Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Impreza line....What is wrong in our world today?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
where is it going to be built then?
Old 04-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by BLUEJ20
where is it going to be built then?
Same place it was built last year. Maybe this will clear things up.....

Some people may have thought:

Legacy = built in US ----> New Impreza = Legacy chasis ----> New Impreza = built in US

Here's some info from Nabisco news & roomers:

"Just as the previous Impreza was built on the previous Legacy platform, this new Impreza is built on the 2nd Legacy platform (debuted in '05). The platform is shortened in wheelbase resulting in less passenger room (than the Legacy), but retains the same forward chassis members and suspension pickup points,.. just like last time. The new Impreza's wheelbase is still 3.7" longer than the current one, which should translate to more interior room."

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1230616

I have yet to read anything regarding Subaru moving Impreza production lines to the US. If anyone has info, I'd like to see it.

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 04-04-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 2004 subaru wrx
are you kidding me the new wrx look so much like a german hatchback
i can tell you guys sumthin that wrx will never be in my garage
Old 04-04-2007, 01:15 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Tell me you don't like this car....

... in all practical senses of the word, this car is ugly, but I still love it and I think it's by far the best looking GD body.

I was disapointed when I first saw pics of the bugeye model. The first time I learned about rally racing was seing magazine pics of the GC8 rippin it up in the dirt. Then I found out it was coming to the US, but it was going to look like this? I got over that quickly. What was important to me was the car's heritage, it's practicality, and it's performance. At the time, Subaru of all things, was the only Japanese automaker selling a turbo car in the US. The bugeye single handidly open the doors for automakers to build more turbo cars.

As for being part of the "club", I rarely ever get the wave. Most other Suby drivers don't even look in my direction. I've gotten more nods and thumbs from non-suby drivers. Don't bother me none, I didn't buy a car hoping to make friends out of strangers.

I found that design ugly just because of the shock that it was following the GC8 two-doored beauty..that's all. It is a mean looking machine, when little exterior touches are done, and what you have shared here, the picture, is so niice!
Why would it be ugly, 'coz of the bug-eyed front?

I am not gona argue on the "Japanese automaker selling turbo cars in the US" part, because i do agree that Subaru did a lot to the whole turbo scene here, i'll just mention one thing - Nissan's Fairlady, it did have turbo on it, i wanted to have one of them before i got my GGB. BUT Nissan is Japanese manufacturer, where the Fairlady's line have always been "american" as far as i know, and the latest models are even more of a french-american, than japanese-american...

And about that "club" thing - i am not into that friends out of nothing thing either. I have my car to pleasure myself, that's it! But is a warm feeling, something to but you aside from everyone else. And i am not talking about Subaru owner - just Impreza ones. I don't know where you are at, byt here in MO there are not as much WRXs and STi-s as you could find around both coasts. I am still not familiar with the whole tuner scene, but this is my firs impresion, for half an year now..
Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
I agree.

- Nissan Z cars have always seemed like they were designed for America. Although, up until the latest generation Z33, turbos have been optional ever since the 280ZX through the 300ZX TT ~1979 - 1996 (maybe a few years off with the first year for the turbo option).

- I originally hated the bugeye fronts, not too long afterwards I convinced my supervisor to buy one back in 2001. Now I love the design.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Question

Originally Posted by bfdm4lyfe
are you kidding me the new wrx look so much like a german hatchback
i can tell you guys sumthin that wrx will never be in my garage
What's wrong with the german hatches? They won't sell if they are not worth it, the design part too, and these guys have made some of the best selling cars in our time now.. i am talking about the golf, the bettle too (it may not be proper hatch, but i don't think it can be put in some other category..) Opel have a biig line of good looking hatches.. The BMW Series 1...(even though people are buying it just because of the badge..) The Volkswagen has the hugest hatch market (Lupo, Polo, Golf) and all their sister cars in the lines of Audi, Seat, Skoda..
Right now i cannot recall any german hatch (or their sister cars), even older, that is as ugly as the brand new Imprez line..

..the new Mini, it is german.. but even it is not as ugly..

Last edited by eddie; 04-04-2007 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX

- Nissan Z cars have always seemed like they were designed for America. Although, up until the latest generation Z33, turbos have been optional ever since the 280ZX through the 300ZX TT ~1979 - 1996 (maybe a few years off with the first year for the turbo option).
Didn't know about the turbos as an option, thanks.

About the design - I do think that all the time the Zs were sold on both soils - US and Japanese, with main difference in the engine, but design-wise i do think that it was made to fit in the US market and that was the important thing to Nissan(Datsun). Because, as we all know - whoever can come and get some piece of the USDM, he will be having the money, so as all of the European brands, Japanese knew the deal too..

But For the Z33, the latest model, i do know that it has been designed in California.. And the engine is Renault's ( the french company owns something like ~50% from Nissan and Nissan owns ~50% from Renault, this has been from around 2000, when Renault helped Nissan to get away from the very bad finance hole they were in). So, with that model, the USDM was ahead to the JDM in the Nissan's importance list..
Old 04-24-2007, 05:17 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx @ stage 2
Kinda looks like its turning into a compact legacy or a mini legacy.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
By the looks of the new Impreza, the terrorists have won.