Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

I-5 Deer encounter: A Testament to Subaru's 'accident avoidance' ...and Bambi lives!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
I-5 Deer encounter: A Testament to Subaru's 'accident avoidance' ...and Bambi lives!

Okay, I was cruising back home last night on I-5 south, in southern Oregon... There were some pretty foggy areas, the kind where you just have to 'hope' there's nothing in your lane in front of you...

...Well, It was about 1:30 in the morning, so I was having some 'extended blinks,' just a couple seconds at a time (I'm sure you all can relate). Upon opening my eyes after one of these , I found myself looking through the dense fog at at the outline of a large, antlered deer, standing DIRECTLY IN THE MIDDLE OF MY LANE. It was kind of a surreal moment... I slammed on the brakes, jerked the wheel left, then back right, then gassed myself out of the fishtail (BTW, it read 30 degrees on my Subaru guage pack). Luckily, last week, I had just switched back to my winter wheel/tire setup- toyo Observe G-2's (the walnut shell ones) on steelies. I have a feeling that the stock WRX wheels and balding RE92's I had on before could have easily cost me my car, or even worse.

As I was going what-I-think-was around the deer, I did hear a slight noise, like I might had 'skimmed' bambi on my way by. I know he lived, because I saw his upright shadow in my rearview (there were headlights behind me) quickly head back to the side he came from. It was quite a delayed reaction- Does this follow the 'deer in the headlights' notion? It was like he didn't realize until I had passed him, and nearly hit him, that he was in any real danger whatsoever.

So I stopped at the next rest stop to survey any damage I may have done- remember, I did hear a slight noise as I went around him- and he did have antlers- so I thought that my passenger side might possibly be kinda scratched up.

To my amazement, the only evidence of contact was a few hairs stuck to my door molding, near the back of my front door and the front of my back door. How the hell did this happen?- You tell me. I can't seem to figure how he got his head out of the way (he was facing left), to allow me to get close enough to take some hair off without pulverizing him. I was thinking, if he turned back away from my car, I might have grazed his left shoulder or front leg, or something...

Anyway, this could have easily turned out worse for both of us. If I was driving a different car which I did not feel confident jerking back and forth at 70mph, I may have just taken the loss on the car, and the deer .
But thanks to Subaru's awd, etc. (and not to mention my brake and suspension mods), he, myself, and my car are all alive and well today.

I took a pic of the 'evidence'

That is seriously ALL the evidence it left- My car was dusty, and none of that was disturbed, and there are absolutely no new scratches.... I'm baffled, dumbfounded, and everything else along those lines.
Attached Thumbnails I-5 Deer encounter: A Testament to Subaru's 'accident avoidance' ...and Bambi lives!-hair.jpg  

Last edited by scoobsport98; 01-06-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by scoobsport98
I took a pic of the 'evidence'
- but I dont have any software that will shrink the file size sufficiently.
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...141#post735141

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 11-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Thanks- got the pic up now