Bass? - i-Club

Notices
Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Bass?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hayward
Posts: 127
Car Info: 2004 WRX
Bass?

Hello guys!

So a few months back I had an impulse on replacing all 4 of my door speakers with aftermarket ones (plus tweeters) because the stock speakers were busted already. Needless to say, I was too excited to check the speakers inside before leaving the shop. At the moment I was happy cause my speakers at least werent the cracked and busted sounding one before. I didnt buy a deck with it cause I ran out of funds. Lately, I noticed that when I turn up the volume at certain volume and certain songs that i slightly hear my speakers crack? (is that the term when they cant handle the bass)

NOW, today theres an Infinity Basslink powered sub sitting in my garage and an Alpine CDE-121 deck coming. My question is that would the addition of the sub redirect the bass to the sub instead of the speakers? I mean I guess speakers still produce some amount of bass, but Im just worried that I mightve "cracked" my few month old speakers or I was jipped at the audio store where i bought and got my speakers installed.

Sorry for the long confusing paragraphs
adriandjesus is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
  #2  
It's QQ thankyouverymuch
iTrader: (39)
 
JourdanWithaU's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 19,642
Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Sounds like your current system is clipping. Although clipping isn't necessarily bad, it does sound bad and puts more stress on your speakers.

As far as sending bass to the sub and not your doors... Depends on your head unit. Most modern units have a frequency filter (high-pass or band-pass) and you can select which frequency range goes to which output. So you can specifically tune your stereo to send lower frequencies to your subwoofer and higher frequencies to your door speakers.
JourdanWithaU is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM
  #3  
If in doubt, FLAT OUT
iTrader: (32)
 
04GG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Nor Cal SJ
Posts: 6,762
Car Info: 04GGB again! and a blue car
Clipping is bad; especially if it is to the point that you can actually hear it. Some clipping is common, but audible clipping is not good for your speakers.

I've owned the Basslink before and it is a surprisingly decent sub.

Last edited by 04GG; 11-08-2012 at 02:05 PM.
04GG is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM
  #4  
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
JVerma19990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Modesto, California
Posts: 441
Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
The deck you ordered does not have a High-pass filter so on the eq in the deck just turn down the bass level and up the sub level and you should be ok. I would recommend a higher series alpine deck like the HD137HD, has high pass, along with B/T and front rear and sub outputs with full iPod control via USB and BT streaming audio and calling. This head unit would allow for a lot more expandability in the long run like a 4 channel amp for highs or alpines KTP-445 power pack, will improve the sound of your door speakers as well as volume because you will have more power to them. Sorry I sound like a stereo sales man, it's cuz I am... Good luck with whatever route you choose! If you really want to go there, get the HD138BT this has all the same features as the 137 but has higher voltage RCA outputs as well as sat radio ready
JVerma19990 is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 09:53 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hayward
Posts: 127
Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU View Post
Sounds like your current system is clipping. Although clipping isn't necessarily bad, it does sound bad and puts more stress on your speakers.

As far as sending bass to the sub and not your doors... Depends on your head unit. Most modern units have a frequency filter (high-pass or band-pass) and you can select which frequency range goes to which output. So you can specifically tune your stereo to send lower frequencies to your subwoofer and higher frequencies to your door speakers.
Thanks for the info! but i think I will go with Jverma19990 said on lowering the bass level and up the sub level

Originally Posted by 04GG View Post
Clipping is bad; especially if it is to the point that you can actually hear it. Some clipping is common, but audible clipping is not good for your speakers.

I've owned the Basslink before and it is a surprisingly decent sub.
Thanks, but I listened to some videos on youtube about clipping speakers and that doesnt seem to be the problem on my setup...I guess its just hard for me to explain. or maybe its simply too much for my speakers to handle without a sub or better deck.

Originally Posted by JVerma19990 View Post
The deck you ordered does not have a High-pass filter so on the eq in the deck just turn down the bass level and up the sub level and you should be ok. I would recommend a higher series alpine deck like the HD137HD, has high pass, along with B/T and front rear and sub outputs with full iPod control via USB and BT streaming audio and calling. This head unit would allow for a lot more expandability in the long run like a 4 channel amp for highs or alpines KTP-445 power pack, will improve the sound of your door speakers as well as volume because you will have more power to them. Sorry I sound like a stereo sales man, it's cuz I am... Good luck with whatever route you choose! If you really want to go there, get the HD138BT this has all the same features as the 137 but has higher voltage RCA outputs as well as sat radio ready
Ill definitely check out this deck first before upgrading because im not that big of a sound system guy and most likely will stick to this setup if it helps me rid of the weird sound I get. Its on rare occasions though that I hear that noise. Thank you for the reply!

Am I able to turn down the bass level and sub level via my deck? Or turn down the bass level on the deck and turn up the sub level on the control?

Last edited by adriandjesus; 11-08-2012 at 09:55 PM.
adriandjesus is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM
  #6  
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Volkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 1,002
Car Info: A Dirty Car
...and I thought this was a fishing thread...
Volkey is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hayward
Posts: 127
Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by Volkey View Post
...and I thought this was a fishing thread...
adriandjesus is offline  
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 PM
  #8  
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california
Posts: 134
Car Info: SWP STi
Where did you get your speakers installed? I noticed you're from Hayward and so am I, I'm in the process of upgrading my stereo and been shopping around shops in the area.
Thanks.
ironslug is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hayward
Posts: 127
Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by ironslug View Post
Where did you get your speakers installed? I noticed you're from Hayward and so am I, I'm in the process of upgrading my stereo and been shopping around shops in the area.
Thanks.
I ended up going to SJ to get it installed for 55$. Independent contractor, he does a good job as long as you tell him what you want and how you want it done. 55 for deck and sub install. The problem I encountered wasnt because of his install, but rather the subs I had. He has good yelp reviews as well.

OC Customs - San Jose, CA
adriandjesus is offline  
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
  #10  
Registered User
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: california
Posts: 134
Car Info: SWP STi
cool, thanks, I'll look into it.
ironslug is offline  
Old 12-16-2012, 01:39 PM
  #11  
Nobody likes the tuna here
iTrader: (51)
 
Heedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere San Mateo County, Inside A 911 Ambulance
Posts: 19,781
Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Volkey View Post
...and I thought this was a fishing thread...
I KNOW YOUS AINT FISHING!!!

lol
Heedz is offline  
Old 12-19-2012, 05:50 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 7
radio shack sells passive crossovers for pretty cheap. that would help cut out the bass. if your useing aftermarket speakers with the stock headunit though i wouldnt think there being overpowered. unless you went with some crap brand. might check your ground and speaker wires and make sure they've got good solid connections.
Frank Lacy is offline  
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 PM
  #13  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hayward
Posts: 127
Car Info: 2004 WRX
UPDATE: So it seems like that the thump is because the amp gets the power too early or something, after few months of it taking a beating the 20a fuse finally blew out. I tried replacing it but everytime I replaced it the moment I connect the battery the new (cheap) fuse blows out instantly. Does anyone know how to fix this? aside from buying quality fuse what else can i do? I remember seeing those small things that you connect to the amp or something that pretty much lags the power and power cut by 1 second before and after turning it on/off so that it doesnt cause the thump. I dont know much about sound system :x
adriandjesus is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ShotgunTC88
Stereo & Security
2
01-11-2003 12:39 AM
PimpWagon
Stereo & Security
15
01-06-2003 07:58 AM
bundyboyz
Stereo & Security
1
01-02-2003 09:35 PM
Steppin Razor
For Sale by Members
0
12-19-2002 03:30 AM
Big Joe
For Sale by Members
0
12-13-2002 09:52 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bass?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.