Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Accessport

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:40 AM

Accessport

So I have an Invidia turbo-back exhaust and it keeps kicking my check engine light, the error codes are for a waste gate error and a catalytic error. If I reset the error it just comes back on. My biggest problem with this is it doesn't allow me to use my cruise control. I was thinking about getting the Cobb Accessport and remapping the ECU, but I don't know if that voids my warranty. I have a 2011 WRX. Any help/clarification would be pretty awesome. Thanks guys.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:53 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
*bangs head on desk* Stop modifying the car until you at least have a hint of what you're doing. Clearly if a problem is there resetting the ECU over and over again isn't going to fix it.....

A tune is 100% mandatory for your mods. You would have known this if you'd done a scrap of research. I hope you've haven't be driving in boost very much. And a tune won't void your warranty, but it can certainly affect your coverage.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-07-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:17 AM

I guess I forgot to mention that I just bought the car used and it came with the exhaust system. But anyways, thank you.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 2012 WRX limited
Well to answer your question without sarcasm modding our cars is great but you absolutely need the accessport with the exhaust. This will keep your cel from coming back on from here on out. Do you have a downpipes as well or just cat back?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Plus if you have to go back in or warranty work just reflag your car back to stock then take it to the dealership
Old 08-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by b-weezy
Well to answer your question without sarcasm modding our cars is great but you absolutely need the accessport with the exhaust. This will keep your cel from coming back on from here on out. Do you have a downpipes as well or just cat back?
No, he doesn't NEED an Accessport, he just needs some form of engine management and a tune.

Plus if you have to go back in or warranty work just reflag your car back to stock then take it to the dealership
Ya, except

A. That's fraud.
B. Dealerships can still tell even when they are unmarried.

FYI, it's not just a matter of the CEL he should be worried about. If he and the previous owner owned it with no engine management there is a risk of engine damage. This is part of why you never buy a car with a CEL or all of the other dash lights lit.

Last edited by Brfatal; 08-12-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by Brfatal
*bangs head on desk* Stop modifying the car until you at least have a hint of what you're doing. Clearly if a problem is there resetting the ECU over and over again isn't going to fix it.....

A tune is 100% mandatory for your mods. You would have known this if you'd done a scrap of research. I hope you've haven't be driving in boost very much. And a tune won't void your warranty, but it can certainly affect your coverage.
Where is the love ? Come on bro, stop with the "holier the thou" BS.. he is asking to learn, so if you need to make a comment, help a brotha out... no need to be harsh.. yeah?

Just get a EMC of some type , the cobb AP is easy to use and has a good help center to call if you need help..
Old 08-12-2012, 10:40 AM

Very true everyone here comes for advice or just to share their knowledge. I thought cobb would be the best option for him seeing that he's fairly new to the subie world just like me.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Originally Posted by ONEMMAFIGHTER
Where is the love ? Come on bro, stop with the "holier the thou" BS.. he is asking to learn, so if you need to make a comment, help a brotha out... no need to be harsh.. yeah?
Either way his post could be received, he violated a basic tenant of car ownership. Buying a car with problems and not understanding what was wrong or modding a car on your own with no research at all before hand. Both are obvious and will save you from a boatload of headaches.

I still helped him.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Get yourself a Cobb Accessport and call it a day.... It should he you with your issues and plus your car will run ALOT better! Good luck
Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I did end up getting the Cobb AP and tuned it stage 2 turbo-back running 93 octane. The issue with the engine light always being on has gone away. Now I've been encountering an issue of a 'catalytic converter solenoid a' error tripping when I drive the car hard. I looked around and it seems that it's a boost issue. Any pointers on that?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Thanks for being less brash. It's a full Invidia turbo-back with an Injen cold air too.

Last edited by paulheav; 11-26-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Technical Know-It-All

You can't use any Cobb OTS maps for that setup. A custom tune is absolutely mandatory for what you have.

Please research before modifying further.

Last edited by Brfatal; 11-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.