Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

'02 & '03 ABS issues (and warranty fix)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 12:43 PM

02 03 ABS issues.

Don't know if this is the right place to post this, but my friend emailed me the following. I already called my dealer and they are ordering the parts needed to fix this for my wagon for free.

> Got a shocking surprise in the mail yesterday. A letter
> from Subaru of America admitting to ABS "delayed response
> issues" with the 2002-2003 WRX and offering a a free updated
> ABS ECU to provide "better braking feel"! The letter is
> carefully worded to avoid calling it braking problem and
> they claim no braking performance impact. But they do
> validate the initial pedal "feel" problem that many WRX
> owners have reported here and in the wrx_recall group.
>
> This is not a recall. But it is a free service offered to
> "enhance your satisfaction". I've had the "initial feel"
> problem and will definitely sign up for the upgraded ECU at
> my next service visit. Everyone else's insights/opinions
> would be welcome. Woo-Hoo!
Old 08-31-2005, 12:54 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
Do I haveto wait for a letter in the mail in order to qualify for this? Or does my car haveto be under warranty?

BTW I love your screen name...haha
Old 08-31-2005, 01:02 PM

I didn't have a letter and my warranty has expired. They are not calling this a "recall" but a "campaign". I made sure they will do this for free before hanging up. They are ordering my part(s) and should arrive next week. I was the second person they are doing this for, so obviously the dealers know about it.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:07 PM
VIP Member

Out of curiosity, which dealership are you having this done at?

Here's a helpful site I came across when I Google'd it...

http://www.cars101.com/recalls.html

It says a letter will be issued to all eligible Subaru owners, but it sounds like it applies to all 02-03 WRX 5 speeds. I noticed my ABS kindof sucked when I hit pot holes and whatnot, but I thought it was just my car. Thanks for posting up about this. It's nice to know I can get this problem fixed!

Oh, and mods, it may be a good idea to move this to the 'Maintenance and Warranty' forum, you know, to spread the word, so it's not stuck in the bay area.

Last edited by slvrsubywgn; 08-31-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
did they give any details as to what this "upgraded ECU" consists of? Would folks with reflashed ECUs need to un-marry their AP or whatnot?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:24 PM

I am having mine done at Albany, when I am there, I will check out the 06's if they have them.

I didn't ask them about any reflash stuff since mine is stock, I didn't even bother asking.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 PM

Car Info: 96 Chevy Impala SS, 06 GMC 2500HD (former 02 WRX)
Got the letter a few days ago. Unfortunately, they also reserve the right to NOT perform the service if you have substantially modified your brake system.

I'm gonna guess that what I have (STI Brembo fronts, H6 rears, better pads all around) is probably not gonna fly???
Old 08-31-2005, 01:47 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by noob4life
I was the second person they are doing this for, so obviously the dealers know about it.
I must have been the first then, I stopped in Monday at lunchtime and made my appointment, they didn't seem to know about it before I showed up though.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Sweet. I just called Subaru in Walnut Creek and set up an appointment for this. One of the guys tried to play hardball with me so I asked to be transferred...and the warranty department knew exactly what I was talking about.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Sweet. I just called Subaru in Walnut Creek and set up an appointment for this. One of the guys tried to play hardball with me so I asked to be transferred...and the warranty department knew exactly what I was talking about.
If your car is modded I would wait there while they do the work, and request that they don't test drive the car. There is another thread somewhere about the techs at Diablo Subaru driving customers' cars pretty hard.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mbquarts
If your car is modded I would wait there while they do the work, and request that they don't test drive the car. There is another thread somewhere about the techs at Diablo Subaru driving customers' cars pretty hard.
Thanks for the heads up mb. I, too, have heard about their driving style. And yes, I am waiting there with my car...they'll be lucky if they get my spare set of keys. I'll probably end up pulling it into the shop for them.

I can always schedule with someone else. Walnut Creek is the closest one, and I sure as heck aint gonna go to Stevens Creek. I almost never go to the dealership to get work done, so I don't know which is best. Where would you suggest?
Old 08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

2 words: santa cruz... nice drive to get there... even a better drive going home...
Old 08-31-2005, 02:24 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
Originally Posted by slvrsubywgn
Thanks for the heads up mb. I, too, have heard about their driving style. And yes, I am waiting there with my car...they'll be lucky if they get my spare set of keys. I'll probably end up pulling it into the shop for them.

I can always schedule with someone else. Walnut Creek is the closest one, and I sure as heck aint gonna go to Stevens Creek. I almost never go to the dealership to get work done, so I don't know which is best. Where would you suggest?
Diablo should be fine if you are going to wait there...I've never really had any "problems" with them other than poor customer service. The lady with the blond hair who works in the service dept is a b****.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:30 PM

Car Info: WR Blue Wagon
I put in an ABS disable switch. No more ABS issues
Old 08-31-2005, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Santa Cruz would be nice..............but not when gas prices jumped 20 cents a gallon lastnight. I'll just go to Diablo and avoid the blonde b****...haha. Thanks mb.

Racenut, do you have info on your ABS switch? I'd like to learn more...that's a cool idea.

Quick Reply: '02 & '03 ABS issues (and warranty fix)