Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Going to become first-time Subaru owner next month

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 2003 Legacy Sedan
Going to become first-time Subaru owner next month

Hi all,
First time here. Been driving a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT for the past 7 years and decided that it's just about time to get rid of it. Decided that I wanted to get an AWD car this time around since I live in the north-east and have had too many skids, spins, etc in the snow even with 4WD.

Decided that I definitely want to go with a Subaru... The Impreza is about all that's in my price range for now. I'm not a racer, and not into modding my car too much, so the WRX isn't really for me, plus it's a bit too expensive right now. I've never driven stick before, so will be going with an automatic.

Test drove a 2003 RS 2.5 sedan the other day and really liked it. Was planning on going with that, but then saw the "wagon" types and thought they actually didn't look too bad. So, after taking a close look at them, I think I'm decided on getting an Outback Sport. Anyone on here have any experience with them? Any recommended options to get on one? Any recommendations on a dealer in eastern Massachusetts, or would I be better off going with one of those "online" dealers like Autoweb, InvoiceDealers, Autobytel, Car.com, or StoneAge. Any idea what incentives Subaru might have for next month or if they usually do the whole "President's Day" sale thing?

Thanks for any advice, suggestions, comments anyone can give.
Old 02-02-2003, 05:08 PM

Rotorflyr,

Thanks for the reply. Originally (like everyone else I'm sure), I wanted to get the WRX. But, decided that it was a little more than I could afford right now.

So, then I test drove an RS sedan a couple of weeks ago and thought it handled great. While at the dealership, I also took a look at the TS wagon and thought it actually looked pretty decent. I didn't think I'd like the looks of a "wagon", but I did. Then, took a look at the ImpBack Sport.

Does the TS really handle better than the Sport? How so? I didn't get a chance to drive both to compare them. Althought the Sport seemed to have more "standard" equipment than the TS seemed to have and at a lower price too.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:11 PM

Well, just got back from two different dealerships. Test drove the Outback Sport at one. While waiting for my test drive, I was parked next to a 2002 Legacy GT. Must have been a demo car or something as it had 7K miles on it. But, I really liked the look of it, both inside and out. Dealer turned on to be a jerk though so I went elsewhere and test-drove a 2003 Legacy L SE there.

Definitely liked the Legacy a lot better than the OBS. Seemed roomier, better ride, better handling, and even seemed to accelerate better which was odd. I think I'll be getting myself a Legacy instead in the next two weeks.