Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Street Racer causes death = 2nd degree MURDER?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
I think I agree with you.
If it's a murder, what is the motive?
The intent was to street race, not to kill somebody.

It's somewhere between accident and murder, but I'd say it's close to murder than accident. It's so predictable that fatality will happen sooner or later. They are putting themsleves in a position that accident is gonna happen.

I think street racers need to be prosecuted heavily.
They can crash and die all they want, it's their choice and risk.
But absolutely they cannot take innocent with them when they make troubles.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:19 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX
what you havent mentioned was how it happened... I'd be interested in whether the 'racer' hit the victims after losing control of his car, in which case i'd think manslaughter. To clarify... did he hit because he spunout and was completely off his 'line', or, did he hit simply because he was braking late?

what do you think?
Old 01-31-2003, 04:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
The issue isn't necessarily the "intent" to kill the warrants seeking the murder charge. The issue that is relevant is that the driver of the car that caused the accident knowingly placed himself/herself into an situation unlawful situation that resulted in the death of another person.

There may be precedence for this in a high speed pursuit case (I don't know the case number). If I remember correctly, the person was involved in a robbery that resulted in a high speed chase. During the chase two helicopters (I believe one was a police helicopter and the other was a news helicopter), collided and one crashed resulting in the death of the people on board. The individual ended up being convicted of murder because he caused the situation and circumstances for the collision. So, even though his intent obviously wasn't to kill the people in the helicopter his actions put them in that situation.

I'm not an attorney so if anybody out there remembers the case and has the case number, please post. If I remember correctly, it happened in LA County in the 1980's.

Check out what Soya has to say. Besides, I agree with whoever posted that they dumb@$$es for being cheap and not taking their racing the the track where it belongs.

Last edited by Sea Dragon Rex; 01-31-2003 at 04:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Street Racer causes death = 2nd degree MURDER?