i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   Tranny? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/tranny-148950/)

Mad Ra88it 11-03-2006 08:48 AM

wow.... i'm.....speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeechless

GT series on Playstation has taught oh too many kids that carbon fibbber driveshafts are amazing and Teh FastAr.

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 09:05 AM

From what I hear, a good aluminum driveshaft fabbed up by a competent driveline shop will help shed pounds for much less $$$.

That is, unless of course, the car already has one. What can I say, it's been awhile since I've had to crawl up underneath my car. :shrugs shoulders:

Kevin M 11-03-2006 09:29 AM

He said "lightweight" not "carbon fiber"... but it's still a waste of money at this point. $700+ will be better spent on cams and header.

T-cel89 11-03-2006 09:52 AM

Yeah the one i found was aluminiun. But BanSUV's makes a good point i could get the cams ground from delta and headers for about that much. Bur are thre any legal headers for the EJ22 out there. And is installing cams on a grip on labor or could i do it myself. I have not done on a horizontal engine before?

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 09:53 AM

I see what you mean BAN SUVS. T-cel89 said "light weight", and Mad Ra88it mentioned "carbon fiber", and my brain automatically linked the two together. My bad.

Kevin M 11-03-2006 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=T-cel89]Yeah the one i found was aluminiun. But BanSUV's makes a good point i could get the cams ground from delta and headers for about that much. Bur are thre any legal headers for the EJ22 out there. And is installing cams on a grip on labor or could i do it myself. I have not done on a horizontal engine before?[/QUOTE]

$700 should get you cams, installed, after core charge if there is one for Delta. also, a lightweight flywheel and clutch will cost the same as that driveshaft and be more effective.

Mad Ra88it 11-03-2006 10:02 AM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]He said "lightweight" not "carbon fiber"... but it's still a waste of money at this point. $700+ will be better spent on cams and header.[/QUOTE]
i know...
BUT....it had to be said.

a driveshaft should be the last thing on your mind when building a beast of a car. Hell.. I'm getting my new one fab'd up, and yet i'm not even going with a 'light weight' one. its just plain retarded/waste of money...and yes...this coming from the person with stupid expensive ranDUMB parts...just cause i can.

/wow rant...

Mad Ra88it 11-03-2006 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=Snot Rod]I see what you mean BAN SUVS. T-cel89 said "light weight", and Mad Ra88it mentioned "carbon fiber", and my brain automatically linked the two together. My bad.[/QUOTE]
no...i said carbon fibbbbber... aka Faux carbon. it was a stab at video game racers. ;)

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=T-cel89]Yeah the one i found was aluminiun...[/QUOTE]
Seven Bennys and change for an aluminum driveshaft? Ouch! Well, scratch that theory that aluminum is much cheaper. Of course, I haven't priced out an aluminum driveshaft in years...

Now that I think about it, scrap prices for aluminum are through the roof right now. I get 50 cents a pound for banged-up Acura wheels the boss lets me take home from work.

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=Mad Ra88it]no...i said carbon fibbbbber... aka Faux carbon. it was a stab at video game racers. ;)[/QUOTE]
Alas, once again, the sarcasm has eluded me. :o

Mad Ra88it 11-03-2006 10:08 AM

[QUOTE=Snot Rod]Alas, once again, the sarcasm has eluded me. :o[/QUOTE]
its ok... read my posts more often, then...assume most of them to be very jackassed and rude. Then...take that, and convert all those hurt feelings to... most posts = full 'o' sarcasm.

winnnnnAr

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]He said "lightweight" not "carbon fiber"... but it's still a waste of money at this point. $700+ will be better spent on cams and header.[/QUOTE]
A word of note, if I may, about engine mods. Swap to a stick trans first, [u]then[/u] do engine mods.

engine mods + stock auto trans = crappy driveability

Snot Rod 11-03-2006 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=Mad Ra88it]its ok... read my posts more often, then...assume most of them to be very jackassed and rude. Then...take that, and convert all those hurt feelings to... most posts = full 'o' sarcasm.

winnnnnAr[/QUOTE]
I C!

T-cel89 11-03-2006 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=BAN SUVS]$700 should get you cams, installed, after core charge if there is one for Delta. also, a lightweight flywheel and clutch will cost the same as that driveshaft and be more effective.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Delta Cams are Re-grind though. They only charge like 75 a Camshaft. I have heard alot of negative ish about reground cams of here though. But im sure they would put a disclamer on the delta site if there was a real serious danger.....Wont they?

And Snot Rod, Yeah ill finish the Tranny first.

Kevin M 11-03-2006 10:44 AM

There's nothing wrong with regrinds.