Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Money to power ratio

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 08:33 PM

Car Info: CRX
Money to power ratio

Im a high school senior and gave up my dream of building my 91 crx. I want to put money into a savings account so I can buy a new,fast car when I graduate college

Ideally I'd like an M3 but dont think I'll be able to afford a $50,000+ car

I've always loved the STI and the feel of "building" car. So how easy is it to get over the stock hp numbers? like say from 300 to 370-400? and how much would this cost.

Completely new to STIs so sorry for the n00b status. I've been a honda-tech member for a year and a half and have learned a lot about those 4 cylinder engines and hope to learn a lot here

Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 09:15 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Good luck saving money in college . . . I have a free ride and I still can't save worth ****.

The numbers you're talking are fairly reasonable. It's important to note, however, that 300 is stock power at the crank, real-world numbers at the wheels are going to be less. Keeping that in mind, a TBE with a custom tune (Cobb Accessport/Protune, ECUtek, etc.) would be an excellent start. Another thing to consider would be suspension and brakes, as they add to the overall drivability/fun of the car without adding power. Of course, the STI has pretty good suspension to begin with, so it's less of a thing than with a WRX.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:59 PM

Car Info: CRX
tbe as in turbo back exhaust?

Keep the info coming guys

How much would 380-400 whp be? And what would it take?
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
+1 for the Cobb AP for the EM since its easy to grow with. After that I'd say a TBE (yes, thats Turbo Back Exhaust) and a bigger turbo. I don't know off hand how much 380-400 whp would be at the crank.

Also, take whatever you learned from backyard honda mechanics and throw it away. I dont know if you've worked with well trained people with hondas or if its been your average ricer (sorry for any offense) but most rice cars are not well put together or planned out.

You can also find a lot of info on NASIOC by searching, but I wouldnt suggest asking questions on there because they'll just say "search n00b" and your search will turn up more questions like yours and those people being told to "search n00b"
Old 06-01-2006, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by MBasile
+1 for the Cobb AP for the EM since its easy to grow with. After that I'd say a TBE (yes, thats Turbo Back Exhaust) and a bigger turbo. I don't know off hand how much 380-400 whp would be at the crank.

Also, take whatever you learned from backyard honda mechanics and throw it away. I dont know if you've worked with well trained people with hondas or if its been your average ricer (sorry for any offense) but most rice cars are not well put together or planned out.

You can also find a lot of info on NASIOC by searching, but I wouldnt suggest asking questions on there because they'll just say "search n00b" and your search will turn up more questions like yours and those people being told to "search n00b"
Yeah, that's the world of NUTSAC for you.....

But then again, I did get banned from NUTSAC for bashing on Hondas. I had a bet going with someone that I couldn't get banned, and I tried my damndest, but what banned me was bashing of a Honda! Pretty funny, but if you look around that site, you'll find that the majority of members of NUTSAC came from the Honda group.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:17 PM

Car Info: '02 wrx
You should go to some sites that have package deals. They say these parts, this much, yielding this much HP. Vishnu Tuning has a 400hp package for the wrx for $4090 , or $5000 with there signature tbe and xede EM. But I heard they are expensive compaired to other places, so it will probably be less then that if u put all the stuff together yourself or get a package from another site maybe.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Subarus like catless exhuast and enginemanagement. Those will give HUGE gains.

Beyond that you need the above plus bigger turbo, injectors, fuel pump and engine management.

You do not need intake or blow-off valve unless you are running a BIG hp setup or front mount intercooler...or if just want the sound.