Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

How do I wire for power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 07:58 PM

Car Info: Black WRX, X.S. turbo back exhaust, X.S. cold air, and a lot of plans
I would say if you want a constant power for the outlets go right to the battery, but there need to be a inline fuse put on it. In the booklet there should a fuse range that you should use for it. As for the lcd does it have a head uint that it hooks up to? If not I would have to guess that it has two power in wires, one will be for an ignition, and another for constant. The way that it works is when the ignition is kicked on there is more power going to the uint, so it can turn on. The other one is there to keep things like clocks, presets, and other stuff like that in mind. Most of what you want, for the lcd can be taken from the headuint, even the stock one. You will need to find out which wire is which. For the outlet thing, there may be a remote power on wire. If that is the case then it works just like an amp, you will have a power and a ground that will also give the amp power, but it will wait for the remote to use the power. Which saves the battery from dying. If you get some pic. I may be able to give you better ways to do thing, but this is just in general.
MCL
Old 06-21-2003, 02:12 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
Originally posted by 02BlkRex
I've done some more research and decided to run separate power lines off the battery for the lcd screen and the inverter. How do I make each one only hot when the key is on? - some sort of inline switch? The lcd screen is just a screen that fits in a DIN space and has a clock on the face. No radio, cd, dvd, etc. I'm guessing when I pull the stock clock out of there I will be able to use the constant hot wire to make sure I don't lose the time. I'm running separate power wires because I don't want to cut into stock wiring if I don't have to. I've heard horror stories about Subaru's warranty...
well, your gonna have to tap into switched power somewhere, the easiest place is the fusebox by your left leg inside the dash. find one that is normally off when the car is off, but on with the accesories. you can tap into the radio output. the way to do it with running new wires from the battery is to use a relay. you can get one at most automotive stores. just wire that to the coil side of the relay, and ground the other coil terminal, then run your power wire to a NO contact, and the other side of that NO contact to your device.
Old 06-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
oh, and just tapping into that wire wont do anything to your warranty, it is something that probably 70% of subaru owners do, and i doubt 1 has been denied warranty work for it.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
If you are looking for a wire to tap into that only has powere going through it when key is in acc that is what I think you are asking out of all thi wires behind I could not find one to use for a remote I ended up using the power wire for your remote mirror control on the center console worked perfect and as for a power I would do what the guys were saying run one directly from battery with inline fuse. My neighbor has a lcd screen, power inverter to run play sattion and ran one huge power wire from battery to a distrubtion block and ran wires to each unit requireing power. Ran a switch for the inverter put in center console under arm rest so when he wants to use the PS2 he turns on the inverter so it is not running every time the radio is on something to think about. I helped him to this install and because he wanted it to be perfect it took us like two weeks working a couple hrs at night and the last night we started at around 8pm and had it bumping at around 4am at which that time I was drunk off my A$$ and it all worked when we turned the car on he only added about 200lb with all the wire (j/k I think)
So good luck hope any of this helps.