Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SRT4 spanks WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 10:16 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
I think to bottom line is the dollar to fun ratio that the Neon has to the WRX. The same as the dollar to fun ratio the WRX would have to something like an Audi S4 for example.

Hey each to his own, buy a Neon if you want, the cash is yours. Im not one to judge. Now imagine if this thread started with buying a Honda over a WRX.............

-scu
Old 02-07-2003, 10:55 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Re: Re: Re: SRT4 spanks WRX

Originally posted by WRXSTIle
Tim,

you do know I was being sarcastic...right
I thought you we're being sarcastic .. Then I saw the serious posters post later on in the thread and thought it would be appropriate to post my 0.02.

Tim
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
SRT-4 and WRX arent really the same car. If you just buy one of these for straight up street racing (which is a pretty dumb investment if you ask me) then I suppose you can start comparing them but otherwise not really. The WRX is a rally inspired AWD sports sedan deisgned to appeal too rally fans and overall a more "mature audienence", therefore it also has more emphasis on handling. The SRT-4 is aimed at one group of people, teens. Dodge isnt interested in AWD or particulary good handling because the kiddies just want a cheap pocket rocket that can go fast in a straight line and beat their other friends pocket rockets. SRT-4 = power for cheap, less amenitities, far more rice rocket orientated. WRX = power/handling/AWD, far more rally crowd oreinentated.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Originally posted by Br1t1shguy
SRT-4 and WRX arent really the same car. If you just buy one of these for straight up street racing (which is a pretty dumb investment if you ask me) then I suppose you can start comparing them but otherwise not really. The WRX is a rally inspired AWD sports sedan deisgned to appeal too rally fans and overall a more "mature audienence", therefore it also has more emphasis on handling. The SRT-4 is aimed at one group of people, teens. Dodge isnt interested in AWD or particulary good handling because the kiddies just want a cheap pocket rocket that can go fast in a straight line and beat their other friends pocket rockets. SRT-4 = power for cheap, less amenitities, far more rice rocket orientated. WRX = power/handling/AWD, far more rally crowd oreinentated.
im a kiddie and i would not be caught driving a neon...IMO its a cheap POS that has decent straight line speed and nothing else...the WRX is def an all around better car and i strongly doubt the srt4 could take a wrx at the strip (stock)
Old 02-08-2003, 11:38 PM
bxm

Car Info: stock USDM '02 WRX, no options, silver metallic
an objective argument

Originally posted by Scubaru
Not to back up Dodge or Subaru, but could I pose a question, Id like to hear opinions on this.

If you were given $26,000 that is the price for the WRX (retail, mind you....) and were told to buy a SRT-4, you just saved $6000 right? Ok, let move on.... with the $6000 you have left over buying a WRX, you could .... blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada. If you could you make the Neon out handle, accelerate, and out brake a subaru, would you? ...is the AWD the only factor?

My main reason for asking is WHY you would do it, IF you did. Just like to know what you guys think. Or better yet HOW you guys think.

-scu
I'm not going to state any opinions, but instead present simple facts...
Subaru has proven that it is a better quality car than Dodge. Here are some facts on both cars...

>Consumer Reports' annual reliability survey (March 13, 2002)...
Subaru and Toyota brands lead the industry in fewest reported problems, each scoring 12 problems per 100 cars.
The Chrysler Group of DaimlerChrysler AG, though leading in domestic rankings, had a distant 22 problems per 100 cars.

>Consumer Repots' "Best & Worst Vehicles" (Nov. 2002)...
In addtition to receiving CR's "Recommended" rating, the Subaru Impreza is also listed under what they call the "best of the best", or "CR Good Bets" list.
In the same article, CR states the Dodge Neon is an "especially risky buy", earning it a place in their "Reliablity Risk" list.

>US IIHS frontal offset crash tests for small cars
The Impreza, like ALL its Subaru siblings, has achieved the highest rating (good) across the board in the IIHS' most recent series of frontal offset crashtests. The Impreza also earned the institute's coveted "Best Pick" designation.
The only cars to manage a score below the Neon's in the same small car crash tests were two Korean cars.

>NHTSA tests... (out of a possible five stars)
Impreza-- Frontal impacts: 4 stars for driver safety, 5 stars for front-passenger safety. Side impacts: 4 stars for front-passenger safety.
Neon--frontal crash tests: 4 stars for driver safety, 4 stars for front-passenger safety. Side impacts: 3 stars for front-passenger saftey.

>First-year awards....
WRX: Automobile magazine "Automobile of the Year"; Car and Driver "Top 10"; Edmunds.com "Editors' Most Wanted (Sports Sedan under $30,000)".
SRT-4: Sport Compact Car "Car of the Year".

Last edited by bxm; 02-08-2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:55 AM

Car Info: 97 OBS
wow.. you know if you think about it.. isn't the srt-4 a 2.4 litre turbo?.. and the WRX is a 2.0 litre turbo?... kinda difference in torque if you ask me.... subaru had production.. but only for dodge to see the market and give them time to beef up their car.. but it took them like 3 years for them to make a production car that's only a "little" faster than a WRX... by the time subaru see's the stats... the new STI will have come out.. which will totally blow the srt4 outta the water...and have you seen the body styling of the srt4?.. it looks like a wanna-be WRX.... just change the grill and you get the same car... sheesh... i'm sure the neon's has the bug eyes first.. but damn now...WRX's make it look better.. haha...

-Jay
Old 02-13-2003, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 97 OBS
Talking

oh yea!... and for another thing.. would you get an srt-4 for 6,000 less?.. or get a pre-owned '01 GC8 body 2.5 rs for 30,000 miles for $13,000... and have another 13,000 lying around.. and hMm... pretty much do everything?... with better handling, stopping power, and HP+torque?... and don't tell me your gonna get a neon for cheaper.. cuz c'mon.. the older neon's were **** as well..... but i'm pretty sure you can get a good price on a neon at a junk yard...

-Jay
Old 02-13-2003, 05:43 PM
bxm

Car Info: stock USDM '02 WRX, no options, silver metallic
Originally posted by Giamilton
The "it's still a Neon" is the same thing we heard from the BMW and the IS300 guys about our "it's just a Subaru"
The difference is Subaru matches those cars in reliability and R&D, and the WRX is considered one of the best sport sedans money can buy (even Automobile magazine has it tied with the M5 for that same title). The same comparison can't be drawn for the SRT-4 . Tests, reviews, and history show that the Neon is a crappy car and the SRT-4 iterration only excels in straight-line performance and interior quality. At least the WRX and BMW drivers alike can rest assured their cars will still perform in x-amount of years, but the Neon driver will have to worry about frequent repairs, recalls and rentals.

Quick Reply: SRT4 spanks WRX