Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

1995 Outback Sport (equipped with AWD?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:49 PM

1995 Outback Sport

About a year ago I purchased a 1995 Outback Sport from a used car dealership. The car has a manual transmission and the 1.8L engine. (It also has WRX rims ^^). The dealer said that the car has AWD, but in researching my car on the internet I found a couple of websites that stated that the 1995 outback sport does NOT have AWD. I took a look at the underside of my car, and it appears that there is a gearbox in both the front and back, but I am not a car expert, so I would like to get an answer from someone more knowledgeable.

Also, if anyone knows anywhere that I can find information on the 1995 Impreza Outback, I would be grateful, it seems there is a serious lack of knowledge about the '95 and '96 outback sports on the internet.

Thank you very much,
Mike
Old 01-04-2006, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
If your car has a rear differential like the one supported by a vehicle jack in the last pic on Egan's page, then it's equipped with AWD. Drive axles are about an inch thick, front and rear, and have rubber CV joint boots (with accordion-like ridges to accommodate movement) at all four corners. Two drive axles will extend from the transmission to the front hubs behind the wheels. Two in back will extend from the rear differential to the rear hubs. A front-wheel drive model will use a much simpler rear arrangement with no CV joints or boots in the rear.

Impreza and Outback Sport specifications page.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 01-04-2006, 09:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I believe the Outback Sport's of that year did in fact have AWD. But, the Impreza Wagons (from which the Ouback Sport is derived) had FWD and AWD models.

Like Wingless Wonder said, if you have a rear differential, like in the picture and description above, then you have AWD.