Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Want to use stock WRX head unit w/ aftermarket subwoofer.. Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 08:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Want to use stock WRX head unit w/ aftermarket subwoofer.. Anyone?

I really like the WRX stock 6 disk changer. I have an Infinity amp and a 8" sub, and I was thinking - since the factory deck has a subwoofer output, has anyone tried to use these outputs for signal, remote power or etc? I have a friend who is good at electronics and stuff, and he wants to give it a try - but it would be cool to see if anyone else has done this before.. No need to re-invent coleslaw.

Thanks,

Jacob
Old 12-12-2004, 04:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The stock HU doesn't have a sub output, or any outputs for that matter other than the front and rear speaker outs. The optional factory sub is connected externally, with a harness that bridges off the rear speaker outputs. If you want to use an aftermarket sub or external amp, you will have to get a line-level converter that connects to the speaker outputs and gives you line-level signals for your sub or amp, unless it happens to have speaker-level input connections in which case you can use it directly.
In general, while this will work the results won't be as good as you can get by replacing the HU with an aftermarket one which will have superior performance to begin with, as well as the proper preamp outputs. The factory HU also does not have a "turn-on" output to control the power for an amp or sub, so the only option is to use vehicle accessory power and have it turn on and off with the key.
Another consideration is that the factory HU has an "auto-loudness" function that boosts the bass at lower volumes and automatically tapers it down as the volume is increased. This function cannot be turned off or adjusted in any way, and can make it difficult to set up a sub so that it sounds good at all volume levels.
Old 12-12-2004, 07:24 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
Also, you may want to keep in mind that the track record for in dash disc changers isn't exactly stellar. They do have a tendancy to jam. also, unless the amp has crossovers on it, it will be quite difficult to tune the subwoofer. factory head units just aren't built for that kind of usage. best bet.....go aftermarket.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Yeah, what they said, just spend a little extra for the aftermarket HU, Alpine makes some very good units at reasonable prices.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

For sure, I know the value of aftermarket equip - have installed many systems. Just for this car, I liked the non-tempting looking stock HU, not having to worry about it - and I sort of like it - so I thought it would be nice to keep till it breaks. I have Infinity Kappa components front/rear so the smart choice is an aftermarket HU. Prolly will, just thought it would be nice to roll with the WRX unit for a while.

Does anyone know the output numbers for the '02-'03 WRX HU?

Thanks.

-Jacob
Old 12-12-2004, 11:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
i have my stock head unit hooked up to one 12in HX fosgate sub and a 1800watt fosgate amp and i love it... and im using the stock UPGRADED speakers from subaru

i lucked out a bit going with the RF amp cause it came with speaker level inputs elimination having to wire up a level converter, and a remote amp levelr.

but let me tell you something i found out about the stock subaru decks... see my car is a 03 and after installing my system i switched out the deck with a newer 04 deck cause i wanted my center dash to be all silver and clean (since the 02-03 came with black decks) well after i installed the new 04 deck and turned on my stereo it sounded like **** (keep in mind it sounded perfect befor) the bass was off and the highs werent as high as they use to be. basicly i was dissappointed, seems the new 04 decks have less power and sound way more ****tier then the older ones, so i had to result to swapping the face peace off the 04 deck on to my 03 deck...

other then that minor dissapointment im very happy with my set up, its clean stock looking and awesomely perfect! (for me that is )

edgar,
Old 12-12-2004, 11:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Does anyone know the output numbers for the '02-'03 WRX HU?
Very low. Someone did actually test it a long time ago and came up with about 8 W/channel. Don't know what the distortion was.
Whatever power #'s Subaru publishes for their HU's and subs are not usable numbers and do not reflect true RMS power. They are just for marketing purposes.

BTW I have the opposite setup, I am using an Alpine HU with the factory sub. The sub is far from ground-shaking but it serves my modest needs.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza 2.5TS
Talking Keep the factory deck

Hey - What infinity amplifier are you using??? I happen work for Infinity and know a thing or two about installing car audio.

PM me with the amp info and I will let you know how to keep your stock CD head unit and hook up the amp properly.

Reaplcing your head unit only gives "features" advantage not performamce. Replace the head unit if you want pretty lights, screen savers, mp3, or 50 functions that you will never use. The sound quality of your factory head unit is the same compared to any aftermarket head unit below $500. Clarion happens to make the head units for Subaru and uses many of the same parts in their aftermarket radios as they do in the factory units.

Most head units (Factory and aftermarket) are 10-20 watts rms. Anything rated over that is marketing BS used to persuade customers that do not understand electronics.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I really like the WRX stock 6 disk changer. I have an Infinity amp and a 8" sub, and I was thinking - since the factory deck has a subwoofer output, has anyone tried to use these outputs for signal, remote power or etc? I have a friend who is good at electronics and stuff, and he wants to give it a try - but it would be cool to see if anyone else has done this before.. No need to re-invent coleslaw.

Thanks,

Jacob
I do it and do it well. have stock HU to 1000 W mtx thunder to old orion 12" sub and also powering my mb quart 6.5"s
Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by nhayden
Hey - What infinity amplifier are you using??? I happen work for Infinity and know a thing or two about installing car audio.

PM me with the amp info and I will let you know how to keep your stock CD head unit and hook up the amp properly.

Reaplcing your head unit only gives "features" advantage not performamce. Replace the head unit if you want pretty lights, screen savers, mp3, or 50 functions that you will never use. The sound quality of your factory head unit is the same compared to any aftermarket head unit below $500. Clarion happens to make the head units for Subaru and uses many of the same parts in their aftermarket radios as they do in the factory units.

Most head units (Factory and aftermarket) are 10-20 watts rms. Anything rated over that is marketing BS used to persuade customers that do not understand electronics.
Thanks for the info! I will have to look it up, haven't recieved the amp yet. Its the 110x4 I believe, but I will try to find the model number. I put in my 60.5cs components in the RS this weekend, and it's VERY nice. A good bit of customization, grinding, swearing was needed to install, but well worth it. They sound soooo good.

Thanks!

-Jacob