Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

CarPC

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 02:02 PM

Car Info: '99 OBS
CarPC

Hey all,

My homebrew car PC just bought the dust and I've been looking to replace it. I don't know how many computer nerds we have on this forum but it doesn't hurt to ask. I was using a Micro-ITX board and case from www.casetronics.com which was working pretty well. However, I found a nice polished looking product from http://carbotpc.com that looks great, albit a little expensive. I want to know if anyone knows of any other nice packages out there similar to the CarBotPC. Also, if you have a home brew setup I wouldn't mind seeing some pics and or web writeups of the install.

~Jeff
Old 10-16-2004, 11:11 PM

Car Info: Arm Leg Leg Arm Head
Originally Posted by rabydanimal
Hey all,

My homebrew car PC just bought the dust and I've been looking to replace it. I don't know how many computer nerds we have on this forum but it doesn't hurt to ask. I was using a Micro-ITX board and case from www.casetronics.com which was working pretty well. However, I found a nice polished looking product from http://carbotpc.com that looks great, albit a little expensive. I want to know if anyone knows of any other nice packages out there similar to the CarBotPC. Also, if you have a home brew setup I wouldn't mind seeing some pics and or web writeups of the install.

~Jeff

Sorry, I dont' know any other pre-built mini-itx based carpcs. I'm sure you already know, but mp3car.com is a great resource to check. I myself am transferring a system I built myself (also mini-itx based) I had in my previous car ,into my wrx right now. May I ask where you mounted your pc, and the reason why it broke (so I don't make the same mistake if possible) ?

I dont' have any pics, yet, but I'm going with a headless system, upgraded front components and a compact 8" sub, and have got almost every major item in place except for the TS and the PC.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM

The PC was mounted under the driver's seat. That made for easy access to USB and other ports. I recently wired a USB hub to the trunk for other perhiperals. I was using an ITPC power sequencer to regulate and power the system on and off automatically which worked great. The only catch was I had to disconnect the external power plug to hardwire it to the connector for the motherboard. That meant the only way to power it up outside the car was to take it apart and plug a standard ATX power supply into the mobo. That was working fine until the only power supply I had available to me came from an older Dell. Who would have known Dell modified the ATX spec and moved some pins around so if you try to use their supply with a different mobo and vice versa they'll just fry? Sigh, just an excuse to upgrade I suppose. Thanks for the info and good luck with your PC.

Heh, just noticed I said "bought the dust" go me, way to mix idioms...

Last edited by rabydanimal; 10-17-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:05 AM

I'm also using an ITPC power sequencer. I just went to Radio Shack and got a male power plug that fits the power supply (one that came with the mini-itx case I bought) so that I could use the 120v adapter in the home when I need to.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:36 PM

I'll have to find one of those and reconnect the power plug. Good news though, turns out it only fried the RAM. Back in business already!
Old 10-24-2004, 10:46 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
This guy makes some nice fiberglass boxes, and made his own car PC:

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/focus_trunk/

I e-mailed him about help with my FG box and was very helpful, he might give you some input on your project.

Eventually I plan on putting in a Linux based CarPC with GPS/movie/MP3 in my car, but its a ways away. pipe dream pretty much.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:09 PM

Any updates on the carpc? I just got done installing the major components: amps, component speakers and sub, computer, touchscreen, and rerouting the dvd player inside the armrest. It still has some rough edges, mainly the dash since I had to operate on it a little to fit the screen, and I'm still trying to fine-tune the sound quality. Otherwise it's running all the programs without a problem, but not without the headaches during the install.

I tried contacting digimoto about revamping their interface for my obd program to match the interior and make the real-time display look flashier, but they pretty much ignored me. That's okay, though, it displays most of the info I need. Now I just have to find a location for my gps unit.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:56 PM

There are always updates and revisions to my CarPC. It seems it's on the workbench more than it's in my car! I've decided to go for a little redesign. I purchased an Alpine deck and one of those single DIN housings to replace the clock. I choped about a 1/4 of the overall length off my Casetronics case hoping I can get it to mount in the lower half of my stock radio housing. Above it will be a Lilput foldout screen to fill the top DIN. Just waiting for everything in the mail. From what I've seen from those ODB-II monitoring programs the refresh on the virtual guages is pretty slow. Maybe I'll throw it in there some day, but I think I prefer the real thing. Nothing like passengers watching your boost guage flying all over the place during some spirited driving :-).

Last edited by rabydanimal; 10-25-2004 at 03:59 PM.