Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Are there any good powered subs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Are there any good powered subs?

Are there any powered subs that are actually pretty decent? I’ve seen bad reviews for Bazookas and the Infinity Basslink, but it seems that almost every manufacturer of subs has some kind of powered box. MTX has their Thunderlink which looks good on paper and some have recommended the Kenwood unit, which has a Class D amp built-in.

I’m on a really tight budget, I’d like to keep it under $250, that’s why I started looking at one-piece subs. I also don’t need 30 Hz window rattling bass, I listen to a lot of trance/techno/dance so I’m more interested in tight, punchy bass. Also, not only am I cheap, but I’m lazy and the powered sub seems like a quicker install.

There are a lot of amp/sub box combos available, would that be a better choice than going for a powered sub? Circuit City has a MTX Jackhammer single 12” sub in a vented enclosure (JH4512A) along with a Thunder 702X amp for $250. That would break my budget after buying the wiring, but would that be a WAY better idea than going with a one-piece sub?

In the end I really want to know if, for $250, a powered sub would be my best bet or if a separate amp and sub box at that price would always kick the powered sub’s butt.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
youd be waaaaaay better off getting an amp and box set up!! powered subs always have probs...... they generate too much heat!!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:01 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
I agree with Warren, performance wise it is always better with separate amp and sub. I have been running the Infinity Basslink for the past six years or so with two different vehicle and currently in my STi. It's been trouble-free all this time, but its just good for casual and good "in" car, not to impress everyone else outside of your vehicle.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Agreed...just check the best buy or whatever you guys have now. The stereo shops are always cutting deals.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
yeah powered subs suck. over heat alot and arent that great. i got my 2 12's in a bandpass box by jensen for like 300 i think. with AMP AND CAP I SPENT MAYBE 550. (not including wire)

If you want to do it cheap pick up a 10" sony Xplode already in box (maybe $150 with a nice cheap Xplode amp maybe $80. and that will be better than some powered subwoofer.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:35 PM
banned

Car Info: .
But what are you looking for specifically with the sub? Is space really important to you? Stock deck?

It's hard to get good sound from a small box unless you spend dinero to power it well, and you normally need a better woofer too. Sub and amp allows you to go with a cheaper woofer with a bigger box, and you don't need as much power. The acoustics will usually be better for the money. But if you play that way, the box will take up more space.

Usually the powered sub route is more for space savings. But you end up paying more money for decent sound to have some trunk space. Bazookas and basslinks tend to free up a bit more space and sound okay.

There are small box subs that you can get in sub and amp combo, but you end up spending more than 250 easily that way.

Last edited by reid-o; 04-14-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Thanks for the input guys. Shiroikage: so would you recommend the Basslink?

Originally Posted by reid-o
But what are you looking for specifically with the sub? Is space really important to you? Stock deck?
I just need some extra punch in the bottom end, I'm not looking for earth shaking bass or to impress anyone outside the car. I have a Pioneer DEH-P6000UB on the way in, I figured it would be easier to wire the sub while I'm installing the deck anyway. Space is not too critical, my wife has a Honda Element if I ever need to carry anything too large for my trunk. Having said that, if the box could fit under the rear deck, up against the seats and not stick too far out from between the wheel wells, that would be great.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by Ross

I just need some extra punch in the bottom end, I'm not looking for earth shaking bass or to impress anyone outside the car.
I used to work at a stereo shop many years ago, and while an all in 1 unit is not the ulitimate best choice....it does serve it's purpose. However, I personally think that you can find a better performing combo, for almost the same money, by going with a separate amp/sub box. Even a small 50w x 2 amp bridged to (1) 8" sub w/ pre-made box will probably give you better response than an all in 1 type gig. Just my humble opinion, but I personally wouldn't go that route. You really need to quantify what you expect and go from there. For my expectations, it wouldn't cut it.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:34 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
I wanted the same...

I had a box in my trunk...8", 10" then I tried a 12"...with all the kids soccer and such...the box had to go...plus I didn't like the "slap the back of the head" type of bass...

Like you, I wanted a full sounding system without the boom heard down the road...

I initially went with a friend at a Stereo shop to have a custom 8" or 10" sub fabricated so it would fit under my passenger seat...after 3 months of waiting and nothing to show for it...I ended up picking up a 10" custom underseat sub made by a company I believe in Utah now...Anyhow, I've been very happy. The box is perfectly molded to the floor and it cannot be made any bigger than it is...As Reid said, it's a small sealed box...so it has its limitations...If I had a bigger amp, the bass would be much better. As of now, I have a 1 amp (5-ch.) solution that meets my needs...If you go on the cruise Sunday, you can check it out...

btw...I forgot to add this...it was spendy...$550+shipping...but imho...a very good buy...I think it may be cheaper now...the name of the company was:

RAAM Audio...do a search on NASIOC...quite a bit of people picked it up several years ago.

Brent

Last edited by Island Style; 04-14-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
bazooka tube, 8", 100w sub dont really sound bad, its actually impressive if you just want some bass to your music, it should be right in your price range and you can get a cheap power kit for about 40 dollars and for install, its 65 @ circuit city.

but as others ahve recommended, i also recommend you dont go with a pre amplified system. here is, what i think is the most bang for the buck if you wanna go less than 300 (this is with amp),

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Bazoo...oductDetail.do
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 AM

Car Info: '87 corolla gts & '85 mr2
check out security and sound. great place, nice people.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 2006 350Z
For a little more you would get a lot more out of your system with an amp and sub combo. Check out www.woofersetc.com for some good pricing and deals.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...&category_id=3

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4930
Old 05-10-2008, 09:48 AM

Car Info: o6 impreza.
i'm actually looking for the same thing right now.
i was looking at the BOSS bass600.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=18290

i've read a few good reviews and it's only 130 shipped from that site.
i'm probably gonna order since all i want is a little more bass for my techno.
and i don't want a big box in the trunk.