Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

In need of some tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX Premium
In need of some tires

So I have a '15 wrx with the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires, and they're great except I ski a lot, and they obviously don't do well in snow/ice. I live in Sacramento, CA and commute up to the Sierras often for skiing. Since it's so warm in Sac I know I can't go with a pure winter tire, so does anyone have any suggestions for a good all season? I'm going to keep my OE tires for summer, I just need a good tire for rain/ice/snow that's not a winter tire.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 2018 STI Limited
I am in a similar position as you. I also have 275/285 wide tires so I couldn't fathom spending $300 a tire for a winter tire that would wear super fast. I did some research and I am not sure if Tire Rack still has them, but they had some Pirelli Four Seasons on clearance. I picked up a set for $100 a tire (in 275) and had Les Schwab sipe them for me. As you know, we have had some gnarly rain this week and the tires have absolutely crushed it. I have not taken them to the snow yet but I should be this weekend!
Old 12-04-2014, 05:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
I swapped the tires on my '15 for Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2's. These were the highest rated UHP all-seasons on Tire Rack and were priced very reasonably @$113 with road hazard coverage included.
Compared to the OEM Dunlops, any loss in performance has been minimal (at least for normal street driving) while ride and noise are much improved. They've been fine in rain and cold temperatures, no snow experience to report so far (and when it does snow I'll probably be driving my '02 anyway to keep the salt off the '15). The ratings on TR showed decent light snow performance.