Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

05 WRX wagon rear washer sprayer not spraying...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 09:51 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
05 WRX wagon rear washer sprayer not spraying...

Hey guys. Like the title says, my rear washer nozzle recently stopped working. The pump still works, and the nozzle is clear as I've tested both. I'm certain there is a clog in the line, but I've also heard there may be a check valve in the line that gets clogged over time...I can't find it lol. Anyone else have/had this issue and found a fix and/or the check valve (if it exists)? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
The check valve is most likely about 2 - 4 inches away from the nozzle. So remove the nozzle and try to pull the hose out a bit and check it.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:27 PM

On the tank side, the hose goes into the wheel well. On the nozzle side, the only thing back there in the hatch area is a plastic elbow with no check valve. I'll be checking in the wheel well tomorrow....
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
It might be the fitting that goes from a regular hose to the 90 degree bend fitting.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:02 AM

I'll be sure to look more into it. I went as far as pulling the inside trim off in the cargo area. The hose goes from the hatch, down to the taillight area, then disappears into the body. No check valve so far
Old 02-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Bump.anyone else find a solution to this issue?
Old 02-21-2014, 12:29 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX wagon 2004
I'm also having the same problem, I've taken out the tube directly behind the nozzle and unplugged the L shaped tube connector, then tried the washer switch. I could hear the motor going but nothing is coming out. I remember a few weeks ago it would still drip liquid but after a few cold nights it just stopped altogether... I wonder if its just a blocked tube or f anything is split because of the icy nights...

Does anyone know whether the washer bottle above the battery can be dislodged by undoing just the top 2 bolts? I'm thinking of detaching the tubes and blowing into them (or use a tyre pump) to see I can unblock it (if its indeed blocked) but I can't quite reach the tubes.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:29 PM

The tank can come out by simply unbolting the two bolts and pulling up. Make sure to unplug the electrical connectors and remove the tubes if you plan on taking it all the way out (hint: empty the tank before disconnecting the hoses, otherwise that side of the engine will be cleaner than the windscreen haha). I tried the tire pump as well,but with no luck. Hope your fix goes well.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:15 AM

Thanks! Actually would you know whether the hose closer to the engine is the rear washer or the other?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM

Hmm... I took the tank out and undid the tube for the rear washer, tried to unblock it by pumping through it with a tyre pump, that didn't do much. I could hear a slight hiss at the tail washer nozzle so I reconnected everything back and tried again, but only dripping. So I undid the L shape connector at the tail, and checked again, it's dripping still so not the problem with the nozzle... and next I did something that might be stupid... I pumped from the tail end, and heard a pop somewhere in the car, and now it won't even drip... so I must have blown something up... crap...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:07 AM

The hose is still attached to the tank, I guess if the pressure was too high it would have detached itself maybe, so there is something else in the car that popped...?

Am I right in thinking that I can take off the interior panels on the left side (closer to the washer tank) and check the hose or is it hidden somewhere else? Thanks.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM

To my understanding, the hose actually runs along the bottom of the car, so you may be able to take off the plastics on the bottom (doorguards and such) to find it. you can also take off the inside plastics in the hatch area all the way up to the roof lining because the hose comes up from the taillight area into the hatch. the hose closer to the engine is the front, and the hose closer to the fender is the rear. ive also noticed that the hose disappears into the wheel arch.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Thanks man, I've done just that today and could not find any connection other than the hose itself... I've checked the rear all the way to where it goes from the footwell to the engine bay. I'm sure something must have popped cos' the washer tank is now almost empty (up to the level of the hose to the rear washer) so it must have been leaking from the broken connection. However I did not find any wetness in the side under the door trims, under the boot area / tail light however I did feel some moisture at the hole where the tube goes into the engine bay. I didn't notice any water marks under the car either so I'm a little puzzled where it had all gone...

Unfortunately I can't quite see where the hose goes in the engine bay... I'm just curious what other connections that could have popped... other than the L just by the rear washer nozzle and the bottle...
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Only real way to find out is to determine where the hose is routed, then take off all the interior pieces covering it to visually inspect it.