Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Another Tranny Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:44 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX Sedan
A1: It depends on the dealership. My Santa Monica, CA dealer wanted to charge me $85 during my warranty clutch replacement for removing the turbo-back exhaust. "Your aftermarket exhaust is more difficult to remove than the stock, so we have to charge $85 for one hour labor" said my service schmuck... I had to talk to the mechanic to persuade him that my aftermarket exhaust did not take any longer to remove than stock, to which he reluctantly agreed... I hope you have a good understanding and tolerant dealership in your neck of the woods.

A2: Known problems: Driver side floor mat retainer rips out of the floor... Happened to me, Subaru has a repair kit/procedure.
If you have the "morning clutch" (a.k.a cold clutch chatter/judder/shudder?whatever you call it) they'll replace clutch and flywheel for free.
If you have a gauge pack and boost gage has bad illumination, they have a fix,
If the brakes (fronts) are low they'll replace for free under 36K mi.

As far as 1-st gear shifting difficulties, those are relatively common on Imprezas.
At a stop, when you can't shift into first, why dont you try this:
1) Depress the clutch
2) Blurp the throttle (quick stab up to about 2000-2500 rpm)
3) Try to shift into first as the rpms are dropping back to idle
I bet it'll go in like buttah!

Lemme know if it works
Jeers!
Karayzee Maniac!

Last edited by Maniac; 01-04-2004 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:29 AM

I know, I know, but try it anyway... There may be something wrong with the dog teeth in 1st... You should definately have it looked at under warranty, but remember, you have up to 60K mi for that. Just try to avoid unnecessary finagling. I just had my clutch replaced under warranty and now I just have a different problem. The "morning clutch" is gone but now I have a pretty loud 2-nd gear decel noise which is another well documented Impreza problem...
Old 01-04-2004, 01:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Originally posted by Maniac

If the brakes (fronts) are low they'll replace for free under 36K mi.
Karayzee Maniac!
What do you mean if the brakes are low? You mean if the pads have worn down?
Old 01-04-2004, 05:09 PM

KmanRuffian, yes, worn down pads is what I mean. Subaru will replace them for free up to 36000 mi. The only requirement is that you have GENUINE FACTORY SUBARU pads (the blue ones). If you have ANY other pads on there it voids your warranty for the brakes, including rotors...

909, you are welcome! Sometime I have difficulty getting the tranny into first, but I learned to deal with it. I am affraid that if I take it in and they decide to start messing with my tranny they'll screw up something major. I watched the dealer's mechanics and I have NEVER seen them use a torque wrench...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
I posted a reply elsewhere on the how-to's of double clutching, which will not be repeated here. I find that making sure I am a complerte STOP before engaging 1st helps, but it can still balk. A bit of extra revs to match the dogs while just rolling also helps. Agreed: Being able to be in 1st quickly is a safety net, at times. Keep the orbs on the mirror at all times!