretty easily, high-performance engines included. Chances are you'll be ready for the latest and greatest in 7-8 years anyway (around the 100k mark for the average driver).

2. No widespread problems so far. Since you're only considering the STi you're avoiding potentially overloading your transmission at some point. The 6MT is perhaps the best gearbox in a car on the market for less than twice the STi's cost.

3. For an STi, here's your first shopping list:
*Ferodo DS2500 brake pads in the front
*Stainless steel brake lines
*Steering rack bushings
*Turboback and reflash (gains close to 75 crank horsepower)
*rear sway bar
*winter wheels/tires. Don't sell the stock wheels or tires, they are superb in the summer.

4. Depends on your right foot. Expect a tip-top freeway mileage around 25 mpg, and a minimum of 14-16 when you're really spanking it. Don't plan backroad excursions more than 150 miles between gas stations.

5. Most people think the seats are too wide. Some don't like the attention the wing gets.

6. You can flip the lever in the trunk to disable the remote latch.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
If you take a look at the outback xt limited while you're at it, its high enough to make sure you'll never get own3d by snow ever again.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:41 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i average 18 miles per gallon-
i have 16,000 miles
my only complaint is the typical window squeel.
thats it.

aloha from the summit of Mauna Kea
Old 08-02-2004, 01:44 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Seraph
If you take a look at the outback xt limited while you're at it, its high enough to make sure you'll never get own3d by snow ever again.
True, but compared to an RSX it'll feel like driving a school bus until he lowers it... and then what's the point of having an Outback?

Quick Reply: ClubRSX moderator considering STi