Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Amp Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2003, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 2002 Alpine White WRX
If you check all the wires going in to the amp and they produce the voltage required then chances are you don't have a short, I think your amp is done, maybe something came loose and it's shorting inside the amp. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:47 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
1)The "ground" and the "power" wires seemed to be OK, and the "remote on" wire had power until the radio was turned on and then it had close to none which I assume is normal?

it should be opposite on the remote lead. power(red, +, to battery) has 12v(or 14.4v if car is running) when tested across that and any metal part on the chassis(ground, -, blah blah) the ground should have 0 volts across it and the chassis, the remote should have 0v across it and the chassis when power to the radio is off. when power to the radio is on it should have 12v.

2)opened up my amp to see if there was any visible burned evidence, but there was nothing so I put it back together.

look closely, sometimes it will be hard to see, chances are it was a resistor or a capacitor. may look slightly disclored on the circuit board from underneath. chances are if it smoked at all, the amp is done, it will not work again.

3)How can I test to see if my amp is working on it's own, to see if it's my wiring or my amp?

put a wire from the positive terminal on your battery to the power and remote on terminals on your amp, then touch/hold(youll know which one to do when you do it ) the amp should light up and not smoke. if it smokes, it is no good.

4)so I looked at the fuse and it was blown.
which fuse? the one near the battery or the one built into the amp

hope i helped a little
Old 06-06-2003, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 2001 sub. imp.
remote coming out of the heaq unit should be blue. it is the same lead that goes to a power antenna if you have one. it should go out of the head unit, then straight to your amp remote on lead, it connects to no other points