Tustin Goodyear Insanely Inept Service

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 11:12 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
Tustin Goodyear Insanely Inept Service

I'm really really loathe to complain about places and do this, but I feel an obligation to warn anyone in the Tustin area to avoid this place at all costs. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried, so here's the truth and nothing but:

A week ago, I had a flat and I was in a big rush to get it patched. I went to the closest tire shop, Goodyear in Tustin. Dropped it off at 9 AM and requested rotation, balancing and alignment too. The goon said it'd take two hours. FIVE hours later, I got my car back, supposedly fixed, balanced rotated and balanced.

A week later, the same tire goes flat while I'm on the highway. I brought it back to them this morning and they NOW tell me my rim is CRACKED and it wasn't the tire at all!!

So I'm in there with the actual guy that "repaired" my tire...and he's telling the sales guy that there WAS NO PATCH DONE..yet...I got CHARGED for one. I then asked why my rim with a noticable scratch is still in the same position as last week....meaning NO rotation was done either!!

The goon muttered something like...he must have misplaced it or something. So not only did they CHARGE me for work NOT DONE...but their inability to correctly diagnose the problem in the first place led to MUCH more extensive damage to my rim and tire. I've got a bubble in the tire, and the rim is bent from being driven fat.

They issued a minor refund, but that's nothing compared to the damage to my rim AND not to mention the potential for catastrophic damage due to their neglect.

I'm going to speak to the manager tomorrow because he's conveniently "not in today". I'm going to demand a repair to my rim and four new tires...not too out of the reach for something this egregious right?

STAY AWAY FROM TUSTIN GOODYEAR.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:24 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
BAR

wow thats a load of crap
Old 10-31-2005, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 sti
hope you get your stuff fixed, cuz that's just not right
Old 10-31-2005, 04:31 PM
kym

Car Info: Lotus Elise
Redhill and Walnut?

I had them do a pressure test on my radiator and cooling system on my old Civic about 7-8 months ago ... they found a tiny leak, and then didn't tighten the radiator cap before giving my car back to me. 10 miles later, I'm overheating on Redhill with no coolant in my car.

Needless to say, I don't recommend this place either.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
it sounds like that episode of Dave Chappelle when they were in that copy club episode about " I'd like to speak to the manager, I am the ****ing manager"
Old 10-31-2005, 05:39 PM
9 to 5 mod

There You Go !!!!!!!!!!!!

Call The Bar!
Old 11-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Update: Things are going south. So far south, I may have to find a lawyer. Here's a log of everything that transpired from Monday til now:

Monday 10/31
9 AM: Dropped off car for repair
10 AM: John indicates a cracked rim as the cause of the flat tire
Repairman (no name noted) states NO patch job was done, tire was NOT the problem
John states a "communication" problem
A circle was marked on an area that could have been a hole, but no patch was applied
Lack of tire rotation also discussed: John claims a "mistake" must have been made
John claims rim crack is NOT a result of the tire being flat, also shows damage to the rim and tire. John claimed the crack could have been the cause for the leak in the first place but nothing was indicated whether they detected the crack during the first "repair" or whether anything was communicated regarding that problem.

My opinion: Neglegence from the first "repair" led to further damage to my rim and tire

Tuesday 11/01
10 AM (phone call):Called store, spoke to Jim (Manager) on phone..explained situation, he requested to see the rim for possible repair. I requested four tires and rim repair. Four tires b/c it is an all wheel drive system and one new tire with 3 old tires will hurt transmission.
Returned to store, gave rim and tire to Jim. He stated he'd speak to owner and also talk to rim repair place for an estimate

11:30 AM (in person): Dropped off the tires, Jim requested I bring in 3 other rims and tires. Indicated if those tires were in poor condition, I would have NO case for replacement.

Wednesday 11/02
11:30 AM: Returned to store with 3 tires and rims
Jim informs me the owner was previously willing to repair the rim and the one tire, but because I requested FOUR tires, he will provide NOTHING. Quote from Jim: "He got real p*ssed off you were asking for four tires and will not give you anything."
We returned to the issue of fault and blame and their story changed.

Jim now says the initial "repair" that I was charged for was really a matter of an internal communication problem. He now says the fault of the tire could have been undetectable and they were not liable for determining the problem with the first flat tire. He then stated that the damage to the rim could not have been a result of their "non-repairwork", so much as a problem with that undetectable flat. Jim claimed the flat tire could have been caused by a tiny nail that somehow came off later or a hairline fracture that got worse.

NOW stated they placed the tire under water during inital "repair" and saw no bubbles or holes, so they did NOT detect a problem with air.

He was basically absolving the company of the blame for the damage to the rim and tire because the flat tire had a problem that was "undetectable". He admitted the communication problem, but concluded that the communication had nothing to do with me driving on a broken wheel.

I left the place quite upset and told them they'd hear from a lawyer. Jim was unfazed. I'm starting to think they don't really care that much about a lawsuit or complaints.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bluewrxmachine
Update: Things are going south. So far south, I may have to find a lawyer. Here's a log of everything that transpired from Monday til now:

Monday 10/31
Repairman (no name noted) states NO patch job was done, tire was NOT the problem
A circle was marked on an area that could have been a hole, but no patch was applied
Lack of tire rotation also discussed: John claims a "mistake" must have been made
John claims rim crack is NOT a result of the tire being flat, also shows damage to the rim and tire. John claimed the crack could have been the cause for the leak in the first place but nothing was indicated whether they detected the crack during the first "repair" or whether anything was communicated regarding that problem.

My opinion: Neglegence from the first "repair" led to further damage to my rim and tire

Tuesday 11/01
10 AM (phone call):Called store, spoke to Jim (Manager) on phone..explained situation, he requested to see the rim for possible repair. I requested four tires and rim repair. Four tires b/c it is an all wheel drive system and one new tire with 3 old tires will hurt transmission.
Returned to store, gave rim and tire to Jim. He stated he'd speak to owner and also talk to rim repair place for an estimate

11:30 AM (in person): Dropped off the tires, Jim requested I bring in 3 other rims and tires. Indicated if those tires were in poor condition, I would have NO case for replacement.

Wednesday 11/02
Jim informs me the owner was previously willing to repair the rim and the one tire, but because I requested FOUR tires, he will provide NOTHING. Quote from Jim: "He got real p*ssed off you were asking for four tires and will not give you anything."

Jim now says the initial "repair" that I was charged for was really a matter of an internal communication problem. He now says the fault of the tire could have been undetectable and they were not liable for determining the problem with the first flat tire. He then stated that the damage to the rim could not have been a result of their "non-repairwork", so much as a problem with that undetectable flat. Jim claimed the flat tire could have been caused by a tiny nail that somehow came off later or a hairline fracture that got worse.

NOW stated they placed the tire under water during inital "repair" and saw no bubbles or holes, so they did NOT detect a problem with air.

He was basically absolving the company of the blame for the damage to the rim and tire because the flat tire had a problem that was "undetectable". He admitted the communication problem, but concluded that the communication had nothing to do with me driving on a broken wheel.

I left the place quite upset and told them they'd hear from a lawyer. Jim was unfazed. I'm starting to think they don't really care that much about a lawsuit or complaints.

well to be honest with you when I used to work at ISR back when it was owned by Pam and Ed, when people made threats about bringing in a lawyer, it never really fazed me either. We always felt we can come to a compromise.

Don't get me wrong because I percieve myself as an ******* on the forums but the truth is, unless your case is over $5000.00 in loses, most lawyers won't go for it.

Since they did offer to replace or fix the juan rim, I would have taken it. Instead you told them " I have AWD and it will ruin the drivetrain." Sorry d00d that's BS, if you knew anything about the drive train on the subaru it is nothing like that at all.

I don't mean to hate on you but seriously, you could of handled this in a different way. Yeah they messed up and so does the burger joint when you tell them no pickles.

Just get the 1 rim and tire fixed, move on.
Old 11-02-2005, 03:52 PM

You're right. I'm a total idiot and I don't jack about the drive train on the subaru. But if it makes you feel better, I think Tirerack doesn't know jack either.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

And Subaru? Yeah, let's disregard them too because they don't know jack about the drive train on the Subaru either.
http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcare...id=TIRED_TIRES

Who knows, maybe you've got the uberSube which is immune from these pedestrian considerations. Why don't you drive on 1 new tire and 3 older tires and tell me your transmission will come out unscathed after a few thousand miles. I'm right behind ya!

For the record, they didn't offer anything. I'd accept 1 tire and 1 rim too. But for the owner to completely shut off any avenue for compromise is not what I'd consider good business practice.

But the other point where you compare tire repair to a burger without pickes? Let's not get ludicrous. A blown tire on the highway vs a missing pickle couldn't be more different from the perspective of severity. You forget the point that THEIR incompetency caused the damage in the first place, not to mention the fact that they put me in serious danger sending me back out on the road without properly inspecting a tire setup.

Look, I emphasize this point...I'm not some punk dillweed out to make a buck or score some extra free stuff, I'm just trying to repair the situation and get myself back on the road safely. I could easily call fraud for the sham job "rotation" and "repair" they charged me for, but I'm trying to be reasonable here....handling it DIFFERENTLY.

Bottom line, I went in with a flat tire, came out with a busted rim and tire. I told them I'd work with them regarding some resolution, so it's not like I'm demanding a brand new STI as a result of their incompetency.

You're right about the lawyer thing. I'm looking at small claims. I have the truth to tell and all the documentation indicates the fault is theirs. It's really the reparations that are the issue at this point. You've had people threatening lawyers...do we attribute that to bad customers or bad business practice?
Old 11-02-2005, 04:05 PM
9 to 5 mod

Monday 10/31

Tuesday 11/01

Wednesday 11/02

i told you at teh beginning call the BAR
Old 11-02-2005, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Hey man I'm not putting you down or anything that's just the way I see it.

You're right. I'm a total idiot and I don't jack about the drive train on the subaru. But if it makes you feel better, I think Tirerack doesn't know jack either.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=18

And Subaru? Yeah, let's disregard them too because they don't know jack about the drive train on the Subaru either.
http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcare...id=TIRED_TIRES
Regardless of the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, the least stressful application is when all four tires are the same tire brand, tread design and equivalent tread depth.

-so basically they're saying not to buy 1 falken GRB 215/45/17 and the other side is an yokohama ES100 225/40/17. That's all they're saying, make sure when you buy the tires they're all the same size.

I do not want to dis-credit or take anything away from Luke and Paul@tirerack.com but think about it, their job is to sell tires.

For safe vehicle operation, SUBARU recommends replacing all four tires at the same time.
WARNING: All four tires must be the same in terms of manufacturer, brand (tread pattern), construction, degree of wear, speed symbol, load index and size. Mixing tires of different types, sizes or degrees of wear can result in damage to the vehicle's power train.

-Again all they are saying is get the same tire, Now I know it says degree of wear, which mean "what is the tread wear rating." Please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure you would be aware if they gave you a larger tire as a replacement.

When it comes to replacing tires you should always do them in pairs. If you have no time or no choice but to only replace 1, its ok, but the principle Idea is to buy tires in pairs.

Then again what do I know about cars, let alone tires?

Who knows, maybe you've got the uberSube which is immune from these pedestrian considerations. Why don't you drive on 1 new tire and 3 older tires and tell me your transmission will come out unscathed after a few thousand miles. I'm right behind ya!
I have and I'll fill you in a little secret, Tires, don't break transmission, either the driver does, or installer failure. I'm on my 2nd transmission and I blame no one. If a tire were the sole cause for transmission failure, I think Subaru, no scratch that all Car makers would go out of business by now.

But then again what do I know about transmissions, or let alone cars?

For the record, they didn't offer anything. I'd accept 1 tire and 1 rim too. But for the owner to completely shut off any avenue for compromise is not what I'd consider good business practice.
He did offer to replace it for you but you tried to get 4 tires replaced!

But the other point where you compare tire repair to a burger without pickes? Let's not get ludicrous. A blown tire on the highway vs a missing pickle couldn't be more different from the perspective of severity. You forget the point that THEIR incompetency caused the damage in the first place, not to mention the fact that they put me in serious danger sending me back out on the road without properly inspecting a tire setup.
Maybe it was a bad anology, how bout this whenever you buy something you check it first?

I'm really really loathe to complain about places and do this, but I feel an obligation to warn anyone in the Tustin area to avoid this place at all costs. I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried, so here's the truth and nothing but:

A week ago, I had a flat and I was in a big rush to get it patched. I went to the closest tire shop, Goodyear in Tustin. Dropped it off at 9 AM and requested rotation, balancing and alignment too. The goon said it'd take two hours. FIVE hours later, I got my car back, supposedly fixed, balanced rotated and balanced.

A week later, the same tire goes flat while I'm on the highway. I brought it back to them this morning and they NOW tell me my rim is CRACKED and it wasn't the tire at all!!

So I'm in there with the actual guy that "repaired" my tire...and he's telling the sales guy that there WAS NO PATCH DONE..yet...I got CHARGED for one. I then asked why my rim with a noticable scratch is still in the same position as last week....meaning NO rotation was done either!!

The goon muttered something like...he must have misplaced it or something. So not only did they CHARGE me for work NOT DONE...but their inability to correctly diagnose the problem in the first place led to MUCH more extensive damage to my rim and tire. I've got a bubble in the tire, and the rim is bent from being driven fat.

They issued a minor refund, but that's nothing compared to the damage to my rim AND not to mention the potential for catastrophic damage due to their neglect.

I'm going to speak to the manager tomorrow because he's conveniently "not in today". I'm going to demand a repair to my rim and four new tires...not too out of the reach for something this egregious right?

STAY AWAY FROM TUSTIN GOODYEAR.
You would think most car enthusiasts would know better to take it to a place like this. C'mon do you get your oil changes at walmart. Treat your car better. I know you were pressed for time, but seriously give your car more respect. How many ferrari's have you seen there at Goodyear?

Look, I emphasize this point...I'm not some punk dillweed out to make a buck or score some extra free stuff, I'm just trying to repair the situation and get myself back on the road safely. I could easily call fraud for the sham job "rotation" and "repair" they charged me for, but I'm trying to be reasonable here....handling it DIFFERENTLY.

Bottom line, I went in with a flat tire, came out with a busted rim and tire. I told them I'd work with them regarding some resolution, so it's not like I'm demanding a brand new STI as a result of their incompetency.
I never said you were some punk dillweed, I was sharing you some of my opinions to why they were treating you like this since I've been on the other side thinking it would help you get more of a general idea, but instead you chose to take it as an insult and attack my intelligence.

You're right about the lawyer thing. I'm looking at small claims. I have the truth to tell and all the documentation indicates the fault is theirs. It's really the reparations that are the issue at this point. You've had people threatening lawyers...do we attribute that to bad customers or bad business practice?
I still must say even though its a flat tire, a cracked rim, your personal time, is it really worth it to invest more into a situation of who's right and who's wrong?

I know their a business, and you're a buyer or the customer, but seriously you should not let this get the better of you and let it waste your time and efforts.

I'm not saying your cheap, or an ***, or a d1ck, I can see your points. I'm just giving you my opinions. This is why you post on a public forum.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:33 PM

Car Info: accord
response

response
Attached Thumbnails Tustin Goodyear Insanely Inept Service-kettle.jpg  
Old 11-02-2005, 07:33 PM

"He did offer to replace it for you but you tried to get 4 tires replaced!" - Nothing was offered. Let me clarify the statement. This is what was relayed by the manager: "The owner was going to offer 1 tire/rim repair, but rescinded WITHOUT TALKING TO ME because he got mad"...to summarize, the owner made the decision based on my request and got so mad, didn't bother to try negotiation.

"degree of wear" was my point of contention. new tires, old tires...difference...whatever.

ehhh...you know what? I don't want to get into a big ol pissin match here, so let's just say what I said before. I'm an idiot. I'm stupid, you're smart and know everything and I'm a big fat moron n00b who can't find the gas cap. I'm outta here. Mike, it was nice to meet you. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2005, 09:15 PM

Car Info: Job Wanted!
Well, call up their corporate office. Usually the only way to solve these things is to go above the store manager.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:04 AM
9 to 5 mod

nice meeting you too

still call bar