I am so disappointed in my car!

Old 12-23-2002, 06:57 AM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
I am so disappointed in my car!

AAArgh, My car has the APS exhaust, Unichip, VF 30, Injectors and Fuel rails:

It is way to loud and only makes 230 whp (Shiv tuned). Sometimes it feels real strong (this morning 5:45 am on 680 it accelerated really well) but often just feels lacking (engine winds up but no kick) - Shiv says it pings at anything over 230 so I guess I should consider a larger intercooler....but I really want to replace the too loud exhaust.

Maybe I should just go back to stock...

Sorry for ranting, I am just frustrated ($7000 spent so far!).

Last edited by AntiochCali; 12-23-2002 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:15 AM

Car Info: 2005 PSM STi
Sorry to hear about that. Given the investment, that doesn't seem like a ton of whp's. I have 212 whp on mine and I don't have the VF30, Sti Injectors or the fuel rails.

Did you get a catless up pipe? Is the APS exhaust a turbo back? I have a catless dp and uppipe and they make a huge diff.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:15 AM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
DAMN! $7k is a lot for me!! man, i wish i have what you have. I am still hunting around for used parts to get myself a turbo kit. When I am done, I'll be lucky to have 170whp. But that's planning on spending around 1.5k So far all my parts are free. Maybe you've gotten used to the power, so you don't feel the 'kick' anymore. Go drive a civic or something and go back to your car. Then you'll feel the 'kick'
Old 12-23-2002, 08:23 AM

I have a vishnu up pipe (no cat) and a full turbo back from APS (I don't recommend this exhaust, pm me if you want to know my thoughts).

I have one cat in the exhaust and that's it - just disappointing and that $7K includes a few things other than the engine.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: a few WRX's and a Z ;)
wow!

i know someone local w/:

stock turbo
stock ecu
stock injectors
perrin lightened crank pulley
short ram intake
uppipe
turbo back exhaust
EBC

and pulled 225 on the dyno.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:43 AM
Former Sponsor

btw.

what ecu are you running?
Old 12-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Subydude - WOW!! who did that ???

I have a feeling he's running an unichip...

Tommy

Originally posted by suby_dude
wow!

i know someone local w/:

stock turbo
stock ecu
stock injectors
perrin lightened crank pulley
short ram intake
uppipe
turbo back exhaust
EBC

and pulled 225 on the dyno.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:36 AM

Originally posted by AntiochCali
I have a vishnu up pipe (no cat) and a full turbo back from APS (I don't recommend this exhaust, pm me if you want to know my thoughts).

I have one cat in the exhaust and that's it - just disappointing and that $7K includes a few things other than the engine.
People are making close to that same HP with the Cobb Club Spec, which includes the APS turbo back, water spray, intake and a Unichip: note the lack of a bigger turbo with their setup.
The APS exhaust works very well considering it has a cat in it and Turbo XS runs the same sort of configuration: bell mouth, one cat, necking down to a 2.5" muffler. If this is your big beef with the APS system, there are lots of people that will vouch for the effectiveness of this exhaust and make much more power than you're putting down. The big diff is probably in their intercooling and the quality of gas they're tuned to. FYI, I don't have an APS exhaust, I've seen quite a few people here in WA with the system and know some certified Cobb installers here.
If Shiv can't squeeze more power out of your configuration, that's a huge (and expensive) pill to swallow! Aside from better intercooling, which is probably another $1K you'd hate to shell out, you could sell your unichip and give the ECUtek a whirl.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by MPJ Performance
Subydude - WOW!! who did that ???

I have a feeling he's running an unichip...

Tommy
one thing about that 225whp...i think its pretty known that ATP dyno and shiv's dyno has quite a bit of diff...

cupertinodave did a test that indicated about 30% diff... from shiv's and ATPs #s.

*shrug*
Old 12-23-2002, 10:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
well numbers might not matter, it's all about the increase.

if they have been dynoing at ATP the whole time, as long as it's the same dyno setup, even if the reading is off by 30% it won't change the percentage of increase..

just my 2 cents..

Tommy
Old 12-23-2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by FlaaB
Woah, I'm in Antioch too. I've never seen (or heard) your car... What color is it? We'll have to meet up so I can check out your car or maybe drive down to UCKK together or something.

-Matt
I have been to several UCKK meets (I work in Oakland so it's not too far away, it just starts so late at night on a Tues). I have a white wagon with white ROTA attacks (from Sube dude ) it has an STi hoodscoop. I have seen several WRX's around here (Antioch)

1. Blue WRX Sedan on James Donlon near Summersville.

2. Silver wagon, with the same exhaust I've got, I think he lives in Brentwood and has the full RT Spec kit.

3. Silver wagon, lives around Lone Tree and Eagle Ridge (so do I, but I've never seen him when I was in my WRX).

4. Silver sedan (may be two different cars), seen around Lone Tree and Prewett Ranch in the afternoons.

Those are the only ones I've seen around here. I tried to start a weekly Concord KK meeting and on the first one, there were like 7 black WRX sedans, I've never seen any of them around before

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I am so disappointed in my car!