Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

~Concerns~

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 09:14 AM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
Cool ~Concerns~

I have some questions for you folks. Any info would be appreciated.

I purchased an '04 Red WRX wagon in september. Talk about pure enjoyment! But there are somethings I am concerned about.

1. In the cold mornings of New Hampshire I do let the car warm up for at least 30 seconds but the engine makes a slight knocking noise when I start to drive it to work. Is this just the engine? I used to drive a Civic with a smaller engine. I dunno if it makes this noise b/c of its size.

2. I notice a great deal of exhaust coming out of my muffler in the morning as well. Is this normal? It doesn't look like a blown head gasket or anything. But it just looks excessive.

3. Finally, When I drive at highway speeds and there is wind blowing a bit I notice my hood vibrating. Does anyone who owns an '04 or '03 notice anything like this? I do realize the hood is extremely light but I have never seen a hood vibrate like that before.

The Bar0n
:banana:
Old 12-02-2003, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
If its cold out mine makes a nicle cloud of "steam" behind it in the morning.

Also my hood moves a bit while at highway speeds. I think this is the norm.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:18 AM

groovy
Old 12-02-2003, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
What you are experiencing is normal. I hae an 04 with about 3200 miles on it. I let it warm up about 30 secs or so, but it is important not to beat on it before it fully warms up. I generally stay below 3k rpm's and out of boost till it is warm.
As far as the hood goes, don't worry about it. The hood on the 04, possibly 02 and 03, is made out of some sort of aluminum alloy and is extremely light. It tend to flop around a little at highway speeds, but won't hurt anything.
You will always see more exhaust gasses coming out of your tailpipe when the cats are cold. If the gasses lessen once your car is warmed up, you should be fine. Cats work through heat. Without heat they are worthless.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Not sure on this. I've never heard it on my car, but usually the radio is up. I'll check it tomorrow. It doesn't seem like it's normal, but like I said, I don't know.

Mine puffs quite a bit of steam in the mornings too.

The hood flexing is normal. The WRX hood is allumunium and is very light, so it will flex a bit. I think it's also a bit more noticeable on your car because of the bigger hood scoop. You should see the STi scoop! That thing flexes like mad.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:55 AM

Many thanks for the info gang.

Nothing burns you better than the Bar0n.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
"at least 30 seconds"???? That should be enough time to heat up things from 20degrees to 200 degrees, geeze its only 4.8 Qts of engine oil and about 2.5 gallons of antifreeze and a gallon or so of transmission oil + differential gear oil and the 300-400 lbs of steel and aluminum in the engine/tranny. ...................
Old 12-02-2003, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by andyhidley
"at least 30 seconds"???? That should be enough time to heat up things from 20degrees to 200 degrees, geeze its only 4.8 Qts of engine oil and about 2.5 gallons of antifreeze and a gallon or so of transmission oil + differential gear oil and the 300-400 lbs of steel and aluminum in the engine/tranny. ...................
wow. you're friendly.

Actually it's been said that idling for about 30 seconds and then driving soft (keeping out of the turbo as best you can) until the engine reaches normal operating temps is one of the better ways to go.

Obviously, though, you are the man and know everything
Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by sonicsuby
wow. you're friendly.

Actually it's been said that idling for about 30 seconds and then driving soft (keeping out of the turbo as best you can) until the engine reaches normal operating temps is one of the better ways to go.

Obviously, though, you are the man and know everything
.......I didn't realize what he was trying to say until I read your post.

btw, I agree with you. Idling your car is unecessary beyond a few seconds. Just drive it easy until all of the vehicles components (including the engine) have time to reach their operating temperatures. An oil temp gauge is the best method to monitor this in my opinion. It can also be done with an oil pressure gauge if you know what to look for.

- Kean
Old 12-02-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: ~Concerns~

Originally posted by Red Bar0n
1. In the cold mornings of New Hampshire I do let the car warm up for at least 30 seconds but the engine makes a slight knocking noise when I start to drive it to work. Is this just the engine? I used to drive a Civic with a smaller engine. I dunno if it makes this noise b/c of its size.
Could be normal (hard to say for sure without being able to hear what you're talking about). The boxer engine in our cars makes some unique sounds (some are cooler than others). ; ) It wouldn't hurt to check it out with one of the techs @ your local dealership.

2. I notice a great deal of exhaust coming out of my muffler in the morning as well. Is this normal? It doesn't look like a blown head gasket or anything. But it just looks excessive.
As others have mentioned, this is most likely condensation that has built up in the exhaust system. It's not uncommon to see a fair amount of water and/or "steam" being emitted from your tail pipe (especially on colder mornings). This vapor will usually dissipate quite rapidly depending on ambient temp/humidity. Billowing white, blueish/gray, or black smoke can be indicators of potentially serious engine/tuning problems.

3. Finally, When I drive at highway speeds and there is wind blowing a bit I notice my hood vibrating. Does anyone who owns an '04 or '03 notice anything like this? I do realize the hood is extremely light but I have never seen a hood vibrate like that before.
Just to expand on what "theworx" said..........yes, the WRX '04 hood (as well as the '02's and '03's) are made out of aluminum. They not only flex/vibrate while driving, but they will dent easily if you lean on them. With the re-design of the '04's scoop, the vibration may be more noticeable than with the earlier models.

- Kean
Old 12-02-2003, 01:19 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
i have MY02RS and even when the gauge says it's warmed up, I still get the knocking sound until it really gets warmed up. I brought it into the dealership before and they told me it was the hydrolic tensioner, but it has gotten replace twice already. I gave up since I am not getting any CEL and the car drives just fine.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by iBlueVirus
i have MY02RS and even when the gauge says it's warmed up, I still get the knocking sound until it really gets warmed up. I brought it into the dealership before and they told me it was the hydrolic tensioner, but it has gotten replace twice already. I gave up since I am not getting any CEL and the car drives just fine.
You're right. Just because the needle on the water temp gauge reaches it's "usual" spot, it doesn't mean the engine is fully warm. If you compare oil vs. water temps, you would see that it still takes a few minutes longer for your oil to reach it's operating range.

- Kean
Old 12-02-2003, 02:35 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
sonicsuby.. Sorry for my reply.. He did not say "drive softly" he said "at least 30 seconds" BIG difference.

Read some of my other posts, I only post facts jack, no assumptions or untruths or " I think this is how it works"

So, "Obviously, though, since I am the man and know everything"

My presence is no longer wanted here... Later

Quick Reply: ~Concerns~