Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

2006 sti transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2006 sti
Unhappy 2006 sti transmission

has anybody had trouble w/ the 06 sti tranny. mine just lost first, second, third gear. i have had it for 4 months and commute in it. i have almost 14,000 miles already. i have not launched it but maybe two or three times but i do drive fast in 5th and 6th gear in the freeway. the dealer shiped my tranny to a certifired tech down south who said that it was due to driving and not a dealer malfunction. they are trying to compare it to the wrx problems they had when they came out. i had a 03 wrx and drove it the same with no problems accept for the clutch at 40,000 miles. what can i do to get them to cover it? anybody have some good advice?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
You're going to have to start going up the food chain to get things covered. I know this is far as hell from you, but I hear Santa Cruz is REALLY good about their warranty coverages.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:22 PM
gbh

Car Info: VW R32
Whoa that sounds like balony! How can they claim it was abuse? I have an 06 also but only have about 3500 miles. Hate to hear these kinds of stories. Did you buy your car from this dealer? If so get the GM involved and raise hell. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:35 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX
I have an 06 wrx and just lost 1st and 2nd the shifter won't even go into the gears. Gonna make some calls tommorow I hope that i can get it waranteed. I can't afford a new tranny and paying for a car that don't drive is gonna suck
Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
How do you guys drive, are you banging gears and trying to do burnouts?

The STi tranny is known for durability, and the wrx trannies have been improved upon every year since it's release. I find it kinda hard to believe that you'd lost 3 or more gears in only a few months under normal driving conditions. You can't drive an awd car like it's a mustang. Instead of the tires taking the brunt of the torque, it all goes to the tranny, or if you know how to drive, the clutch.

Would you say the same if you bought a new vette and needed new tires in a month?

Last edited by VIBEELEVEN; 02-12-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
Originally Posted by squaresk8r
has anybody had trouble w/ the 06 sti tranny. mine just lost first, second, third gear. i have had it for 4 months and commute in it. i have almost 14,000 miles already. i have not launched it but maybe two or three times but i do drive fast in 5th and 6th gear in the freeway. the dealer shiped my tranny to a certifired tech down south who said that it was due to driving and not a dealer malfunction. they are trying to compare it to the wrx problems they had when they came out. i had a 03 wrx and drove it the same with no problems accept for the clutch at 40,000 miles. what can i do to get them to cover it? anybody have some good advice?
Have them PROVE it was your driving.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:45 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STi
I just recently had the clutch go out on my STi and they fixed it under warranty. Now i know your problem isnt the clutch BUT if you complain to the dealer enough they WILL fix your car under warranty. So just be persistent and don't let down!

Good luck!
Old 02-13-2006, 06:40 PM

seems like alot of people are having trouble with their 06 transmissions... suprised subaru hasnt fixed all problems with the wrx... i know how the dealer can be, they take forever to do anything, i own an 02 and had the clutch go out at around 60,000 miles, and the tranny went out at about 65,000 miles, its no fun, anyway good luck
Old 03-20-2006, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX + 08 335i + 07 Tahoe Lt3
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN

The STi tranny is known for durability, and the wrx trannies have been improved upon every year since it's release. I find it kinda hard to believe that you'd lost 3 or more gears in only a few months under normal driving conditions. You can't drive an awd car like it's a mustang. Instead of the tires taking the brunt of the torque, it all goes to the tranny, or if you know how to drive, the clutch.

Would you say the same if you bought a new vette and needed new tires in a month?
regardless of banging gears Subaru Tranmissions suck, thats all I have to say lol. We are now in the 06' production and it seems this problem has yet to be fixed. Honestly they should stop production of the wrx lol... either that or redesign a new tranmission. Tired of all these tranmission stories and it sucks for people when the tranny does go out because it has happened to me before and it went out with pretty much regular driving. Not to mention the cost of a new transmission!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA

The gears in my 2003 WRX broke about 9 months ago. Was it because of driver error? I think not. I was in no manner racing it or even shifting fast when the teeth in 2nd gear sheared off. I was at a stoplight and shifted smoothly (and it was seriously smooth) from 1st to 2nd and I heard a horrible snap. My car was not highly modified. I had a Vishnu uppipe and that's it. Subaru has a bad design and they should fix it. They probably won't, though. There's soo many people that break them, how could it not be faulty gears? I grew up driving manual cars (other Subarus also) and never blew trannies. Does every other STi driver break their gears? No. But I know alot of 02-03 WRX trannies that busted. Sure, if it was a few here and a few there, no big deal. But good grief, they are weak!

No, but I would say the same if I bought a 350Z and the tires wore. You must compare apples to apples. We're talking about a faulty transmission design, not whether or not we go do burnouts in our Vette. Same goes for Nissan. They could call it driver error because their tires are wearing too quickly. I'm sure they could come up with something to blame it on like the owner messing with the toe angles, driving too aggresively, etc...
Old 03-20-2006, 05:46 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX + 08 335i + 07 Tahoe Lt3
^^

I say no to subaru trannies
Attached Thumbnails 2006 sti transmission-no-subaru.jpg  

Last edited by bringndefinitio; 03-20-2006 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:40 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 2006
what dealership did you take it to???