Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Sound for STI

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 05:31 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
there are alot of choices. Check out Crutchfield.com.
I would go with Rockford as far as amps go. If your only going to use 1 sub then a 300 watt amp will do, unless you are going for loudest on your block then you can go bigger
Old 11-13-2003, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 1999 OBS
depends if you get one sub, a mono sub will do.

if you get two subs then u need a 2 channel amp or bridged the two subs (d4) and get a mono sub that can handle 2 ohms.

for example if you get two 10w3v2 d4, a jl 500/1 amp will do.

Check this link i think this is the layout you wanted

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/SYS_5.pdf
Old 11-13-2003, 11:02 AM

If you are going with one single W3 you can get the 250/1 amp

http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/SYS_8.pdf
Old 11-14-2003, 04:27 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx
The kicker amps are good, you probably won't need 600 Watts though.
Old 11-14-2003, 10:03 AM

The JL 10" w6v2 your getting is a dvc 6 ohm subwoofer.

When you parallel wire it you will have 3 ohm load.

The 600.1 is 300 watts rms in 4 ohm and 600 watts rms in 2 ohms. So you probably get 450 watts in 3 ohms. Just an estimate.

I think the amp will be to much for the sub, i believe mtx amps are under rated.

You could check the caraudio.com forum and see other subs that are really popular right now. Like the Elemental Design subs, Magnum D2's and the Resonant Engineering subs.

here's the link
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Old 11-17-2003, 12:06 AM

Car Info: STI
Originally posted by jobs99
The JL 10" w6v2 your getting is a dvc 6 ohm subwoofer.

When you parallel wire it you will have 3 ohm load.

Not so.....

This is a version 2 W6 sub which comes with dual 4ohm voice coils rather than dual 6s like before. Therefore you can wire them for a 2ohm load.

How much bass are you looking for? If you power this sub the way you should (probably 400-500w) your stock speakers will be drowned out by the bass (especially if you get JLs High Output enclosure). If you dont plan to upgrade them you may be better off looking into a small powered sub enclosure or something with less ouput (maybe an 8" or a small amp).

Personally I've never been a fan of Kicker amps because they seem to lack in the sound quality and response area. Xtant is very very good, but probably not what you need. JL is decent and Rockford has great bang for the buck...especially when looking for a sub amp.

You might look into an Infinity Basslink (not something for me) but a lot of suby owners like them. It would probably be a better match for your stock speakers than a JL W6 with a ton of power.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:25 PM

You might want to search other posts...but I don't think there are many decent component sets that fit without any spacer...but most will fit with a 1/2-3/4" spacer. Its really not that hard...you can even buy them from a shop or someone on here or nasioc was selling them.

I'd go with a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 upfront and a 4" in the rear for ease of installation. I personally like Boston so you may want to check out the Rally series (more affordable) but you should always listen to as many different sets as possible because YOUR ears really determine whats best. Some of the more respectable makers include MBquart, a/d/s, focal, dynaudio, etc....they all have a different type of sound. The music you listen to most also matters....so grab some music and go to some shops to listen.
Old 11-19-2003, 06:16 PM

It is true that the back panels do not allow for much space. I have Boston 5.5pros and it took A LOT of work to get them in there (special mounts needed to be fabricated to hold the tweeter in a coax config)...but I already had them so I went ahead with them. If you go with a 4" coax you shouldnt have any problems from what I've heard from others....component sets in a coax configuration tend to be a little taller which caused problems for me. For ease of installation your best bet would be some 4" coaxs like Boston rallys or something. If you have clean power and the signal runs through a crossover they'll be good enough for rear fill....concentrate on the front stage!!

Quick Reply: Sound for STI