Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

alt or battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 AM

Car Info: '98 2.5RS
alt or battery?

so i am recently noticing it takes my car a bit more to start up. its a '98 rs. i know the battery that i got with it when i bought it is pretty old. so i was wondering if the battery could just stop holding a charge and ill just have to get a new one. or will it be my alt too. my car still runs fine and i know i have driven more than 50 miles with this problem and theres no way the battery could run the car on its own the whole time without the alt. but id like some others inputs. thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:59 PM

if your battery terminals are dirty you should clean them and if that doesn't help and you have a trickle charger. put it on the battery and leave it over night. then see if it starts normally. or you can borrow a good battery from another car and see if the problem is fixed. if that doesn't do do anything feel the battery cables after you tried starting it to see if they feel hot to the touch. if they do you might need some new cables.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 07 subaru wrx
You probably have completely different named parts stores in NY than in AZ or CA-does checker or auto zone ring any bells?They're everywhere just under different alias'. Anyway pull into one here and they'll take your battery out and check it for free and also check your alternator out put also free.Why strain yourself?
Old 07-29-2007, 07:09 AM

Car Info: '98 2.5RS
Originally Posted by cowg
You probably have completely different named parts stores in NY than in AZ or CA-does checker or auto zone ring any bells?They're everywhere just under different alias'. Anyway pull into one here and they'll take your battery out and check it for free and also check your alternator out put also free.Why strain yourself?
yep. thanks for the help guys. i forgot all about they would check them. went out and the battery was just not holding a good charge so i bought a new one. thanks again guys.