Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

STi stereo install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:51 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
For the speakers, if you didn't get them already, i'd go down to the dealers, or subaruparts.com, and order 16 of part #84985B

Check out the diagram here

Its the square grommets that fit into the door which gives you the screw holes to mount the speakers, the ones i ordered 2 weeks ago are backordered all the way to japan, since portland HQ is out of them and it seems like everywhere else is.

As for installing components, depending on what speakers you are getting, you may or may not get a spacer/adapter, if you don't, then you'll need to fabricate a spacer/adapter, as our cars use a trianglular screw pattern and some speakers use a square 4 screw pattern.

For the head unit, i would definately recommend getting a wiring harness and connecting that to your hu's wiring harness. The part in question is a harness made by metra, and should be avaliable at most places where you get car audio parts. Ask for an 02/03 harness for the wrx, and they should give you one that just is labeled for 94-96 imprezas, that would be the correct one (unless they packaged it and now it says 02, in which case thats fine too) The colors of the wires should match up with the ones on your harness, if not, then consult the hu's manual and just line them up.

I used quick disconnects from radio shack and crimped them onto the wires since i was pretty sure i'd make a mistake matching up the wires, but even a stupid monkey like me did it right the first time, so anyone should be able to do it.

The whole hu install with the crimping and the connecting took 15 minutes.