Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

04 WRX sedan Stereo setup help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 06:42 PM

04 WRX sedan Stereo setup help

Hi, Im new to the forum and i know that this has been asked many times, but I need (ANOTHER) set of new front door speakers. I swapped out the stock components for a set of Kenwood KEF-P708's running off of a 350W alpine amp. The speakers were too deep, so i made custom spacers, but they either get in the way of the window, or are touching the inside grill of the door. So, the first set of the kenwoods that i got, the passenger side blew out from the slightest touching of the grill, and now, with my second warranted set, the driver side has gone(while installing the second time i made new thinner spacers, and trimmed down the sharp edges of the door grill). Im looking for speakers that sounds pretty good on an amp, and will fit without modification or spacers, or (if i can still warranty these again) advice on how to mount them safely. Thank you so much for any advice!
Old 01-30-2011, 08:26 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Is the amp 350w max? or RMS? If its RMS then that divided by 4 is still 87 watts if 2 then 175, thats way too much power and those speakers run at 3ohms which will draw a bit more power.

If that's not the case. I just looked your speakers up, they came up with a 6 1/2-6 3/4 component size, the wrx is 5 1/4 speaker size up front.

New speakers inifinity's tweeters always end up shrill, boston acoustic ones sound a bit muddy sometimes, JL components sound really balanced, I dont think the alpine type r's would fit those would be my first choice but those are too deep.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
look into the rockford fosgate punch 6.5" seperates. they sound pretty good are pretty cheap and are shallow i think i used a .5" spacer and it fit fine
Old 02-08-2011, 03:13 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I know the focal's are pretty shallow.

On the glass there is a like a clamp that holds the window. You can dremel that down a little bit to create some space in the back. Then on the door panel you can remove the plastic lip around the speaker grill on the inside of the panel.

AI has some pretty sweet plastic plugs for the door panel that holds it down but gives you like an extra 3/8ths or so inches of space. On my car I had to use those plastic deals, cut the lip off and put a spacer in the door panel to push it out a little bit. I seriously just took some foam and taped it to the door panel. Worked killer.

I also dremmeled the clip deal a tiny bit. I run 6.5 inch euro frame CDT's in my doors up front and nothing in the rear. I have the spacers to run 5.25 in the doors I just haven't done it yet.