Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Questions (about 1993-2001 Imprezas and interchangeable parts)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 07:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon and 2002 suzuki sv650
Thumbs up Questions

I am looking into getting a impreza of some sorts. I have a 1990 240sx and they are becoming the band wagon car so everything is ridiculously expensive for them. also they suck for daily drivers because they do horrible in the rain and snow. I snowboard and mountain bike. Its not a good car for those hobbies. I have done a little research and kind of understand what motors can go into which cars and what not. I really like the 2.5rs but I dont know if I can afford one since they go for about $11000 in my region. I know the rs has a different motor and some body styling differences but what about suspension and brakes. Are they the same? Also can the rs bumpers and hood go onto a regular impreza between the years of 1993-2001. I like the rally look of those parts and I dont want to get a ****ty fibergalss body kit because they suck and they are gay? I was wondering how hard the ej20 swap is into an impreza. I would really like to do that if its not ridiculously expensive and if it is worth it. If not what motor is worth it. Also do all impreza trannys bolt on all the swap motors or what. I have read that people use the impreza trannys with turbo motors for the short gearing. I hope that some of these ?'s can be answered. And if there is already a thread on this stuff im sorry for the waste of time and can somebody send me there. thanks mattt
Old 11-17-2005, 08:59 PM

i like whiskey not every whiskey though only the kind that i like, sometimes when its cold at a football game i like to drink some whiskey?my favorite is jameson because im irish, not really irish since i was born in america but my families heritage is irish?

seriously, you could get a 02 wrx or rs for pretty cheap now, i would guess around 12,000-14,000 for a wrx depending on the milage. stay away from anything that has previously been modded.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
Hey matt,
Here are some answers to your questions:
1.Really, there is very little diffrence between the '93-'01 2.5RS and L/LS models besides for the 2.5l motor. I think the only diffrence is some minor interior changes like red stitching between them. If you are looking to do a swap, just make sure you look for one with AWD (not the FWD version) as that will make your life 10x easier.
2. Yes, subaru motors/trannys are very interchangable. You can put a EJ20 in a 2.5rs, a EZ30 (6cyl NA) in a WRX, a EJ257 (STi motor) in a Forester. Really, the combonation is up to you. The only issue with motor swapping is the wiring which is a *****. I mean, not impposible or that hard (with wiring diagrams), just takes a long time. A friend around here had it take 40hrs on wiring, and only a handful more on the actual mechanical parts. Don't let this scare you off though as with the right diagrams, and some helpful advice here, you can get it done. And, if you don't want to do it yourself, you could make your way down to NorCal for LIC motorsports who will do it for you (great company).
3. Is it worth it? Your call on that one. Most of us would say yes it is! However, it comes down to you whether the work is worth the result (230-300hp).
Hope this helps!
-Jeff
Old 11-18-2005, 11:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon and 2002 suzuki sv650
Thanks or the advice. I am a technicain so I dont think the wiring will be that difficult. And my friend made his own stand alone systems for his supra using mega squirt. He is really good with that stuff. Also, do any versions come with lsd and what versions have 4 wheel disk brakes?