Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Alpine coax into Kartboys install. With pics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM

Car Info: 2009 VW GTI
Alpine coax into Kartboys install. With pics.

Installing Alpine Type S coax on Kartboys w pics. I got the Metra 9301 speaker adapters also. I'm going to leave all 4 doors in same orientation, so no need to reverse the polarity. The good news is the Alpines are a 100% match to the Kartboy spacers.

The Metra 9301 adapters everyone talks about. Got them at Circuit City. Expensive, $10.99 each box:

Showing the perfect fit of Alpine Type-S into the Kartboy spacers. Even the speaker bolt holes line up:

The door handle cover/tweeter cover:

After removing the 2 screws from the handle inner cover and armrest, you then pull up on the rear of the over like this:

This shows the door after I unbolted the stock tweeter. I will not be using it, it will screw up aftermarket coax bad. The tweet and stock mid are 4 ohm each. That means they feed the OEM deck 2 ohm final load. If you leave the stock tweet hooked up you will have a 3 ohm load, whereas aftermarket decks have a 4 ohm minimum per corner. Plus yuo'll have stupid highs.

The stock speaker hold down screws are way too short to use with the spacers. So you need to find longer screws:

This shows the Metra speaker adapter hooked to factory harness. No cutting at all, I will def put the stock stuff back in if I ever sell the car. The adapters arent 100% fit, you gotta bend stuff around until it slides in:

Showing the Kartboy spacer bolted to door:

Alpine Type S coaxial staged in spacer, very nice fit:

BONUS PICS

Rear door with panel removed. Comes off the exact same way as fronts. But one extra screw in rear area of door:

The incredibly crappy stock rear speaker:

Conclusion:

The speakers sound excellent, far better than stock speakers off an aftermarket deck. I now realized my highs were almost non existent with the stock speakers. Also, I could only bring my Pioneer deck to about 38-40 volume and I'd get bad distortion. Now I can bring the deck to 50-60 with no noticable distortion. I thought the stock speakers were fine... until I heard how good aftermarket speakers sounded.

Now I have to search and figure out how to replace some rear speakers to complete the job.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 PM

I bought 5.25" Alpine Type-S today for the rear doors. I'm going to see what it takes to make them fit. Hopefully not much cutting if any, so i can bolt the stock speakers back in later. I have a set of IA spacers coming for them. I can tell the spacer only has to be about 1/4", but the tweet might hit the door panel.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

Instead of making a new thread.. just some pics of my Pioneer deck and SIRIUS tuner install..

Old 12-28-2007, 03:54 PM

I never expected a $100 deck and $100 front speakers to sound this good. Blows away the stock setup. And nothing is cut, so i can return to stock when I sell it.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM

im not worried about anyone stealing this cheap crap. even if they did, i wouldnt care. thats why i only spent about $100 on each piece. The face is deatchable too, of course.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by plac
I bought 5.25" Alpine Type-S today for the rear doors. I'm going to see what it takes to make them fit. Hopefully not much cutting if any, so i can bolt the stock speakers back in later. I have a set of IA spacers coming for them. I can tell the spacer only has to be about 1/4", but the tweet might hit the door panel.
keep us posted on this.

I have IA spacers in the front and run 6.5's. I just found an old pair of Pheonix Gold 5.25's in my closet that I had in my last car...I'd like to stick those in the back but don't want to go the IA route. Wasn't all that impressed.

Also can you take some measurements and let me know how much you had to trim of the holes in the back and the max speaker depth.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:11 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by eroc263
Clean install. I like how you mounted the antenna for the satellite radio. Just a word of advice, try to find yourself some tamper-proof torx screws to hold your radio in. I have learned it makes it that much harder for a thief to get your radio out since it not a common fastener. I picked up some from Fastenal for a few dollars. Every little bit helps.
saved my stereo in S.F. a while back.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 AM

My IA rear spacers should arrive tomorrow. With the holidays and all, they didnt ship for a full week after I had paid.. my rear doors been apart since last week.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 PM

the REAR Alpine 5.25" into IA Performance spacer results..

They do not fit. Only because of the tweeter. So I made 4 tiny holes and bolted them to the doors for now. I might find some straight 4" components instead, but i need to try these out tomorrow to see how bad the highs sound.

Spacer itself is a nice fit on the door:

You couldnt use the holes in the spacers as-is, as the screws are a lot longer. It would jam into the door and push out the spacer. So you'll notice the tiny 4 holes I drilled in the metal at those 4 bolt holes. So the bolt has somewhere to go as it bottoms out.

Everything looked perfect when I mounted the speaker, until I tried to put the door panel on:

So I ended up utilizing those same 4 holes for now, until I think of a better setup. I do want the spacers installed to isolate some metal on metal vibrations:

Old 01-07-2008, 06:17 PM

Car Info: 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX
How did this sound with the metal on metal?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:20 PM

ahh no problems with the metal on metal.. i removed them only because of the tweet sounds in the rear.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:10 AM

ahh no problems with the metal on metal.. i removed them only because of the tweet sounds in the rear.
Thanks for the reply.
Just didn't like the tweeters? Or did they hit the panel?
What speakers did you wind up using?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM

I didnt like highs in the back. I guess I still have some of that SQ mentality somewhere deep inside still. I stayed with stock rears which sound perfect to me now. Just a little more fill for fuller sound, but the highs dont distract you.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:40 PM
General Pimpin'

I didnt like highs in the back. I guess I still have some of that SQ mentality somewhere deep inside still. I stayed with stock rears which sound perfect to me now. Just a little more fill for fuller sound, but the highs dont distract you.
I'm an SQ guy myself. It's why I run 6.5's up front with tweets in the a pillars.

I am gonna use those adapters to get just some extra mid to the rear doors. Not gonna run a tweater at all in the rear door. Really just so the folks in the back seat can hear more than just my sub.

the stereo as it is now is really just set up for me and the front passenger. Mostly me.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:27 PM

I put the Alpine Type S 5.25's in the rear as pictured above (metal on metal), and they sound good, I don't mind highs in the back. Thanks for posting though, it really helped make my decision (and installation) easier.