i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Stereo & Security (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/)
-   -   Bass? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/bass-246136/)

adriandjesus 11-08-2012 11:20 AM

Bass?

Hello guys!

So a few months back I had an impulse on replacing all 4 of my door speakers with aftermarket ones (plus tweeters) because the stock speakers were busted already. Needless to say, I was too excited to check the speakers inside before leaving the shop. At the moment I was happy cause my speakers at least werent the cracked and busted sounding one before. I didnt buy a deck with it cause I ran out of funds. Lately, I noticed that when I turn up the volume at certain volume and certain songs that i slightly hear my speakers crack? (is that the term when they cant handle the bass)

NOW, today theres an Infinity Basslink powered sub sitting in my garage and an Alpine CDE-121 deck coming. My question is that would the addition of the sub redirect the bass to the sub instead of the speakers? I mean I guess speakers still produce some amount of bass, but Im just worried that I mightve "cracked" my few month old speakers or I was jipped at the audio store where i bought and got my speakers installed.

Sorry for the long confusing paragraphs :faint:

JourdanWithaU 11-08-2012 11:39 AM

Sounds like your current system is clipping. Although clipping isn't necessarily bad, it does sound bad and puts more stress on your speakers.

As far as sending bass to the sub and not your doors... Depends on your head unit. Most modern units have a frequency filter (high-pass or band-pass) and you can select which frequency range goes to which output. So you can specifically tune your stereo to send lower frequencies to your subwoofer and higher frequencies to your door speakers.

04GG 11-08-2012 01:00 PM

Clipping is bad; especially if it is to the point that you can actually hear it. Some clipping is common, but audible clipping is not good for your speakers.

I've owned the Basslink before and it is a surprisingly decent sub.

JVerma19990 11-08-2012 07:18 PM

The deck you ordered does not have a High-pass filter so on the eq in the deck just turn down the bass level and up the sub level and you should be ok. I would recommend a higher series alpine deck like the HD137HD, has high pass, along with B/T and front rear and sub outputs with full iPod control via USB and BT streaming audio and calling. This head unit would allow for a lot more expandability in the long run like a 4 channel amp for highs or alpines KTP-445 power pack, will improve the sound of your door speakers as well as volume because you will have more power to them. Sorry I sound like a stereo sales man, it's cuz I am... Good luck with whatever route you choose! If you really want to go there, get the HD138BT this has all the same features as the 137 but has higher voltage RCA outputs as well as sat radio ready

adriandjesus 11-08-2012 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=JourdanWithaU;3314421]Sounds like your current system is clipping. Although clipping isn't necessarily bad, it does sound bad and puts more stress on your speakers.

As far as sending bass to the sub and not your doors... Depends on your head unit. Most modern units have a frequency filter (high-pass or band-pass) and you can select which frequency range goes to which output. So you can specifically tune your stereo to send lower frequencies to your subwoofer and higher frequencies to your door speakers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! but i think I will go with Jverma19990 said on lowering the bass level and up the sub level

[QUOTE=04GG;3314458]Clipping is bad; especially if it is to the point that you can actually hear it. Some clipping is common, but audible clipping is not good for your speakers.

I've owned the Basslink before and it is a surprisingly decent sub.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I listened to some videos on youtube about clipping speakers and that doesnt seem to be the problem on my setup...I guess its just hard for me to explain. or maybe its simply too much for my speakers to handle without a sub or better deck.

[QUOTE=JVerma19990;3314602]The deck you ordered does not have a High-pass filter so on the eq in the deck just turn down the bass level and up the sub level and you should be ok. I would recommend a higher series alpine deck like the HD137HD, has high pass, along with B/T and front rear and sub outputs with full iPod control via USB and BT streaming audio and calling. This head unit would allow for a lot more expandability in the long run like a 4 channel amp for highs or alpines KTP-445 power pack, will improve the sound of your door speakers as well as volume because you will have more power to them. Sorry I sound like a stereo sales man, it's cuz I am... Good luck with whatever route you choose! If you really want to go there, get the HD138BT this has all the same features as the 137 but has higher voltage RCA outputs as well as sat radio ready[/QUOTE]

Ill definitely check out this deck first before upgrading because im not that big of a sound system guy and most likely will stick to this setup if it helps me rid of the weird sound I get. Its on rare occasions though that I hear that noise. Thank you for the reply!: banana :

Am I able to turn down the bass level and sub level via my deck? Or turn down the bass level on the deck and turn up the sub level on the control?

Volkey 11-08-2012 09:02 PM

...and I thought this was a fishing thread...

adriandjesus 11-08-2012 09:51 PM

[QUOTE=Volkey;3314643]...and I thought this was a fishing thread...[/QUOTE]

:jaw::jaw::jaw:

ironslug 12-13-2012 10:44 PM

Where did you get your speakers installed? I noticed you're from Hayward and so am I, I'm in the process of upgrading my stereo and been shopping around shops in the area.
Thanks.

adriandjesus 12-14-2012 01:08 PM

[QUOTE=ironslug;3329916]Where did you get your speakers installed? I noticed you're from Hayward and so am I, I'm in the process of upgrading my stereo and been shopping around shops in the area.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I ended up going to SJ to get it installed for 55$. Independent contractor, he does a good job as long as you tell him what you want and how you want it done. 55 for deck and sub install. The problem I encountered wasnt because of his install, but rather the subs I had. He has good yelp reviews as well.

[url=http://www.yelp.com/biz/oc-customs-san-jose]OC Customs - San Jose, CA[/url]

ironslug 12-14-2012 06:53 PM

cool, thanks, I'll look into it.

Heedz 12-16-2012 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=Volkey;3314643]...and I thought this was a fishing thread...[/QUOTE]

I KNOW YOUS AINT FISHING!!!

lol

Frank Lacy 12-19-2012 04:50 AM

radio shack sells passive crossovers for pretty cheap. that would help cut out the bass. if your useing aftermarket speakers with the stock headunit though i wouldnt think there being overpowered. unless you went with some crap brand. might check your ground and speaker wires and make sure they've got good solid connections.

adriandjesus 03-01-2013 07:32 PM

UPDATE: So it seems like that the thump is because the amp gets the power too early or something, after few months of it taking a beating the 20a fuse finally blew out. I tried replacing it but everytime I replaced it the moment I connect the battery the new (cheap) fuse blows out instantly. Does anyone know how to fix this? aside from buying quality fuse what else can i do? I remember seeing those small things that you connect to the amp or something that pretty much lags the power and power cut by 1 second before and after turning it on/off so that it doesnt cause the thump. I dont know much about sound system :x