Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

2006 WRX Limited exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:17 PM

2006 WRX Limited exhaust

I got my 06 WRX limited not too long ago and am still sort of shopping and researching what parts I want to put on. For the time being though I've removed my muffler and it sounds just like a Subaru should. By doing this I know at lower rpms I don't get the power and it can almost bog down a little. Am I hurting anything by having the muffler off until I fit a new system on there?
Old 03-04-2013, 09:30 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Put it back on... And change it out when you get another
Old 03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by Javirex23
Put it back on... And change it out when you get another
Yep. Have some class.....
Old 03-04-2013, 09:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2010 swp WRX hatch
Basically, its hit or miss...
Should you remove your muffler? No.
When you removed the muffler, you lost backpressure. You now have a better flowing exhaust, but you dont have a tune to add more fuel. So you are running lean, especially in higher rpms.

Thats pretty much the easiest answer.
Get a real exhaust, get an accessport. Throw an off the shelf tune on it and enjoy.
Eventually, once you have whatever mods you have planned done, go get a pro tune...
Old 03-04-2013, 11:40 PM

I'm on the same boat! I just got my 06 limited about a month ago and also looking into initial parts. Let me know how it's going and how much you put into that exhaust.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:46 AM

Car sounds great, like I said not any noticeable difference in performance. You get that subbie rumble. I'm putting on an Invidia muffler and down pipe whenever they come in but for the time being it works.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Originally Posted by frat14
I got my 06 WRX limited not too long ago and am still sort of shopping and researching what parts I want to put on. For the time being though I've removed my muffler and it sounds just like a Subaru should. By doing this I know at lower rpms I don't get the power and it can almost bog down a little. Am I hurting anything by having the muffler off until I fit a new system on there?
You asked for advice...
Originally Posted by norcalbmxer4u
Basically, its hit or miss...
Should you remove your muffler? No.
When you removed the muffler, you lost backpressure. You now have a better flowing exhaust, but you dont have a tune to add more fuel. So you are running lean, especially in higher rpms.

Thats pretty much the easiest answer.
Get a real exhaust, get an accessport. Throw an off the shelf tune on it and enjoy.
Eventually, once you have whatever mods you have planned done, go get a pro tune...
Advice given.
Originally Posted by frat14
Car sounds great, like I said not any noticeable difference in performance. You get that subbie rumble. I'm putting on an Invidia muffler and down pipe whenever they come in but for the time being it works.
But yet you decide not to listen. Which makes this thread pointless. Ain't no one got time fo' dat.

Any way, when you put a DP on make sure to have some sort of tuning (ap or custom tune) these cars don't like downpipes without a tune . Good luck.