i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Sacramento & Reno (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/)
-   -   Tranny? (https://www.i-club.com/forums/sacramento-reno-116/tranny-148950/)

T-cel89 10-27-2006 03:45 PM

Tranny?

Eh dudes im planning on swapping out my AT of a MT. Other than the transmission. Clutch MC, and Clutch/Flywheel. What else would i need for the swap?

Thanx

Snot Rod 10-27-2006 03:57 PM

[QUOTE=T-cel89]Eh dudes im planning on swapping out my AT of a MT. Other than the transmission. Clutch MC, and Clutch/Flywheel. What else would i need for the swap?

Thanx[/QUOTE]
Well, you'll need a new pedal set-up to bolt underneath the dash for starters. ;) You might want to P.M. BAN SUVS; IIRC he said something about getting the title for his wrecked 2.5RS lately, and AFAIK he was going to keep the wreck to part out (or something). Good luck!

midnitewrx02 10-27-2006 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=T-cel89]Eh dudes im planning on swapping out my AT of a MT. Other than the transmission. Clutch MC, and Clutch/Flywheel. What else would i need for the swap?

Thanx[/QUOTE]
the rest of the car attached to the MT would be optimal and less painful in the arse :)

kidatari 10-27-2006 04:08 PM

Hajj, I have a WRX 5MT with a shredded 2nd gear, disassembled but complete. I'd let it go for cheap.

Edit: I also have a LSD Rear Diff to go with it ;)

that one legacy 10-28-2006 01:07 AM

IIRC, the complete list of parts you'll need are:

tranny
shift linkage
shift lever
shift knob
shift boot (well, not totally necessary i suppose, but would be hella ghetto without!)
clutch
clutch master cylinder
clutch slave cylinder
clutch fluid lines
MT pedal set
MT ECU (maybe? Matt was saying that you don't need to swap out the ECU on Subarus)
Flywheel set (with the pressure plate, pilot bearing, and throw-out bearing)

and if you're swapping in a tranny that has different gear ratios (which, since you have an L, unless you're swapping in an L MT, it'll probably have different gear ratios), you'll probably want to swap out the rear diff too (unless you like your gears wearing out prematurely that is).

while you're at it, this is a great opportunity to throw on a short shifter, front LSD, and a lightweight driveshaft & flywheel, as well as a stronger clutch! :D

(by the way, if i missed any parts, or listed too many, someone please correct me!)

T-cel89 10-28-2006 02:23 AM

[QUOTE=kidatari]Hajj, I have a WRX 5MT with a shredded 2nd gear, disassembled but complete. I'd let it go for cheap.

Edit: I also have a LSD Rear Diff to go with it ;)[/QUOTE]

It would fit the with the Ej22? Sweet! Check ur pm's y0.

T-cel89 10-28-2006 02:25 AM

Thanx For the help dudes : )

newyorkreload 10-28-2006 02:46 AM

the drive shaft is a different length, need a new one of those as well.

Snot Rod 10-28-2006 07:03 AM

Diff ratios are different between M/T and A/T regardless of model year, trim level, or engine choice. Yer gonna need the rear diff out of the same car you get the trans from. :(

that one legacy 10-28-2006 10:11 AM

expect to spend well over $2K on parts and labor for this swap. and that's if you get a hook up!

newyorkreload 10-28-2006 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=that one legacy]

while you're at it, this is a great opportunity to throw on a short shifter, front LSD, and a lightweight driveshaft & flywheel, as well as a stronger clutch! :D

[/QUOTE]

And the Type RA gear set too...

kidatari 10-28-2006 10:15 AM

[QUOTE=newyorkreload]And the Type RA gear set too...[/QUOTE]

Blah. Go with a PPG straight cut dog-box from GearboxTech. If someone ever breaks those gears with a stock EJ22, I will eat my hat.

If you're gonna go big, go big!

newyorkreload 10-28-2006 10:54 AM

[QUOTE=kidatari]Blah. Go with a PPG straight cut dog-box from GearboxTech. If someone ever breaks those gears with a stock EJ22, I will eat my hat.

If you're gonna go big, go big![/QUOTE]

what is this "PPG straight cut dog-box from GearboxTech" you speak of?

pj21086 10-28-2006 11:13 AM

straight cut sounds so nice. especially with a dogbox. you'll sound like a wrc car.
they cost a grip though. Something like 5k+.
[url]www.gearboxtech.com[/url]

pj21086 10-28-2006 11:21 AM

[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916239&highlight=sound+ppg[/url]