Looking for a open source tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by johndabrit
Fixed
I'm going to take this approach at work tomorrow.

"Yeah, Mr. CIO, I know your business unit is low on funds due to this economy, and I know that this system outage keeps costing you money you don't have. I don't know what the problem is, but listen, I'm a good guy, you seem like a good guy, I'm gonna take care of you. Now, like I said, I don't know what the problem is, BUT, for half price, I'll modify some configuration files that probably won't make the problem worse."

Then I'll do the elbow nudge thing and be all "eehhhhh?? ehhhhhhh? Sounds good right?"
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
Originally Posted by nachomc
I'm going to take this approach at work tomorrow.

"Yeah, Mr. CIO, I know your business unit is low on funds due to this economy, and I know that this system outage keeps costing you money you don't have. I don't know what the problem is, but listen, I'm a good guy, you seem like a good guy, I'm gonna take care of you. Now, I don't know what the problem is, BUT, for half price, I'll modify some configuration files that probably won't make the problem worse."

Then I'll do the elbow nudge thing and be all "eehhhhh?? ehhhhhhh? Sounds good right?"
Somebody likes to make up stories. I can't even follow that hypothetical mess. I have no idea how you became a VIP member... I'm now also not interested in how you became a VIP member. Good day sir.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by VladiWrX
So what are you suggesting he do? Refuse service to Silas and let his motor kill itself? Tear it apart/rebuild correctly and charge him 10x more money he doesn't have?

What would YOU have done in Eds place?

Don't get me wrong, the situation is ****ty and there is no "easy way out", so I get where you're coming from. But is there a better solution than to at least help the motor not self destruct for a length of time til Silas can afford a proper build?
Care to answer this?

-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Care to answer this?

-- Ed
Sure. I'd have charged him $150.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:45 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

No worries man
That is actually EXACTLY what I told him a few days ago: its not ideal, but I highly doubt the motor is "on its way out" judging by those comp numbers.
Yep I totally agree. We told Silas that the numbers are not horrible but do signal a problem. The engine will likely continue to run for a while, but if he plans on driving it aggressively (he likes to RallyX I believe), I recommended that he be prepared for the possibility of it letting go at some point. If he is not prepared for that possibility, I recommended that he not drive the car aggressively to make the engine last as long as possible until he's ready to fix the problem.

I believe this is perfectly reasonable and I stand by my advice

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by nachomc
Sure. I'd have charged him $150.
Sorry but you're making NO sense (especially for someone with over 25,000 posts!). Try explaining yourself better next time.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Yep I totally agree. We told Silas that the numbers are not horrible but do signal a problem. The engine will likely continue to run for a while, but if he plans on driving it aggressively (he likes to RallyX I believe), I recommended that he be prepared for the possibility of it letting go at some point. If he is not prepared for that possibility, I recommended that he not drive the car aggressively to make the engine last as long as possible until he's ready to fix the problem.

I believe this is perfectly reasonable and I stand by my advice

Thanks
-- Ed
He's going to baby it. I gave him a boost gauge that he will install to help keep that right foot from getting greedy and going into boost as much as possible

I'm already pricing out a rebuild for him for the future
Old 01-19-2010, 02:51 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inquisition

1 : the act of inquiring : examination
2 : a judicial or official inquiry or examination usually before a jury; also : the finding of the jury

I'll take Merriam-Webster over wikipedia

-- Ed
the provided definition doesn't change the fact that you misused the word grammatically, cupcake. try taking an English class before you get lippy.

your usage of reflexive pronouns is conflicting; your preposition may also function as an indefinite article. you attempt to use "inquisition" (lower case), as a reflexive pronoun and as the target of your preposition. unfortunately the personal pronoun, for which the reflexive is used, can be read as both the plural form of "you" (or: you all) and "it" depending on how the context of the reader.

next time try using the appropriate form, "inquest".

QED

ps - **** the rest of you grammar ****'s; i know i didn't capitalize or properly punctuate any of this.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

He's going to baby it. I gave him a boost gauge that he will install to help keep that right foot from getting greedy and going into boost as much as possible

I'm already pricing out a rebuild for him for the future
Excellent! Sounds like you're a good friend.

-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by irrational x
the provided definition doesn't change the fact that you misused the word grammatically, cupcake. try taking an English class before you get lippy.

your usage of reflexive pronouns is conflicting; your preposition may also function as an indefinite article. you attempt to use "inquisition" (lower case), as a reflexive pronoun and as the target of your preposition. unfortunately the personal pronoun, for which the reflexive is used, can be read as both the plural form of "you" (or: you all) and "it" depending on how the context of the reader.

next time try using the appropriate form, "inquest".

QED

ps - **** the rest of you grammar ****'s; i know i didn't capitalize or properly punctuate any of this.
Quoted for absurdity.

I'm not an English major, I'm an engineer and English is my second language. I seem to be getting by just fine, "cupcake"

-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Quoted for absurdity.

I'm not an English major, I'm an engineer and English is my second language. I seem to be getting by just fine, "cupcake"

-- Ed
neither am i, but i did pass the 8th grade.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
What about the differences in Tuning software with the ability to read the Subaru sensor differently. I read somewhere that EcuTek is the best at reading Subaru sensors vs. other brands. Something to due with how it cycles...

Just tried looking for that info again on the EcuTek site and its been updated a lot and a can't find it. Probably old thinking again...
Old 01-19-2010, 02:58 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by 65MPH
It seems like you are using this tread to go after EQ, all along pretending that you care about the issue at hand. Just so you know i dont go to EQ, but I could not help but notice your constant attraction to Ed.
Quoted in case someone missed this comment from a 3rd party reading this thread.

-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by ScoobySon
What about the differences in Tuning software with the ability to read the Subaru sensor differently. I read somewhere that EcuTek is the best at reading Subaru sensors vs. other brands. Something to due with how it cycles...

Just tried looking for that info again on the EcuTek site and its been updated a lot and a can't find it. Probably old thinking again...
That likely has to do with the data transfer rate of the logging software. Most current logging software has the ability to log faster than the factory ECU can feed the data, so the limitation is within the ECU's communication protocol (SSM) rather than the software collecting the data. As far as what parameters are available for logging, all of the loggers today have access to most of the same parameters.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
VIP Member

Quoted in case someone missed this comment from a 3rd party reading this thread.

-- Ed
Paul asking logical questions about the service someone received isn't attacking you just because what you did was shady. If you're afraid of the answers, change your behavior.

Quick Reply: Looking for a open source tuner.