Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

JVC headunit quality?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
JVC headunit quality?

So I'm in the market for a new headunit, as my Pioneer unit gave up the ghost once and for all a week ago. I've narrowed down my choices to the JVC XR810 because it has the main features I want:

•iPhone compatible and ready (no "adapter" needed) with the USB plug in the REAR
•Built-in bluetooth
•Double-din (I hate those plastic pocket things you have to put in with dingle-dins)
•Not over the top styling, and mostly black to match my interior
•<$300

However, I've heard iffy remarks on the quality of JVC units, are they really subpar compared to others in their price range? This is my main concern. I know someone will say "you should get this one instead" which is why I listed all of my criteria. I really just want to know if their quality is decent for a non audiophile (hell, I'm still running stock speakers in my 2002!).

TIA guys
Old 10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
from what i know the preamps for the JVC's went down in the last year or so..
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 AM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2003 Yellow
JVC has gone down. My stereo guy says that if you want a good deck go for Kenwoods or Pioneers right now. Or if you can find them get an Eclipse deck. Eclipse in my book makes the best decks, they're the only decks that put out 5 volts or more. Only thing is Eclipse is no longer going to be sold in the US. So if you can get one you should. If you're curious as to what I have in my car check out my other post.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Car Info: 04' WRB STi
I was looking at head units for days before I bought mine for my STi a few months back. I found the pioneer P8000BT and its premier counterpart to be one of the better/cheaper double din stereos. (not full size LCD) I'm still thinking about grabbing one for my wife's pathfinder.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...00BT.html#tabs

I personally needed a few more advanced settings than the lower end double dins had and got angry that all the higher end double dins were super expensive so i went with a single din kenwwod KDC-X993(has now been replaced by the KDC-X994 in the kenwood lineup). The high end kenwoods and some of the full LCD pioneer models have a cool feature that allows you to change the color scheme of the deck to match your car (mine is now red to match my STi cluster and defi gauges.

Not too sure on the Iphone compatibility specifically but i know at least my deck hooks up directly to my ipod using the normal usb cable. Certain pioneer models require a "high speed" cable that has the normal i-pod connection and headphone jack connector but i dont think this one does.

Sidenote: Eclipse does make nice decks but they aren't pretty and are no longer making car audio. Alpine makes good decks too but only appear cheaper until you realize the advanced audio options on their newer decks are only available if you purchase an alpine audio tuning computer or have an alpine tuning shop actually tune the audio in your car for you. Now is just a bad time to find a decent deck for cheap. It looks like everyone is putting their r&d money into the more expensive a/v units.

Last edited by STicky AWD; 10-22-2010 at 12:28 PM. Reason: bad format
Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 PM

i say alpine pioneer kenwood for decks.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by STicky AWD
I was looking at head units for days before I bought mine for my STi a few months back. I found the pioneer P8000BT and its premier counterpart to be one of the better/cheaper double din stereos. (not full size LCD) I'm still thinking about grabbing one for my wife's pathfinder.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...00BT.html#tabs

I personally needed a few more advanced settings than the lower end double dins had and got angry that all the higher end double dins were super expensive so i went with a single din kenwwod KDC-X993(has now been replaced by the KDC-X994 in the kenwood lineup). The high end kenwoods and some of the full LCD pioneer models have a cool feature that allows you to change the color scheme of the deck to match your car (mine is now red to match my STi cluster and defi gauges.

Not too sure on the Iphone compatibility specifically but i know at least my deck hooks up directly to my ipod using the normal usb cable. Certain pioneer models require a "high speed" cable that has the normal i-pod connection and headphone jack connector but i dont think this one does.

Sidenote: Eclipse does make nice decks but they aren't pretty and are no longer making car audio. Alpine makes good decks too but only appear cheaper until you realize the advanced audio options on their newer decks are only available if you purchase an alpine audio tuning computer or have an alpine tuning shop actually tune the audio in your car for you. Now is just a bad time to find a decent deck for cheap. It looks like everyone is putting their r&d money into the more expensive a/v units.
I actually have the premier version of the P8000BT and I've never liked it, it has never worked well with the iPhone
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Car Info: 2006 CGM Impreza WRX/ 1998 RBP Impreza 2.5RS
I have a Pioneer indash right right now. AVH-P4100DVD looking for a pioneer/kenwood/alpine single din and 350 cash.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by azer408
I have a Pioneer indash right right now. AVH-P4100DVD looking for a pioneer/kenwood/alpine single din and 350 cash.
awesome headunit glws