Thursmadayical

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:12 AM

Car Info: Bastard child of Saab and Subaru.
I guess I want a minivan then.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Originally Posted by Sky92x
Get an H2! :banana:
Old 08-10-2006, 09:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by ryball
I heard they are banning cell phones and ipods, too...
International flights only.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Shoulder room and the footwell are identical in the GD. Seats will take care of the shoulder space (and add headroom usually) and possibly the legroom as well. I suppose the GD seats are set farther back in the sedan-only WRX than in the GM?
I've never measured it, I just know I'm more comfortable in my wagon than I am in my RS because my shoulders don't feel as confined, nor do my legs.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Rust and Salt
Since it's essentially impossible to make us 100% safe from terrorists, and not even the remotest infinitessimal possibility in a free society, I'd rather have the convenience.

"Those who would give up essential liberties to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benji Franklin
This is a tough one. Americans these days are too used to having everything at their fingertips. The convenience factor.

Flying on an airplane is not a civil liberty. You know that when you get on a plane, you give up the right to decline a search and seizure. The right to protection from unreasonable search and seizure is guaranteed, but consider the fact that items that were planned to be used in a terrorist plot are seemingly commonplace items. You know that when you get on a plane, you give up the right to decline a search and seizure.

No don't get me wrong, I'm a strong advocate maintaining civil rights. But when faced with a situation where you can either add an ounce of protection at the front line of attempted terrorist attacks, or let it slide and leave the welcome mat out for similar attacks. Everyone is panicking right now because another attack plot surfaced. Things will blow over and the restrictions will loosen again. That is the cycle of security in this country

Edit: I just read up some more on the security restrictions that have been put into place at Airports in the UK. Wow, it is getting kind of crazy. Maybe I'm wrong?

Last edited by kidatari; 08-10-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by Sky92x
No, you want a Forester. It's an Impreza with a couple inches of extra headroom.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by soggynoodles
Get an H2! :banana:
DIAMA.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by kidatari
This is a tough one. Americans these days are too used to having everything at their fingertips. The convenience factor.

Flying on an airplane is not a civil liberty. You know that when you get on a plane, you give up the right to decline a search and seizure. The right to protection from unreasonable search and seizure is guaranteed, but consider the fact that items that were planned to be used in a terrorist plot are seemingly commonplace items. You know that when you get on a plane, you give up the right to decline a search and seizure.

No don't get me wrong, I'm a strong advocate maintaining civil rights. But when faced with a situation where you can either add an ounce of protection at the front line of attempted terrorist attacks, or let it slide and leave the welcome mat out for similar attacks. Everyone is panicking right now because another attack plot surfaced. Things will blow over and the restrictions will loosen again. That is the cycle of security in this country.
I'm only against the reductions of convenience that are inneffective in keeping us safe. The security regulations in place on 9/11/01 were effective enough, with the exception that boxcutters were not prohibited items and we weren't flagging everyone with remotely middle eastern looks. Right now, if 5 or so of us really wanted, I guarantee we could hijack a plane. The only way to 100% ensure safety on a plane is to make us all board butt naked and strap us to our seats when we get there. Probably render us unconscious too. Wee! Oh, and not having any armed Air Marshalls on the flight we try to hijack will help too.

I'm also not arguing that convenient air travel is a civil liberty... I'm just saying that why make things harder on people than we have to, when we have basically no benefit from it?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Testament to Subaru's robustness

Customer towed in his STi...it's his track car.
Tells me the motor won't turn over.
Even with a charged battery & a car hooked up in series.

Anyway, when the car arrives, I try to turn motor over by hand.
Won't budge.

Decide it's time to use my $1,924,873.43 optical bore scope to inspect the cylinders as the owner could not account for a screw.

Pull the plugs from the right bank, inspect, no trouble found.
Pull the left bank and got a surprise.

~ 1/2 gallon of fuel pours out onto the floor.

Drained the oil and along with the 4 liters of oil, ~3/4 gallon of 100 octane go juice flowed out as well.

Changed the oil, installed fresh plugs, and she fired right up.
Smoked like a *****, so I shut her off, removed the fuel-soaked exhaust, and restarted.
I let her idle to warm up the block in order to do a comp/LD test, which it passed.
Replaced the exhaust & rolled her outside to where the smoke would help w/ the mosquito problem.

So far, so good.......I think.

I have a feeling the life expectantcy has been greatly reduced.

Video
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
I'm only against the reductions of convenience that are inneffective in keeping us safe. The security regulations in place on 9/11/01 were effective enough, with the exception that boxcutters were not prohibited items and we weren't flagging everyone with remotely middle eastern looks. Right now, if 5 or so of us really wanted, I guarantee we could hijack a plane. The only way to 100% ensure safety on a plane is to make us all board butt naked and strap us to our seats when we get there. Probably render us unconscious too. Wee! Oh, and not having any armed Air Marshalls on the flight we try to hijack will help too.

I'm also not arguing that convenient air travel is a civil liberty... I'm just saying that why make things harder on people than we have to, when we have basically no benefit from it?

and on that note... Everyone say hello to the FBI Agents that our now reading this thread

President Bush said the arrests are a "stark reminder" that the U.S. is "at war with Islamic fascists."
I wish he had a mute button
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Old 08-10-2006, 09:28 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
good morning
Old 08-10-2006, 09:33 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon

The only price of security is freedom.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
While on vacation at his ranch in Crawford, Texas, over the last several days, Bush has been fully informed of the investigations that led to the arrest of 21 people in Britain who are accused of being involved in the plan.
:rotfl: why does it seem like whenever anything happens he is in crawford?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by GT35 STI
:rotfl: why does it seem like whenever anything happens he is in crawford?
Because he's always on vacation?