STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

How will the STi handle "offroad" conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey

i am not about to get into the detail you 2 have, but i thought i might chime in....

i am sure both of you read the artice about the 04 STi in EVO magazine (the brit rag). great article. they tested it on both on road and off road conditions. it handles both pretty dang well.

i agree with janq in the sense that the STi is certainly maid for 99% of its drivers to drive it 99% of the time on the road. but i also agree with esso in the sense that it probably is the best car in crappy road conditions, such as icy, snowy, live_on_a_farm_back_raod kinda roads.

i have been toiling between the EVO and the STi, and loosing sleep over it. the EVO is clearly a better handling car on roads that a fairly smooth. the steering is insanely quick and the suspension is taugt. the wrx STOCk suspension is soft, there is a ton of body roll, and it pushes like mad when going into a corner hot (if you are being lazy, like 95% of the wrx drivers out there).

take that nice Bay Area road, and make it a crappy, chain pounded, pot holed Tahoe road. The EVO all of sudden is not as great a handler. the wrx on the other hand eats that kinda surface up for breakfast. it shines in those conditions.

so why am i having issues deciding on which one? i will be living in Tahoe, and probably working in the Bay Area. Splitting time in both areas. since no one that can talk about it has driven the STi and i havent, i cant speak on its suspension yet. but as the little birdies have said, the STi is still a softer ride than the EVO, so i am assuming the same sort of assumtions i made for the wrx stand. purely bench racing at this point.

so at this point i lean toward the STi. i think it will be a decent car off-road, or on crappy road surfaces. the EVO IS a rally car, but janq logic REALLY applies to the current US version. it is MUCH more a road going car than the rally marketing Mitsu throws at us. more so than what Subaru is doing.

sorry for getting wordy, and being a bit off topic. but i think you are both right. i think the STi will be a great on road/orr road car. better than anything else on the US market. isnt that what we all want anyways?

josh

Quick Reply: How will the STi handle "offroad" conditions?