Need help picking out a DVR/DigiCam

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Question Need help picking out a DVR/DigiCam

Okay, I'm too lazy to do all of the research I would normally do prior to buying electronics equipment and I'm asking all of you experts for your advice.

Problem Statement:
I need a way to record video in my car at the track. The ability to use the camera for family stuff would be a good selling point too and would make the cost easier to swallow.

I've been looking at a few different systems:

1) Skullcam Helmet camera system. This includes a Sony EX bullet camera, microphone, mount, and Archos 420 MP3 player/Digital Video Recorder w/ 20GB hard drive. I would mount the camera somewhere in or out of the car. It's a nice package at a decent price and it would be cool to have the Archos double as an MP3 player in my car. However I have heard of some problems with the Archos units and pretty crappy customer service. http://www.skullcamz.com

2) Chasecam or Catchitcam. Same idea as above, but includes better mount and does not include a recording system. http://www.chasecam.com http://www.catchitcam.com (Chasecam is supposedly coming out with a purely digital recording system, but who knows when it will ever ship). I would still need #3 below.

3) Traditional video recording system, mounted somewhere in the vehicle.

Anyone have experience one way or the other?

Whether I go for #2 or #3, for the recorder, what do you all recommend? I don't want to go too crazy on the cost, but if it gets used for other things besides track days, I can justify a bit more money.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
For a traditional MiniDV cam, I would go with one of the Canon ZR series cameras. They're small, have great features, and take great movies.

Just a little disclaimer: Canon is known to have extreme low light focus issues. So if you are filming in the dark (wink wink) this is not the camera for you. But other than that, I think they are the best camera for the money.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by ryball
For a traditional MiniDV cam, I would go with one of the Canon ZR series cameras. They're small, have great features, and take great movies.

Just a little disclaimer: Canon is known to have extreme low light focus issues. So if you are filming in the dark (wink wink) this is not the camera for you. But other than that, I think they are the best camera for the money.
That's what a night vision lens is for (or so Paris told me).
Old 04-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
That would be sick to have multiple cameras but that would get expensive.

Just get a MiniDV camera.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 PM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
hmm.. I think soggy needs a new pr0n cam