Site Suggestions and Feedback Submit your input and suggestions - help us make i-Club a better place.

Central Valley Forum Request

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Car Info: plenty
nice to see some more of us from the oakdale/modesto area getting involved in this thread

Ryan
06 wingless Impreza.. or is it wrx..lol
Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
im forit as im in angels camp, and sac thread is too far from me so a central valley thread would be a hell of a lot closer!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX E85 VF34
How about just re-naming Sac and Reno "Central Valley" or Sac/Central Valley. Reno could split off and be the "Nevada" thread.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by PlatNmRex
How about just re-naming Sac and Reno "Central Valley" or Sac/Central Valley. Reno could split off and be the "Nevada" thread.
The Reno guys abandoned us anyway. The only two left are both moderators.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:17 AM

we need a central valley area...sac is hella far from us... the bay area is closer to us then sac is!
Old 09-29-2007, 10:31 AM

SPT,
I have read up lately on how i-club is cracking down on keeping posts 'thread specific.' I also realize the Fact that Nasioc has the advantage of wide-spread forum participation which leads to its large membership and thread participation. However, (and I'm sure this has been debated countless times before) it also seems that their larger membership isn't necesarily better. One thing I love about i-club is how it allows for organization of meetings by area. I have NEVER once heard anyone say "Hey let's go to that Nasioc meet in Livermore, Sac, etc," and instead have always heard Norcal meets linked to i-club.
The ability of i-club to create opportunities for organized meets IN PERSON I believe is it's greatest attribute. Connecting people on the interent is one thing, but allowing them to interact in person via contacts made on forums is another. This is why I think it is so vital to have a central valley area forum. We can still post on tech and random discussion threads whether or not we have our own forum, yet allowing our own regional area forum would give us a start to having some 'i-club suby cohesion' in our growing area.
I think I'll trademark that phrase
Sincerely,
-Brian
Oakdale, California
Old 09-30-2007, 09:35 AM

Car Info: NSX
Tracy +1 right here!
Old 09-30-2007, 10:03 AM

ok brian just about sumd it up.....well he actually owned it!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 AM
spt

Car Info: Proj STI, Evo, JDM 180sx Time Attack, & A3
Originally Posted by PlatNmRex
SPT,
I have read up lately on how i-club is cracking down on keeping posts 'thread specific.' I also realize the Fact that Nasioc has the advantage of wide-spread forum participation which leads to its large membership and thread participation. However, (and I'm sure this has been debated countless times before) it also seems that their larger membership isn't necesarily better. One thing I love about i-club is how it allows for organization of meetings by area. I have NEVER once heard anyone say "Hey let's go to that Nasioc meet in Livermore, Sac, etc," and instead have always heard Norcal meets linked to i-club.
The ability of i-club to create opportunities for organized meets IN PERSON I believe is it's greatest attribute. Connecting people on the interent is one thing, but allowing them to interact in person via contacts made on forums is another. This is why I think it is so vital to have a central valley area forum. We can still post on tech and random discussion threads whether or not we have our own forum, yet allowing our own regional area forum would give us a start to having some 'i-club suby cohesion' in our growing area.
I think I'll trademark that phrase
Sincerely,
-Brian
Oakdale, California
It's not that I'm looking for more membership or trying to increase in size. I'm just looking for more participation as a site in general. To me it seems like there is a lot of separation here between the regions and it doesn't seem like as a site everyone is talking to each other (very clickish). For example if a person signs up on the site and lives in NY, how will they ever begin to start a dialog with any other users when most are doing all of their communication in a specific region. What it does it divides everyone into their regions and the amount of interaction outside of the specific region starts to die off. To me that's a shame because I know most of the users here have a lot of great things to share to the entire community but not everyone gets to see it because it's happening in a specific region only.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm all for creating regional sections so people that live in the same area can communicate. Not to mention having the ability to setup meets and organize events. We just have to remember that I-Club is a National site, which means a main goal of general site interaction should be going on first and then having spill over going on within a specific region. Having general site participation proves to have more benefit because it not only reduces the amount of repetitive questions and subjects, but it helps organize information so more people can find it easier.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:50 PM

Car Info: plenty
Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
we need a central valley area...sac is hella far from us... the bay area is closer to us then sac is!
very true
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by vroompssh
very true
thank u!!

i mean...sacramento is roughly 2 hours from my house, when the east bay is only and hour and a half....so im most likely gunna post in the bay area forums than the sac forum, but the bay area guys tell me to leave...and if i post in the sac forums, they tell me to leave, cause i am not in the "sac" area!!

so we need to either change the name of the sac forums to central california, or get a section of our own!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:52 AM

Car Info: MY00 2.5RS AW
In no way am I trying to choose sides, but I am leaning towards attaining cv forums. I agree w/ both SPT and Brian, as I see see both sides valid---

Ok so we could establish the cv forums and everything would be chummy, but at the same time we run the risk of further development of separation, and suffer further site usage in the general overall scheme of things (in terms of participation goes). On the flip side, we could just not to create one, while we continue doing what we do, using bay/sac/etc. regional threads, but we'd still be lacking in our own communities etc. as we wouldn't have our own home to share ideas and thoughts. In all honesty, I think the best bet is to create a localized, or more so, a centralized web site focusing on just us, as a central group of people. However, doing so would be reflective on a new project of issues.

As far as reinforcing the site goes, I do agree, we should be doing that, and @ the same time not taking away from group participation, and other information ppl can read on their own terms, thereas, not limiting, nor partaking in anything they should or can't. As a means to not hide anything to prevent repetitive information, I believe it's sort of at it's own discretion on the OP. On a more personal level, I go to not just 1 section of the regional forums, but many. A lot of the times, I'll visit whatever happens to catch my eye.

There are a lot of things that could "eventually" happen to the site, but either we can find a way to maintain this ongoing endeavor of site participation, usage, sharing of info. etc., or we could find a way to accept that perhaps, creating a CV forum won't affect it to the level we're thinking it might be. I can also understand the fact that by having others view this, there's always risks of having more upheaval. But I suppose, that's not for me to decide. I'm just here to give my thoughts on a cv section, the good and the bad.

Quite frankly, I know I'll live through this, but atleast I thought maybe I can, atleast, try to give my .2 on the matter. I probably won't be posting in here anymore, but I'll still be watching idly, standing by. XD
Old 10-02-2007, 07:04 AM
Staff Member

Car Info: 06 STI
We do need to do something because we do not have a general norcal regional. It should be set up as norcal with BA and SAC being subcategories leaving anyone left out to participate in norcal general region. So there does need to be something for these guys. Its just important to only use it for regional discussions and not only stick to the regionals for all your discussions
Old 10-02-2007, 08:15 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by charlesj
We do need to do something because we do not have a general norcal regional. It should be set up as norcal with BA and SAC being subcategories leaving anyone left out to participate in norcal general region. So there does need to be something for these guys. Its just important to only use it for regional discussions and not only stick to the regionals for all your discussions
The BAIC guys are going to flip out (again).

It's a matter of pride to them - having the BAIC on top of the regional forums, since that's where i-club was founded. If they suddenly become a sub-forum under Norcal, you'll have a riot on your hands.

My $.02
Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Egan
The BAIC guys are going to flip out (again).

It's a matter of pride to them - having the BAIC on top of the regional forums, since that's where i-club was founded. If they suddenly become a sub-forum under Norcal, you'll have a riot on your hands.

My $.02
\

In the words of Perter on Family Guy:
"WHoa..Whoa....Whoa.....Whoa..........Whoa"
Egan, I am definitely NOT asking to create an entire Norcal region. BAIC stays as it is as the top dog of course. I love the BAIC forum as that is what initially heightened my i-club interest in the first place. Creating one giant NorCal glob would be pointless. Rather I am simply attempting to create a place where us Central Valley Folk can organize regional events, installs, etc.
I agree with SPT and lazer drops that your concern over increased regional 'cliquey-ness' is a sound issue. However, I think the number of people attracted to i-club by a created central valley forum would more than make up for this by increasing membership numbers. Gaining new members is never a bad thing; and new members would be impressioned upon immediately that posts need to be forum specific.
Bump for a Central Valley Forum, and a second Bump for continuing the push for forum specific posts.
-Brian
Now in Modesto, CA Just Moved! : )

Quick Reply: Central Valley Forum Request