Going to UTI

Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 PM

Car Info: 04 rally blue wrx sedan
Going to UTI

Hello SoCal
I normally post in the Bay Area forum but I need a little help from my SoCal neighbors. So, my girlfriend and I plan to move that way within the next couple of months because I'll be attending Universal Technical Institute in Rancho Cucamonga. I know nothing about the area and I was wondering if you guys/gals could suggest a safe and decent area to live. We're looking for a 1 bedroom apt. around $900-$1100. And, are there any meets in that area? Does anyone else attend UTI? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Joe
Old 01-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 95 Legacy wagon
Smile a bit of help

thats cool that you will be moving down to SoCal. As for UTI...I've heard funny things about that school and the students. A teacher of mine teaches there and the school I currently attend and he tells too many funny stories...

As for a place, you've got a perfect price range to work within the Alta Loma area (Northern Rancho). I think the name of one of the apartment complexes was the Borgata...I can't remember off of the top of my head what the other one was though. I know there isn't a garage, but most the parking is covered. and the complexes all along that street are gated. A friend of mine used to live up there and I loved his apartment. He had a 1bed/bath and nice space and i think he was paying about $850 or so a month.

As far as meets...there is one at the beginning of each month in Fontana. You'll see the thread for that pop up every now and then. We are also within proximity to the Redlands and Riverside meets. Lotsa cool, nice people at most of the meets. Havent been to one in a while but I lurk all over the boards all the time...**** I dont even own a WRX...I drive a civic (for cryin out loud....:P)

Lemme know when you do move down here and I can show you around the area.

BTW (I almost forgot this)...The apartments that I am speaking of are all off of Lemon Ave in Alta Loma. Closest cross street is Haven Ave.

If you need some more info, just let me know.

JAN
Old 01-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
yea jan hurry and sell your cars and get that wagon you want
Old 01-24-2005, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info and offer to show me around I may take you up on the offer when I get out there, onefasazan. Good to here that rents affordable too. But whats the deal with the funny stories about UTI? What have you heard?

Joe
Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 PM

Thumbs down

im a graduate of UTI< im going to arizona in feb to start my Volvo training,

i graduated UTI in december........worst year of my life, all the students are Jackasses and half the teachers dont know what they are talking about, that HOT-Rod U is a bunch of BS, you get to work on Small block chevy's that have be torn apart about a 1000 times, seriously i was Very disapointed with UTI, its a waste of 23G's i wish i would have gone to Wyo tech instead........oh well honestly i would get out while you still have a chance,

moral of the story, UTI= ( coming from a UTI grad that is going to a CTG)
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM

ok...seeing as he said it first...^^^^^

I've heard many funny things about UTI...

-Good friend of mine+UTI education @ 14k or 17k (can't remember exactly)+a year 'n change = now poor friend+didn't learn squat except he didn't need to go there+waste of a year'n change...but using the talent he already had, he scored a nice job over at a large automotive lifestyle store

-teacher of mine who works there says majority of students there are riding the wave of pumped up ego from the commercials and recruiters/counelors. A few guys over there thought they knew more than the teacher and proceeded to change a timing belt on an LS/VTEC...easy...well they couldnt get the car to turn over. Then another instructor came to help. Still nothing. Said F-it and took it off and tried again...got the car running...for a few seconds, then the 11.8:1 JE pistons came into contact with the Skunk2 valves and broke the JUN3 cam...yeah my teacher took all of those part names from the spec sheet the guy printed out to hand out...he was a SUPAPRO...err yeah...mulched what was once a nice block..

-Another teacher of mine that runs a shop at a reputable dealer said that one of the techs that they hired for the other department came up to him one day and asked him to machine a block for him at my school. Teacher asks "Don't you go to UTI?" Student replies:
"yeah but they wont let us use any of the shop equipment...its for demonstration purposes only...."

kinda steep tuition for a bunch of demonstrations only...

Taken from the website:

UTI'S AUTOMOTIVE SCHOOLS OFFERS

* Strong Industry Connections
* ASE/NATEF Master Certified Programs+
* State-Of-The-Industry Training Facilities
* Practical Hands-On Automotive, Diesel, & Collision Training
* Experienced Faculty
* Student Services
* Employment Services
* Financial Aid For Those Who Qualify
* Free Refresher Courses After Graduation
* $1,000 Worth Of Snap-On Tools Upon Graduation
* Programs Approved For Veteran’s Training

Funny...all the student i talk to said the didn't get s**tworth hands-on...

a grand worth of snap-on tools is a hand full...no i swear...

its funny how many students at my school enrolled in automotive technology courses graduated from UTI... you would think they'd be working as "Technicians" by then...

I would personally recommend from my experience that UTI be attended after basic ASE certificates are completed...they tend to rush you through courses there...

as far as jackasses, they're at every school. No way around it. Only problem at UTI is they're all "FAST" and "know about cars" and "been in the industry since '92"

We've got those types of guys at my school as well...but those are stories for another day...or probably when you roll down to SoCal...

shi*t I hope this isn't too discouraging...

education IS paramount though
Old 01-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Wow, I didn't realize how long that was...and I got off of work at 7am...I need to sleep ;P
Old 01-25-2005, 11:06 AM

Wow man I'm glad I asked and I really appreciate the genuine unbiased input you've given. But so far all the responses here in this thread have been negative. There has to be something goood about the school. I mean for $23K, that's the price of tuition now, you've gotta get something. If the school is bull their literature should be completely reworked. They have a very nice set of brochures that look like magazines, but it appears that's all the advertising departments doing. What about the dealer specific training after graduation and the tuition reimbursement program (T.R.I.P.) I would love to go straight to Porsche.

WRXskeet...did you get the Volvo training as a result of graduating UTI?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:41 PM

yea im going to the Volvo CTG (custom training Group), that UTI offer for students that have good grades, good attendence and Professionalism.......

honestly although i did very good at that school, it still was less then i expected....

that 1000 worth of snap on tools is a joke in itself..........i already have grips of Mac tools, but when i got my snap ons i almost **** my pants.......... my little brother is 13 and his Tool box is bigger then what i got, so i just sold it.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:23 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i would have bought them haha
Old 01-25-2005, 02:33 PM

The school could probably be bull, so can the teachers, and so can the students. It just seems that everyone that I have met the went there and go there all were just riding the wave. But there are students like WRXskeet that do well there and try to make something of their time at the school. Some people I've seen get a job at Toyota for example and don't know squat. A friend of mine I go to school with is smart as hell when it comes to cars. He just gets it. I research the hell out of everything and I try to work on everything (most cars, even domestic...but the good domestics). If you want to try your hand at the school and think that it will give you a step up, you gotta work for that step up there since many students there take it for granted...and they just let the school take their money for it. IMHO you can get a great automotive education at a few schools here in "The Empire". And all of them are very affordable. Most of them are community colleges. But its an education. Citrus CC has a great automotive program, as does Chaffey CC. Chaffey's program is re-expanding to again include hiperformance courses. I will also list UTI here. Their program does have some highlights, but the education comes AFTER you graduate from UTI.

I think this add up to 8 or 10 cents already...

I tried not to be very biased on this one....
Old 01-25-2005, 03:25 PM

onefasazn pretty much sumed it up, if you apply yourself each and every day you will take alot from that school, remember its your money, so if you wanna throw it away you can slack off all you want (like most of the people there) when i was there i calculated the tuition and its about $12 an hour to go there so............. just keep your head stright and you will learn alot there and hopefully become a great Auto tech.

BTW what session are you taking the Morning?? thats what i did and let me tell you it was a ***** waking up at 4:00am Monday-friday and taking test at like 6am. did i mention i had Perfect attendance yea i was a Car nerd!!
Old 01-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Yea I pretty much figured that you get what you put into it. And if I do this I'm going all the way for the Porsche program. I know it's the most difficult manufacturer training to get into but I plan to get the most out of my money. I'm still paying my loan off for the bachelors I completed in 03' so I'm in no way ready to throw more money away.
So what about the facility itself? Is it nice, new, offer any resourses to the student? I was planning on heading down that way this weekend to check it out but they don't give tours on weekends.

Thanks again
Joe
Old 01-26-2005, 12:45 AM

Facility itself in nice...should have its own zip code...BRAND NEW...

Morning session is what my friend had...said he hated it...

man I'm tired and i drank a good amount of alcohol tonight...still no sleep since 2pm thursday afternoon...couldnt sleep friday, I don't know why...

CAR NERDS RULE
Old 01-26-2005, 02:36 PM

the porsche program, LOL that is what everyone says, no offense, considering i dont even know you, i seriouly doubt that youll get in, Only about 32 People a year get in out of the WHOLE country, redgardless of what U.T.I told you.............they will say anything to get you to sign on the dotted line

with my GPA at 3.7 with 100% attendance and Professinalism...... i could have easily got into BMW or Mercades, but i chose Volvo because my uncle is a Master tech at Irvine Volvo, so im going to take the safe route because i already know i have a job there.

BTW. i knew someone that had a 4.0 and 100% just like me, and also about 13 S.O.P's and our empolyment director told him to not even try for porsche because its so hard,
and honestly you dont want to work for porsche anyway, you haveto look at the Volume of car out there, because you want to always have a steady flow of cars to work on........thats why one of the other car Manufacturer's because they have LARGE volume of cars out there and you will always have work.......... hope this helps