Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

So I'm looking to go all out on a stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
So I'm looking to go all out on a stereo...

And I've got a few questions.

1) Whats everyones thoughts on JL Speakers and subs? I'm looking at one of their "stealth boxes" for my car, as the Impreza is rather small, and don't want to lose a lot of space to a big sub box. I was also thinking of getting JL speakers, as the price isn't too steep, and I've heard good things, but I don't have any experience with their sound quality. Thoughts? Alternatives?

2) What is the difference between Coaxial and Component speakers and why would I prefer one over the other, or need to use one or the other?

3) Anyone have one of the more recent revisions of the Pioneer AVIC in dash GPS units? My brother has the Z1, which is great and all, but it does have a number of issues I wouldn't expect for such an expensive unit. I know they are on the Z3 now, and I was wondering if anyone has used one of the newer ones.

Thanks in advanced to any feedback!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
JL's got some good stuff, I dunno about their boxes, no experience with them, but I know their subs can hit on the right setup.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
I hear JL's blow out easily. Ive had my two 10" JL's for a while and no problems here...
Old 05-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda CBR 600 F4i
Originally Posted by superAL1394
And I've got a few questions.

1) Whats everyones thoughts on JL Speakers and subs? I'm looking at one of their "stealth boxes" for my car, as the Impreza is rather small, and don't want to lose a lot of space to a big sub box. I was also thinking of getting JL speakers, as the price isn't too steep, and I've heard good things, but I don't have any experience with their sound quality. Thoughts? Alternatives?

2) What is the difference between Coaxial and Component speakers and why would I prefer one over the other, or need to use one or the other?

3) Anyone have one of the more recent revisions of the Pioneer AVIC in dash GPS units? My brother has the Z1, which is great and all, but it does have a number of issues I wouldn't expect for such an expensive unit. I know they are on the Z3 now, and I was wondering if anyone has used one of the newer ones.

Thanks in advanced to any feedback!

1A) JL audio = overpriced great speakers. Well... their woofers atleast. w6 and w7 are fresh. Only thier high end stuff is good that i've heard.

2A) Coaxial vs component.

Coaxial has the built in tweeter, usually, a coaxial handles less power then a component set considering they are around the same specs or if its the same brand, then the same series.

Component is the tweeter and woofer separate from each other with a crossover to separate low and midrange frequencies. Usually, they can handle more power then a coax. If you don't wanna spend a grip but want to get a kick *** deal on speakers for your subaru... peep out circuit city's special on polk speakers. they are fresh and sound dope. They have a buy one get one half off special!

3a) I personally have a Avic D3 and it's pretty dope. Ipod function is really easy to use, parking brake bypass is simple as hell to do if you do the install yourself. Adjustable colors to match your colors in your subaru exactly. the actual dvd playback is pretty damn clean. fully adjustable Equalizer, AUX input on front, satellite radio ready, bluetooth ready, hella stuff. Price is pretty dope right now too, 699 at ur local stores as opposed to 999 which is regular price. I'd say if you wanna get a dope unit but not spend bread on the new z3, then go with that. All the z series is, is a more detailed structure of maps, 30gb HDD which i might say is dope but not a need if you have an ipod and is voice activated. it's sick i aint gonna lie, but not worth two racks.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:23 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
The Avic-D3 is pretty decent system for the price. We were getting them for $650 with a $200 rebate, but I believe that just ended. It's got a lot stuff you can add to it, Ipod/Sat radio/bluetooth, etc... Only real drawback with the D3 is it's only got a single drive, so to play a CD you have to eject the map disk.

If you have a little more to spend, I'd look at the Eclipse AVN series. Better sound i think, dual drive, easy to bypass park wire, and most of the same accessories you can add to it.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:47 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
If you really want to go all out and get top of the line components, forget about JL. There are better speakers out there.

This is what I would get: McIntosh HU, McIntosh Amps, Focal or Dynaudio speakers, custom sub enclosure with a single 12" Critical Mass UL12 sub and a BatCap.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i
Originally Posted by Lurk
If you really want to go all out and get top of the line components, forget about JL. There are better speakers out there.

This is what I would get: McIntosh HU, McIntosh Amps, Focal or Dynaudio speakers, custom sub enclosure with a single 12" Critical Mass UL12 sub and a BatCap.
That is a little expensive for my blood, haha. I think that system may cost as much as the car itself did, maybe more. That sub is very tempting though...

If I may clarify a bit, I am only a senior in high school, so I can't afford the truly high end, but I don't want to spend my money on straight garbage.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice!

Edit: Also, any suggestions for alternate brands I should have a look at for speakers? Keep in mind I'm as of now prepared to spend about 1500 in all for speakers, but I am willing to go up if it results in significant improvement in sound quality.. or volume :-)

Last edited by superAL1394; 05-28-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Didn't want to bump with another post
Old 05-29-2008, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2006 350Z
Polk SR's are very nice and reasonably priced for the sound quality they provide. You can also find some Dynaudio or Rainbows that will blow you away with their detail. Remember, the high quality amps and speakers will not only make your great music sound wonderful, but it will also make poor quality recordings sound horrible. Reality is hard for some people to accept. Sub wise, check out the Image Dynamics IDMAX or even just their IDQ subs, affordable and great subs. Another company, which I cannot personally attest for, but others love is RE and FI Audio. I recently went with Polk SR all around, DLS amps and the Alpine IWA-205 and love the way the system turned out. My next system will probably be Memphis amps, Image Dynamics or Sea Lotus subs, and DLS comps.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 PM

Car Info: BMW 525i E39
i have JL Audio's 12inch sub in my Subie's trunk enclosed in the box. No problems so far. Been on the car for like 14 months or so ..... still blasting it. I got Alpine DVD player and alpine amp with hooked to JL Audio Sub.