Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Disappointed in Hi-tech audio's once a year sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 12:06 AM

Car Info: 2014 Subaru Impreza Limited
Disappointed in Hi-tech audio's once a year sale

I know Hi-Tech (in Richmond/El Cerrito) is a very well-respected shop, so I'll keep this straight and to the point. I just got a 2014 Impreza (not a WRX, sorry) and needed tinting and a sound system. I got the tinting taken care of by a guy who comes out to your place for $300. Pricey but he had good reviews and did a good job considering how many tiny windows I have. Anyway--

Hi-Tech had been telling me about their once a year customer appreciation sale going on now (prolly over now). I thought it'd be the perfect chance to pick up a nice system that I'd always wanted.

I was helped by a guy who didnt work there normally. He was just a dealer. This whole thing seems like a chance for the vendors to sel direct to the public. He laid out a plan for me and I came out with a $1100 bill. $375 of that was installation. I'd planned on spending about a g for the best system I could get. Once I got home I looked up all the equipment on the net and found that I had saved nothing. I could have bought the same rockford fosgate gear online with free shipping for a little less. I was a bit pissed. I thought this was a sale. I basically just got spoonfed whatever they normally carry at retail prices. Did I mention they have NO REFUNDS only exchanges?

I've come to terms with it. I should have done my research of course. The gear has pretty good reviews. I'm just posting to people know, these "blowout sales" are just smoke screens. Better off buying your parts after spending hours picking out the best stuff online and then maybe paying them to install (I cant do it.)

Glad to have found this board!
Old 05-17-2014, 12:09 AM

Car Info: Eclipse
TBH, the newer subies have nicer sounding speakers. You'd just need an after market deck and you'd be set.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:15 AM

I'd have to disagree. I can play them at full volume and it's too weak for me. I got a 10" sub that'll fit in the back, replcement door speakers and a 5 channel amp tpo drive it al since the stock head unit I refuse to replace cna't power the new ones. I like the stock deck and it is connected to a lot of shizz on the steering wheel.
Old 05-17-2014, 12:17 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Car audio is kinda like that. Resale prices are not controlled very well. Most businesses (Usually physical shops) will charge MSRP and are recognized by the manufacturer. Some businesses will charge just a little bit over wholesale (These are usually only online).

The upshot of spending the extra money, you get more options if something stops working. Since they're doing all of the work, chances are that they are willing to fix it if something fails.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Car audio is kinda like that. Resale prices are not controlled very well. Most businesses (Usually physical shops) will charge MSRP and are recognized by the manufacturer. Some businesses will charge just a little bit over wholesale (These are usually only online).

The upshot of spending the extra money, you get more options if something stops working. Since they're doing all of the work, chances are that they are willing to fix it if something fails.
That's a great point, and true for many things, not just car audio.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 PM

Car Info: 08 STi
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU

agreed on this. many of the online sellers may not be "approved dealer" and won't have the support ready to go. that's why some folks like crutchfield, it's a bit pricier, but you know their support (relationship w/ manufacturer) is legit.