STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

US STi EJ25 & JDM STi EJ20

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 11:28 AM

Personally, I think a 2.0L STi would've been a hard sell for SOA. The WRX is already 2.0L and just imagine how hard it would be to sell it to the average guy (nevermind about demographics, and target markets) Only gearheads would really appreciate the differences (and there are quite a few differneces at that!!!). Sure it makes more power, and they probably could've walked the fine line between power and emissions... but I feel the decision to up the displacement was also driven in part by the marketing team.

5.0L is big... 2.5?... my RS had 2.5...hehehehe
Old 06-10-2003, 08:01 PM

take the IS300 for example, in japan, it's turbo'd, that's much better than the NA we get.
I doubt Altezza in Japan is turbo charged, because it suppose to be in the same class as Integras.
from what I know, the top of the line engine for altezza in japan is a 2.0 liter VVT-i motor developed in conjunction with Yamaha. and the transmission for that engine is a six speed. correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

and I remember car and driver said in the case of IS, it's the first time that we get better stuff than other part of the world.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:08 PM

I really have to say this post is so dumb, you guys just can't never be satisfied. there's gotta be reasons why subaru did all that to our STi, but so what???

I bet people would start complaning again if the whole car is 100% "JDM "
people might start saying "oh, my fat American *** won't fit in their JDM seat, cause Japanese people are too small"
or "oh, why is it 2.0? and Europe has 2.5?, not fair..blah blah blah"

see my points??? don't even compare USDM and JDM, we should feel lucky Subaru actually spent money for developing an US emission friendly super econo box for us.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:02 AM

Car Info: 05 WRB STi
Well here is an idea that I think is new (didnt see it posted) and it may run in conjunction with all of the above and it may be completely wrong. This is what I thought when I heard about a 2.5L engine. Subaru wants to stay on top of this genre of vehicles. We all knew including Subaru that Mitsubishi was going for 265+ hp Evo for USDM. In turn Subaru was probably going to make an STi around 300hp to stay on top of the market. Yes, its hard to find a street legal 300hp 2.0L engine that passes emissions. I asked around and heard the Evo is pushing 19 or 19.5 Psi stock! I asked a few people and everyone said that was high. Could you imagine Subaru selling a 2.0L car off the lot with over 20 Psi? I think that would be a lot to put on a car. I would think that Subaru would be concerned with warranty issues and be spending money out of their pockets to fix new issues. In turn, they might be in the same boat that some American car makers are in.

I may be completely wrong because I did not read or hear this from anywhere, but I thought I would throw this out to you guys. Please dont flame me!
Old 06-11-2003, 01:04 AM

good point! that does sound somewhat true. from that insight, i think that subaru would have a hard time tuning the ECU and fortifying the block to withstand 19 psi of boost, in order to reach the 270-280 hp mark. so, by adding a 2.5 liter block, they could run less boost and produce more horsepower and torque. that sounds very believeable. also, basing this idea on the fact that the 4G63 is a very strong engine and capable of holding high cylinder pressures makes it very believeable. also, the 16G turbo is capable of producing 19psi easily.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
what is 46g3?

Quick Reply: US STi EJ25 & JDM STi EJ20