Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Ride Comfort Questions

Old 07-22-2014, 11:23 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Ride Comfort Questions

Hola,

Currently as my car sits, it's not exactly all that comfortable to drive.

Which I expected when I bought it a handful of months ago.

After putting about 3k miles on the car, I'm thinking that I want to do something about the ride quality of the car.

My question is, what are the best things I can do to get good ride quality out of it?

The current setup is Swift springs w/ KYB GR2's. On 17'' wheels with inexpensive 225/45 tires.

If I went back to stock springs, and a slightly thicker tire, would that get me a decently comfortable ride? I feel pretty much all the bumps in the road, and I'd rather not. I just haven't ridden in a stock wrx so I'm not sure how it compares really.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
There are different things you can do that affect ride quality:

1. More ride comfort oriented touring tires. Performance tires tend to be more rigid and offer less ride comfort and louder impacts.
2. 16" wheel for tires with taller sidewalls. You don't want to put tallers wheels than you have now on the 17". You need to keep the rolling circumference as close to stock as possible.
3. Stock springs. How old are the struts?
4. Less aggressive, no sway bars. Removing the sway bars is not great for handling, but it will increase ride quality by allowing freer, more independent suspension movement.
Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Wagon
Originally Posted by Brfatal
There are different things you can do that affect ride quality:

1. More ride comfort oriented touring tires. Performance tires tend to be more rigid and offer less ride comfort and louder impacts.
Yeah I was thinking of looking into that once I end up needing to replace them.

2. 16" wheel for tires with taller sidewalls. You don't want to put tallers wheels than you have now on the 17". You need to keep the rolling circumference as close to stock as possible.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I might switch back to 16'' at some point then. I'm not a huge fan of my current wheels. I like em but don't love em.

3. Stock springs. How old are the struts?
Not too sure. I think the previous owner put them on. So I'd guess they have like 20-30k on them? Total guess though. I'm worried that they might be in bad shape because they're OEM spec but on lowering springs. Might be oversprung a bit?

Also the car has the Whiteline roll centre/bump steer kit, so I'd have to take that out if I went back to stock, right? I don't know a ton about it to be honest.

4. Less aggressive, no sway bars. Removing the sway bars is not great for handling, but it will increase ride quality by allowing freer, more independent suspension movement.
Yeah I've got the stock rear sway bar in my garage, so I could swap that out at some point.

Thank for the help.