Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

READ! avoid this store for AUDIO installations/purchases

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2005, 12:22 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX, 2000 S4
READ! avoid this store for AUDIO installations/purchases

PLEASE READ!!

Hey guys, If you guys aren’t from Southern California, discontinue reading.

However, if you guys are from LA area, Orange County, and Pomona (around Rowland Hts, Diamond Bar, City of Industry, Fullerton, Walnut, West Covina, Chino Hills, and Hacienda Hts.) READ!!

I recently went to this stereo store in March to install my Sub and Amp. I paid with my credit card. About 2 weeks later, I started to receive letters in the mail about new accounts opening under MY NAME without my consent in different states! I was so mad. The credit cards were already activated and ready to use. On the bottom of the card it said their store: STEREO 1

My assumption was they activated credit cards under your name in different states, mail it out to your house, and they would try to obtain the mail before you would so they can use the credit card for whatever reasons. (It is a felony to start an account under someone else’s name [identity fraud] and it is a felony to tamper with US mail). Luckily, my mailbox is protected and inside a gate.

SO this is a WARNING to all of you guys.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS STORE. THEY ARE VERY SHADY AND WILL USE YOUR IDENTITY TO START NEW ACCOUNTS WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT.

Right now I reported this to the three Credit Bureaus, Federal Trade Commission, and Better Business Bureau.

HOW TO PREVENT/AVOID IDENTITY THEFT:
1. Contact your local Bank and see if they have some type of Identity Theft Protection. Wells Fargo has one.
2. Contact the three credit bureaus and create a personal password so your account can only be created with this password (this prevents accounts being created online or through the phone without your consent).
3. Get credit reports often to check if any new accounts have been created.

Here is the address of the store:

Stereo 1
17259 Gale Ave.
Rowland Heights, CA 91748
(626) 854-9371
Old 04-09-2005, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
They have stores all the way north in Sacramento and in the Bay Area. They all are shady and sell alot of used or "B" type goods. I would sue there **** off.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:36 PM

Car Info: ***Sold ***Bye bye 2005 Aspen White WRX, 2005 GS 430
Thanks for the look out, i live in west covina but travel around rowland heights. Ive been looking for place to buy some stereo equipment, thats 1 place i wouldnt go. Thanks for the heads up. Hope you get everything resovled.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:45 PM

Couple of things,
1) its not the company's fault your information was stolen. Its the person who took the information, with that in mind I do not think its fair to blame Stereo1 for your identity theft. Although...

2) You can judge a company like Stereo1 on the hella shady people they employ. The Northern California Stereo1 aka Stereo City is pretty shady, I get that "My car is gunna be jacked tonight" feel everytime I drive by the place. So I guess my first point is moot. Even so. Sorry to hear that, Do not business with this company they suck Thier return policy is "If you dont keep the original sales carboncopy ticket, we wont honor your warentee, nor will we work with the manufacturer on getting your item repaired."
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
they sell all second hand stuff, and i would definately not trust them with installs. the owner is a crook and will lie to your face so he can take your money. ask any of the local shops about stereo 1, they'll tell you the same thing.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX STi
Thanks for the heads up, I'm orginally from Covina and use to see these guys ads in the pennysaver a lot. They would advertise "heart pounding systems" for real cheap prices like $299. I always thought they were shady, now I know, thanks bro.