Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

You break it, you buy it - seen Autoweek today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
yeah read that, yup we all know here how "aggresive" SOA can be with their warranty, Im over my warranty anyways so whutevuh
Old 07-08-2004, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
This has been said before...."You gotta pay if you want to play."

If you are so worried about the warranty then don't mod or race your car. Just because SOA gives you a free year SCCA membership with your new car purchase doesn't mean jack.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Originally Posted by jenne313
Well, I'm not over my warranty yet.

Besides that, there's no point to buying a new car for the warranty if there really isn't one.

I think it's atrocious. And I can't believe you are all taking it lying down. That is, until you're the one getting screwed by SOA.

You guys care more about some half-wit from Ohio's new FSM than an outrage in corporate policy's clothing? This is a little scary.
Um, you are buying a new car with a warrenty, it's your choice if you want to race the car or not, they're your choices. If you break a part because you race it's all your fault, yes we drive performance cars but our cars are not race cars, expect things to break don't whine over it. As said before you gotta pay to play.
Old 07-09-2004, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by jenne313
Besides that, there's no point to buying a new car for the warranty if there really isn't one.
There is most certainly a warranty. If you autocross your car and the window stops working, SOA will fix it. They fixed mine. SOA installed a new clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing and related parts for me when I had around 20K miles on the car because the first one would shudder when cold.
Breaking first or second gear may not be covered if it is the result of a drop clutch launch or banging second gear extremely hard. Remember, you are driving an awd car that makes 217 pounds of torque at 4K rpm. If you bang into second gear and don't break the tires loose, all that shock gets absorbed in your drivetrain, and those little gears which keep our cars affordable are the weak link.
If you break a gear, you are likely going to have a fight on your hands no matter what for the following reasons:
- There are a lot of inexperienced drivers who own a WRX (they're affordable, remember)
- There are many people who show no mechanical sympathy whatsoever when trying to get the last tenth of a second drag racing these cars
- There are many stories of folks doing power mods, breaking their transmissions, then putting the car back to stock in an attempt to defraud SOA.
- Subaru is in business to make money, not subsidize young aspiring racers.

Cliff's notes: Get your free SCCA membership. If you choose to autocross or do high performance driving school on a race track, focus on being smooth and the speed will come. By doing this, you likely won't have to worry about being denied warranty work, because you aren't going to break anything. Plus you will be a better, faster driver.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:09 AM
VIP Member

^^^^

Completely agree! Yes, if you dump the clutch or do something really dumb, then yes you should fix it yourself. But I think that you should be able to drive your car hard. Banging the gear into second should be okay. If you break a gear in second, then there is something really wrong with the car. I really don't care that its awd, they should make a transmission that can hold up to the abuse. I've been lucky enough do have nothing go wrong yet.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
They make the transmission well enough that drivers who dont do stupid stuff can mod and still keep their stock tranny. The only people who have problems with their transmissions are either those who 1) Pop the clutch 2) Have extremely high HP cars on the stock tranny 3) Have a mechanically defective transmission

I agree with the warranty claims and SCCA membership thing. It's bs, but hopefully most dealers won't be asses about it.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:28 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
I think that all people are getting the wrong idea about the SCCA membership. Subaru is just saying that if you gonna race, do it safely. They do not force WRX owners to race but they know it is very possible. Face it a lot of WRX owners race their cars, just because it's not sanctioned dosen't mean that it's not hard on them. I think that someone at SOA said" hey instead of letting all these people get killed or wreck thier cars why don't we provide some sort of a safe environment for them to race". Also, it you mod your car, and you decide to beat it, you should be able to afford anthing YOU break. If you can't then you shouldn't be modding. Subaru will fix valid warranty claims. It's just the perception difference between subaru and joe driver that determine what is valid or not.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:43 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The one-year free SCCA membership is only a marketing tool and even though Subaru of America's own Drive Performance Magazine extolled the virtues of competing in SCCA autocross we have to remember that the magazine editors are not the same people who handle warranty authorization for Subaru. It would be nice if this contradiction didn't exist.

I never sent in my SCCA application. It's perfectly safe to do so because until one competes in an autocross there is no violation of the terms of the warranty. I always had concerns about autocrossing and my warranty so I've never tried it in this car.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-11-2004, 12:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
How many dealers do you think cehck to see if the car have been autocrossed? Anyone here sign up and race it with or without problems?

Quick Reply: You break it, you buy it - seen Autoweek today?